04/09/2019 Sox vs Rays

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I believe this to be true. I'm not sure he ever gets another job. 

Best GM of the Reinsdorf era was Himes.

Not even close.

For all his other flaws, the guy recognized talent.

Edited by GradMc

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

If that was the case, unlike Gar who probably couldn't get another NBA job unless it was guarding the locker room door, Hahn has at least had other opportunities to pursue, which he passed. So if KW rules and he is just a yes man, he deserves all the criticism anyway.

I can't imagine any other major league sports organization trusting their future to the likes of Kenny-Hahn or Gar-Pax.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If three seasons in with capital like Sale, Q, and Eaton to trade, the Sox are still losing 100 games, it is a big deal. It shows the guys in charge have no clue. This wasn't starting from scratch. They started on second base.

There is no perfect blueprint for completing a rebuild. The Sox have had a ton of injuries and under performance from key guys. This is a slow burn rebuild. Remember that Houston lost 100 games for 3 years straight. This will year 2 of the Sox 100 loss seasons. This year and next are gonna be very very ugly. 

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If three seasons in with capital like Sale, Q, and Eaton to trade, the Sox are still losing 100 games, it is a big deal. It shows the guys in charge have no clue. This wasn't starting from scratch. They started on second base.

I'm getting sick of making this point. I don't think I could handle another year of it. 

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

There is no perfect blueprint for completing a rebuild. The Sox have had a ton of injuries and under performance from key guys. This is a slow burn rebuild. Remember that Houston lost 100 games for 3 years straight. This will year 2 of the Sox 100 loss seasons. This year and next are gonna be very very ugly. 

Then they failed at trading the guys they did. Simple as that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Also, they absolutely should be putting Colome and Herrera on the market. With so many contending teams having huge reliever issues, now is the time to maximize their value.

St.Theo would trade for them in a heartbeat.

Do the Cubs have anything we want - other than an owner who doesn't care about spending some bucks?

Edited by GradMc

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

To be fair, he is the Gar to Kenny's Paxon, and i have a minor feeling that KW makes most of the decisions. It just feels like the organizational structure is the same as the Bulls. 

And here it is. KW evil incarnate.

19 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I just don't understand the point of jumping off of a bridge 10 games into a season.

I'm thrilled that Moncada is making progress, Anderson is raking, Eloy is apparently not a bust, Abreu is as solid as ever. That's all I want from the lineup anyway - who cares if placeholders like Palka, Engel, and Yolmer can't hit? I don't. They gone.

Yes, our pitching staff largely appears to be a dumpster fire, but I think Rodon had a bad start yesterday and will round into form and we saw some flashes that Giolito is potentially making progress. We also KNEW our pitching staff was largely gonna be a dumpster fire this year.

1. A whole lot of people talked themselves into the notion that this team was ready to make a giant leap this season, and could have competed with the major addition we talked about. Those people are now being hit with the idea that the pitching staff isn't anywhere near making the leap they hoped it would, and that the guys they hoped could be valuable stop-gaps (including Santana) aren't doing that. So I think you're getting reactions from those people. 

2. The White Sox spent $44 million in new money this offseason and it seems to have made no difference. That's also frustrating, there was a pretty large expenditure over the offseason and had they not spent that money, you could have written that exact same post without changing a word. So, what was the point of all those moves? Are we ok with just lighting that money on fire? They literally cried poor this offseason. That continues to be a source of frustration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Baker said:

The Rays are a cheap-ass outfit. They’re spending $28M less than the Sox on payroll this year

They have massive structural disadvantages and yet still produce a competitive team more often than not.  Wish I was a rays fan honestly.  Tired of the Sox' BS.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Kenny isn't evil incarnate. I know why he has a job. Fine. Keep him the fuck away from baseball ops. 

Kenny’s at least put together a few winning teams as GM

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Kenny isn't evil incarnate. I know why he has a job. Fine. Keep him the fuck away from baseball ops. 

And you are positive that the bad deals are his and not Hahns.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

And you are positive that the bad deals are his and not Hahns.

No, I'm not. The issue is the intentional organizational structure that makes it nearly impossible to point the finger at someone. I choose to point the finger at both. 

There are some deals that have Kenny's fingerprints on them. I believe Tatis/Shields is one of them. Most of this is on Hahn but there are a few that are on KW. I think the Sale deal was Kenny.  Eaton and Quintana were Hahn. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

It ain't stopping anytime soon unfortunately. There is still plenty of tank left in the engine. 100 losses again this year is very very likely. 

"Plenty of Tank left in the Engine'

Brilliantly sums up the state of this Organization

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

1. A whole lot of people talked themselves into the notion that this team was ready to make a giant leap this season, and could have competed with the major addition we talked about. Those people are now being hit with the idea that the pitching staff isn't anywhere near making the leap they hoped it would, and that the guys they hoped could be valuable stop-gaps (including Santana) aren't doing that. So I think you're getting reactions from those people. 

2. The White Sox spent $44 million in new money this offseason and it seems to have made no difference. That's also frustrating, there was a pretty large expenditure over the offseason and had they not spent that money, you could have written that exact same post without changing a word. So, what was the point of all those moves? Are we ok with just lighting that money on fire? They literally cried poor this offseason. That continues to be a source of frustration.

Plugging Machado in the middle of this lineup, considering Moncada/Eloy/Anderson/Abreu, and subtracting a hole would have meant we might be 4-6 or 5-5 right now instead of 3-7. That feels a lot different to me because 5-5 feels like 85 wins isn't out of reach. 3-7 with this pitching as it is - our lineup as constructed just can't catch up unless we stop having three black holes.

Also, are we blaming things like Kopech's injury on Hahn's ability to rebuild? What about Carlos Rodon's loss of command/velocity? Is that also Hahn's fault? What about Giolito's or Lopez's issues in taking the next step? All of these assets were universally lauded as great pieces. There really wasn't anyone who wasn't high on these players. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, I'm not. The issue is the intentional organizational structure that makes it nearly impossible to point the finger at someone. I choose to point the finger at both. 

That's not what you said you said you had and a feeling KW makes most of the decisions and that's why they are bad. That's a long way from saying you blame them both.

Just now, ptatc said:

That's not what you said you said you had and a feeling KW makes most of the decisions and that's why they are bad. That's a long way from saying you blame them both.

I didn't say that. I said it wasn't outside the realms of possibility.