The Rick Hahn Dynasty

WBWSF

I don't understand the "we should spend money on players unlikely to be good because nothing matters". I mean, in the lowest stakes possible, they should be practicing on acquisitions to see if the things they are scouting prove to be effective.

Hahn for a while had a fixation on bringing sinkerball relievers in front of a bad defense. Then Nova was an obssession on strike throwing above all else.

Due to colome/herrerra/banuelos, in terms of production we are at a pretty similar level as the twins. But wouldn't you rather be actually getting an .850 ops out of your dh if that was your goal? Wouldnt you rather actually spend 16 million for that vs. 8 million for .700 ops?

Anyway they are bad at paying an extra 4-5 million for players that are not 4-5 million better than the 3-4 million dumpster dive players, while resisting paying 5-6 million more for people that are legitimate starters.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You do realize "Banks" are a thing that exists right? That $45 million today >>> $30 million in 10 years because money can be saved and stored for future use?

Thats not how this works. Just because it was “saved” today doesn’t mean it will be available in the future.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he gets all the way to free agency hitting like this, he'd score well over $350 million in the current market. If he gets to his arbitration years and you want to extend him, that's comparable to what Arenado got this year. Pick your number, an extension for Moncada is a $200 million+ contract or he has no reason whatsoever to sign it.

I mean it's certainly $200 million+ but he would not bank $350 million as an age 29 free agent in today's market. 

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Thats not how this works. Just because it was “saved” today doesn’t mean it will be available in the future.

It's actually even worse because of inflation so that the $45 million today is worth >$50 million 10 years from now, but overall, it's money. This is literally why humans developed it; to transfer goods and services across space and time without having to worry about the barter system. It doesn't go bad. You may not put it in a bank, you may pay down debts, you may take profits right now and distribute that to shareholders so that they're still content later if you run a deficit to pay for your contending roster, but there is no reason why those funds aren't fungible across multiple years.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he gets all the way to free agency hitting like this, he'd score well over $350 million in the current market. If he gets to his arbitration years and you want to extend him, that's comparable to what Arenado got this year. Pick your number, an extension for Moncada is a $200 million+ contract or he has no reason whatsoever to sign it.

$200M to lock him up thru 2029 (age 34). Sure, I’d do it.

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

Someone tell Rick that then with his “the money will be spent” line

I have no doubt Jerry is comfortable carrying a $125M-130M payroll and I have little doubt they will hit that number within the next few years. But I also think Jerry imposes a relatively hard cap so if they are locking down someone like Machado at $30M AAV it very well may mean they are unable to afford a Moncada or Robert extension in the future if they are already pushing up against Jerry’s self-imposed cap.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Oh yea, they are out there but it seems it has become increasingly difficult to land guys like Cain and JDM and more common to land the duds via free agency.

I think it is like everything else, you play the percentages. Remember less than 50% of Top 100 prospects make it in the MLB.  It would be interesting to see what % of FA signings match or exceed their previous season.  

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

At this point in time, one would have to say Rick's off season acquisitions (Nova, Alonzo, Santana and Jay) have been nothing short of a major failure.

At this point in time one would have to say the Rick Hahn era  has been nothing short of a major failure.

• Thanks 1

My biggest concern with Hahn is the years long track record of abysmal drafts. The Cubs, Astros, and Royals rebuilds started with great drafting. They supplemented with free agents, but we shouldn't even need to do that because we traded great players for a bounty of stud prospects instead. Where are our homegrown reinforcements, though? This rebuild will not be successful if we miss on both the draft and free agents. 

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I have no doubt Jerry is comfortable carrying a $125M-130M payroll and I have little doubt they will hit that number within the next few years. But I also think Jerry imposes a relatively hard cap so if they are locking down someone like Machado at $30M AAV it very well may mean they are unable to afford a Moncada or Robert extension in the future if they are already pushing up against Jerry’s self-imposed cap.

There's all kinds of wrong going on when you suggest this benevolent owner of ours will be "comfortable carrying a $125M-130M payroll...within the next few years", when the MLB median payroll last year was $140M.  And this business about "Jerry's self-imposed cap" and his "relatively hard cap"?  I mean, what is this rubbish!  How has his fiscal policy served the on-field success of this franchise these past four decades, and in particular, this last one!  You make it sound like his approach is reasonable and acceptable to you as a fan.  

1 hour ago, Fan O'Faust said:

There's all kinds of wrong going on when you suggest this benevolent owner of ours will be "comfortable carrying a $125M-130M payroll...within the next few years", when the MLB median payroll last year was $140M.  And this business about "Jerry's self-imposed cap" and his "relatively hard cap"?  I mean, what is this rubbish!  How has his fiscal policy served the on-field success of this franchise these past four decades, and in particular, this last one!  You make it sound like his approach is reasonable and acceptable to you as a fan.  

It is what it is. Look around the division. No owner in the AL Central is breaking the bank in terms of payroll. If the team bumps the payroll to $125-130M by 2021, they should be one of, if not the division favorite. If they aren’t, something clearly went wrong with the rebuild along the way. As long as the young core continues to develop, I remain optimistic that this team will be very competitive starting in 2021, two years from now.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It is what it is. Look around the division. No owner in the AL Central is breaking the bank in terms of payroll. If the team bumps the payroll to $125-130M by 2021, they should be one of, if not the division favorite. If they aren’t, something clearly went wrong with the rebuild along the way. As long as the young core continues to develop, I remain optimistic that this team will be very competitive starting in 2021, two years from now.

Frankly, whether the team bumps the salary up to that level or not, they should be the division favorite by then, otherwise a huge amount of talent has flopped. If they do bump the salary up, they're going to be finding junk like what we found this offseason, since the next 2 seasons the FA market looks incredibly bleak after all the extensions this offseason.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Frankly, whether the team bumps the salary up to that level or not, they should be the division favorite by then, otherwise a huge amount of talent has flopped. If they do bump the salary up, they're going to be finding junk like what we found this offseason, since the next 2 seasons the FA market looks incredibly bleak after all the extensions this offseason.

I think the Indians will be trending downwards in a big way by 2021 but I’m not sure the Sox will be a clear favorite over the Twins even if the Sox top prospects perform well.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think the Indians will be trending downwards in a big way by 2021 but I’m not sure the Sox will be a clear favorite over the Twins even if the Sox top prospects perform well.

That would mean that a whole lot of white sox talent imploded.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:24 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

At this point in time, one would have to say Rick's off season acquisitions (Nova, Alonzo, Santana and Jay) have been nothing short of a major failure.

Also acquired Banuelos, McCann, Herrera, Josh Osich and Colome along with Preston Tucker and Brandon Guyer. Rebuilding teams do this a lot ya know. Most suck and continue to search.