Chris Sale

wrathofhahn

David Schoenfield:

"Chris Sale is done after four innings, seven hits, five runs, three strikeouts and 76 pitches. He did get 11 swinging strikes, an improvement over his last start, but his average fastball velocity of 91.8 mph remained below last year's levels (even comparing to April, when his four-seam fastball averaged 93.4 mph). Here's the scary note: It took 83 pitches this season before Sale got a swing-and-miss on his fastball"

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

David Schoenfield:

"Chris Sale is done after four innings, seven hits, five runs, three strikeouts and 76 pitches. He did get 11 swinging strikes, an improvement over his last start, but his average fastball velocity of 91.8 mph remained below last year's levels (even comparing to April, when his four-seam fastball averaged 93.4 mph). Here's the scary note: It took 83 pitches this season before Sale got a swing-and-miss on his fastball"

Holy hell, he's broke

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

David Schoenfield:

I watched the game on ESPN and saw the same thing. His stuff didn't look electric like last year (though in all fairness it was cold) and we all know he had those arm problems to end the year.

It will be interesting to see what happens. One thing I do know is if there is something wrong there is no hiding it from the Boston media for long.

Edited by wrathofhahn

• Quin pinned and unpinned this topic
5 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Sale went through periodic issues like this with the Sox. Maybe something is structurally wrong and this time there's a serious injury. But having Sale continue to pitch right now seems reckless.

He had periods of dead arm but nothing like this and it stretches back to last season.

Do people remember last year, when people, especially Red Sox people, were saying that the White Sox really got taken in that trade. I know many Red Sox fans were smirking about that trade. 

Well, with the Moncada we have this year, and the Sale that Boston suddenly seems to have, this trade looks pretty good to me right now. 

Also, remember we got Kopech, Basabe, and Diaz also in that trade. So even if Sale were completely healthy for a long time onward, I never felt that the White Sox were taken by any stretch. Of couse, Moncada was the important one in that trade, and (I know it's early, but) he's looking awfully good right now. 

I guess that old saying that you have to wait a few years before you can ever judge a trade is being proved true. But the scales are tipping in favor of the White Sox with that trade now. 

14 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Do people remember last year, when people, especially Red Sox people, were saying that the White Sox really got taken in that trade. I know many Red Sox fans were smirking about that trade. 

Well, with the Moncada we have this year, and the Sale that Boston suddenly seems to have, this trade looks pretty good to me right now. 

Also, remember we got Kopech, Basabe, and Diaz also in that trade. So even if Sale were completely healthy for a long time onward, I never felt that the White Sox were taken by any stretch. Of couse, Moncada was the important one in that trade, and (I know it's early, but) he's looking awfully good right now. 

I guess that old saying that you have to wait a few years before you can ever judge a trade is being proved true. But the scales are tipping in favor of the White Sox with that trade now. 

Did you miss that whole World Series championship the Red Sox won six months ago?  They are 100% fine with the trade and always will be.

Now the decision to give Sale the extension is a completely different discussion.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Did you miss that whole World Series championship the Red Sox won six months ago?  They are 100% fine with the trade and always will be.

Now the decision to give Sale the extension is a completely different discussion.

To play devil's advocate, the Red Sox won the division by 8 games and Sale was pretty bad throughout the playoffs, you could argue that he wasn't really integral to the championship last year.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

To play devil's advocate, the Red Sox won the division by 8 games and Sale was pretty bad throughout the playoffs, you could argue that he wasn't really integral to the championship last year.

That also discredits how many times he went deep into games and saved the bullpen, as if it's so easy to find any starting pitching nowadays to even go 5 innings in a game.

The Red Sox made that trade to get 3 years of Sale at a very great price.  Season 1 they got 200+ IP at a 2.90 ERA, the Cy Young runner up and made the playoffs.  Season 2 it was only 158 IP, but at a 2.11 ERA, 4th place Cy Young and they won the World Series.  Even if this season is a complete bust, I highly doubt there would be any regrets for that trade.  If Moncada becomes a stud, then I'd say both sides "won" the trade.  

As I said earlier, if this injury is very serious, then the whole issue is the decision to sign him to an extension, not the trade with the other Sox.

• Like 2

Yeah, the White Sox win the deal if Moncada turns into an MVP and Kopech turns into a Cy Young caliber pitcher. Maybe if they're both All-Stars and Basabe is a regular.

Or if they contribute to a championship as three main factors.

Otherwise, the Red Sox got a ring out of trading for Sale. He 100% contributed.