The Rick Hahn Dynasty

WBWSF

This is the 7th year of the Rick Hahn Dynasty. I never thought for one minute that the White Sox would sign Harper or Machado. I wasn't the least bit upset when they signed elsewhere. This  team is never going to spend $300 million on any player. I did think that Hahn would upgrade the pitching staff. He did upgrade the back of the bullpen. He did nothing to improve the starting pitching. This starting rotation could go down in history as the worse in franchise history. I can't help but wonder, is Hahn this incompetent/stupid ? or is he trying to lose as many games as possible  with the hope of getting a high draft choice?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

This is the 7th year of the Rick Hahn Dynasty. I never thought for one minute that the White Sox would sign Harper or Machado. I wasn't the least bit upset when they signed elsewhere. This  team is never going to spend $300 million on any player. I did think that Hahn would upgrade the pitching staff. He did upgrade the back of the bullpen. He did nothing to improve the starting pitching. This starting rotation could go down in history as the worse in franchise history. I can't help but wonder, is Hahn this incompetent/stupid ? or is he trying to lose as many games as possible  with the hope of getting a high draft choice?

Yes. The answer is yes. 

WBWSF, you'd get hired by the Sox to be GM and then when Uncle Jerry gives you the rules you have to operate by you'd resign immediately. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Rick Hahn spent top 10 draft picks in 2014 and 2015 on starting pitching, in his 3 biggest rebuilding trades he brought back 5 high level starting pitchers, and he's traded for others and drafted others outside the first round who you hope might be able to give depth and fill in the back of a rotation at some point. Acquiring starting pitching (and acquiring relievers) was the biggest part of his rebuild plan. 

It is simply impossible to "Sign or trade" for enough starting pitching to make up for that part of the plan not working. Like it or not, your starting pitching the next few years will go as far as Kopech, Rodon, Cease, Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, and a few others take you. He isn't going to be able to "improve" the starting pitching any other way than by making the talent in this organization into successful big leaguers. You might get 1 addition of good money, but seriously would this team suddenly be contending for a world series if they had signed Keuchel instead of Santana? 

6 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

How did you expect him to improve it? 3 rotation spots were locked for Rodon, Giolito, and Lopez and one spot for a project to keep the seat warm for when Cease is ready.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Acquiring starting pitching (and acquiring relievers) was the biggest part of his rebuild plan. 

If you are right about acquiring relievers, then that is a big problem. Acquire starters - relievers will present themselves after evaluation as starter.  The next step down for a ceilling reliever is to be an org minor leaguer, if not out of baseball.
Still I don't see the Sox grab of starters as inordinate.  And even if it was, pitching is way behind position players, showing how poorly executed it was.  Sox can get by with Rondon and Leury as a position player; if you're 1 starter light, you'r sunk (see the Sox 2001-2004).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Hahn has been one of the top 2 decision makers in the Sox org for 15+ years now. We know exactly what he is. There is no rational argument I can see in favor of Hahn being anything besides a mediocre (at best) executive. The entire organization is rotten and needs to be replaced. We know that isn't going to happen until there is new ownership.

It is what it is.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hahn has been one of the top 2 decision makers in the Sox org for 15+ years now. We know exactly what he is. There is no rational argument I can see in favor of Hahn being anything besides a mediocre (at best) executive. The entire organization is rotten and needs to be replaced. We know that isn't going to happen until there is new ownership.

It is what it is.

This post is accurate. 

I repeat: We're in a Dollar Bill Wirtz situation here. There is no change until ownership changes. Don't expect wins, and you won't be disappointed. 

8 minutes ago, Nokona said:

He's fine.  Can't judge the rebuild for another 2 years due to these injuries we've suffered.  

He’s been the Sox GM for longer than the current rebuild period.

“Rick Hahn (born March 20, 1971) is the vice president and general manager of the Chicago White Sox.  Since his promotion before the 2013 season, his teams have a 419–553 record and no postseason appearances.

Rebuild or not, he’s bad.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

When did this message board turn so anti-Rick Hahn? I remember last year posters like Balta,  Tom Longo, Fathom, and a few others were beating the fire Hahn drum pretty loud and getting lots of flack for it. Now everyone and their Grandma is saying to fire Hahn. 

What happened?

7 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

When did this message board turn so anti-Rick Hahn? I remember last year posters like Balta,  Tom Longo, Fathom, and a few others were beating the fire Hahn drum pretty loud and getting lots of flack for it. Now everyone and their Grandma is saying to fire Hahn. 

What happened?

An embarrassing offseason in which he failed to sign one of his two top targets with very little competition for their services but managed to waste $13 million on the friends and family of one of them after talking about how the Sox would be big players in free agency.

Expecting the fans to be happy that the Sox were “at the table for both Machado and Harper.”

Saying that “the money will be spent” without the additional qualifier that it would only be spent on players already within the organization, not premier free agents.

Spending $45 million total on junk this past offseason.

The Shields trade has also aged hilariously bad.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

What happened?

One of the most embarrassing offseasons in baseball history?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

What happened?

The Manny fiasco angered some of those who like(d) our front office. I enjoy reading rips of Hahn on here. It helps soothe the pain of defeat just a bit.

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

An embarrassing offseason in which he failed to sign one of his two top targets but managed to waste $13 million on the friends and family of one of them after talking about how the Sox would be big players in free agency.

Expecting the fans to be happy that the Sox were “at the table for both Machado and Harper.”

Saying that “the money will be spent” without the additional qualifier that it would only be spent on players already within the organization, not premier free agents.

Spending $45 million total on junk this past offseason.

Also, the Shields trade has also aged about as badly as it gets.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I'm not gonna sit here and say that Rick Hahn had a great offseason but he isn't the one who signs the checks.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol yep. That will do it. Hahn and KW failed well before the rebuild began. I think a huge part of the problem is JR. However, you see smaller market teams experience playoff success due to creativeness and fantastic scouting and development. The White Sox theoretically should have more financial resources of those small market teams, yet they can't figure it out. Not good.

Just now, GreatScott82 said:

Lol yep. That will do it. Hahn and KW failed well before the rebuild began. I think a huge part of the problem is JR. However, you see smaller market teams experience playoff success due to creativeness and fantastic scouting and development. The White Sox theoretically should have more financial resources of those small market teams, yet they can't figure it out. Not good.

The reality is our front office has to deal with Jerry’s limitations and therefore should not be out there swinging their dick around all offseason like they’re going to land a big fish when they’re not even able to make a make what most would deem a market-level offer.  That to me is the biggest offense and proof these guys are beyond incompetent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

My biggest problem is that we are behind schedule by what looks like a year and a half. We went after Manny and Joc, and probably wanted a few other guys contingent on getting those two. It didn't happen and now we are moving on like nothing happened. Clearly, this rebuild was meant to be expedited this season. I don't trust that Hahn can bring in the talent to take us to the next level. I am confident we will have enough talent to be relevant, but not enough to go on a Cubs, Royals, or Astros run. 

It was this offseason for me. It should have and very easily could have been a massive turning point for the rebuild, direction, narrative, everything to do with this team. Even beyond Machado and Harper. And they not only failed to do anything meaningful, they did it in the most embarrassing, fan murdering way possible, and then proceeded to make things worse by spewing a bunch of nonsense trying to save face and basically insulting the intelligence of what little fanbase remains in the process. It still boggles my mind when I look back at the sheer incompetence and lack of accountability in this entire organization. I realize Hahn isn’t the only one to blame, but he’s certainly one of the big ones. He’s the goddamn GM, not an intern.

So, yeah... I’m done giving that dipshit any benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

My biggest problem is that we are behind schedule by what looks like a year and a half. We went after Manny and Joc, and probably wanted a few other guys contingent on getting those two. It didn't happen and now we are moving on like nothing happened. Clearly, this rebuild was meant to be expedited this season. I don't trust that Hahn can bring in the talent to take us to the next level. I am confident we will have enough talent to be relevant, but not enough to go on a Cubs, Royals, or Astros run. 

What these three teams did is not easy. Also, KC tanked for a decade plus in order to build a World Series winner. 

A third of the league is actively tanking. There isn't going to be seats for everyone when the game of musical chairs stops. 

Just now, OneDog847 said:

What these three teams did is not easy. Also, KC tanked for a decade plus in order to build a World Series winner. 

A third of the league is actively tanking. There isn't going to be seats for everyone when the game of musical chairs stops. 

All the more reason to strike while the iron is hot, sign a big time 6 WAR 3B and get on with it.  So frustrating!