Carlos rodon

Dominikk85

It was only two starts but so far he has been insane. 32% Ks vs just 4% walks.

Interestingly he has massively ramped up his slider usage to 40%, basically Corbin style. This is probably not quite sustainable but the slider is a very good pitch.

Just hope he can stay healthy.

Should the sox try to trade him due to his injury risk? Or can he become the staff ace they need?

8 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Interestingly he has massively ramped up his slider usage to 40%, basically Corbin style. This is probably not quite sustainable but the slider is a very good pitch.

Should the sox try to trade him due to his injury risk? Or can he become the staff ace they need?

I don't see why that wouldn't be sustainable.

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rodon has the chops to be an ace.  Staying healthy has been his issue.  

I'm still worried about his shoulder long term.  I'd totally try and sell high this year on him and look to spend money on bringing in some decent vets the next few years into the rotation.  Probably won't happen but I can hope.

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm still worried about his shoulder long term.  I'd totally try and sell high this year on him and look to spend money on bringing in some decent vets the next few years into the rotation.  Probably won't happen but I can hope.

Yah I'd rather hold onto the high upside lefty than sign some "decent vets".  But if someone wants to pay the moon for him, you obviously listen. 

57 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wonder if Rodon regrets not signing an early extension?

Top young position players should be hesitant to sign the types of early extensions we are seeing (although I still get why they do because $100M guaranteed isn't exactly easy to pass up.  But pitchers that are offered these deals should absolutely jump on them.  Sure some guys will be leaving money on the table with how precarious a pitcher's career is it seems like taking the guaranteed big money is almost always going to be the way to go.

3 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Rodon is never going to be the staff ace on a legit World Series contender. He just isn't consistent enough. 

Rodon is fine as a number 4 or number 5 guy. He ain't ever gonna turn into a Snell of Kershaw though. 

He's leaning heavily on his slider, as he should. The sequencing was often terrible.

He didn't bother with a changeup until the fourth. He threw one two seamer that I saw.

The four seamer has regressed.

It's just an odd, odd profile.

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

Rodon is never going to be the staff ace on a legit World Series contender. He just isn't consistent enough. 

Rodon is fine as a number 4 or number 5 guy. He ain't ever gonna turn into a Snell of Kershaw though. 

Second this, Yeah he's already the ace of this awful team, but a below average 2 or solid 3 on most competing clubs

3 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

Problem is we are not producing the 1s and 2s that we need.

What team is doing that though?  There are a handful of true 1s in the league.  Kopech could be a 2, Cease could be a 2.5, Dunning, Hansen jury still out.

I just feel like it's too early to call that shot.

Oh and a big Edit YIKES, Chris Sale?

Edited by BackDoorBreach

50 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Why would anybody be mad if he turned into a solid #3.  I will take that every day with him.  He just needs to stay healthy.

I don't know about mad, but disappointed and frustrated yes. Because would you pay the $100 million contract to keep a solid #3 starter around after 2021? Would your team give up top flight talent in a trade for a #3 starter at the deadline? That's not the worst possible result, if Kopech and Cease turn into stellar pitchers in 2020 and 2021 then he's useful, but otherwise it leaves the White Sox with very little to show for him. He won't be a difference maker helping this team turn around their struggles if he's only a #3, he won't command a king's ransom in a trade, and he won't be a particularly good free agent buy if he's a mid-rotation starter at best. 

Sooner or later (probably sooner) the Sox are going to have to come to the realization that with Scott Boras as his agent, the odds are very small of him signing an extension with the Sox. he's going to free agency ESPECIALLY if he stays healthy and is reasonably productive.

Given those factors the Sox are going to have to trade him and trade him when his value is at the highest. That's not one year from free agency but probably two years out. Unless new ownership is in place the chances of them signing him after he becomes a free agent are very small in my opinion as an aside. You get the most you can for him via trade because you'll get nothing for him as soon as he hits the market.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

What team is doing that though?  There are a handful of true 1s in the league.  Kopech could be a 2, Cease could be a 2.5, Dunning, Hansen jury still out.

I just feel like it's too early to call that shot.

Oh and a big Edit YIKES, Chris Sale?

If the the Sox don't come out with a "true" #1 from this crop when this all settles,  it will be hard to swallow.   

28 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Sooner or later (probably sooner) the Sox are going to have to come to the realization that with Scott Boras as his agent, the odds are very small of him signing an extension with the Sox. he's going to free agency ESPECIALLY if he stays healthy and is reasonably productive.

Given those factors the Sox are going to have to trade him and trade him when his value is at the highest. That's not one year from free agency but probably two years out. Unless new ownership is in place the chances of them signing him after he becomes a free agent are very small in my opinion as an aside. You get the most you can for him via trade because you'll get nothing for him as soon as he hits the market.

It sounds good in theory, but if the Sox came to you with Rodon right now, knowing full well who his agent is,  what would you give up for him? 

He has no real value until he goes on a sustained run.

10 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

If the the Sox don't come out with a "true" #1 from this crop when this all settles,  it will be hard to swallow.   

Unless they go get one like Cubs, Astros, Red Sox did. 

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It sounds good in theory, but if the Sox came to you with Rodon right now, knowing full well who his agent is,  what would you give up for him? 

He has no real value until he goes on a sustained run.

As I wrote, "if he stays healthy and is reasonably productive." But the bottom line is that at some point I'd suspect the Sox will be dealing him and to try to get the most that you can he has to be dealt with two years or a year and a half left on his deal. It's not like the Sox will be doing anything before 2021 at the earliest in my opinion so trading him sooner rather than later is probably the wisest course.