Let's not adopt Cub rituals, Sox fans

SweatyFreddy

If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance, but I'm pretty sure there were a couple of times during last weekend's series vs. the Mariners that fans were throwing home run balls hit by Mariners players back onto the field. C'mon, folks. Throwing an opposing player's home run ball back onto the field is a silly, stupid Cub ritual. Let's not sink to their level.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, SweatyFreddy said:

If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance, but I'm pretty sure there were a couple of times during last weekend's series vs. the Mariners that fans were throwing home run balls hit by Mariners players back onto the field. C'mon, folks. Throwing an opposing player's home run ball back onto the field is a silly, stupid Cub ritual. Let's not sink to their level.

I hate when fans do that. You literally have a piece of MLB history in your hands. Keep it, give it to a kid, or let an opposing fan have it who will appreciate it. So ignorant throwing it back on the field. Plus you get ejected for doing so, and I believe fined. Hope it's worth that to those morons.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SweatyFreddy said:

This is awful news our fans are doing this. Just make sure you eject them from the stadium and maybe fans will get the hint. Awful to copy the cubs. Thank goodness they are ejecting the fans who do it. Ridiculous behavior!

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

Here'a another cringe-worthy article from 2011. 

Hartsell was sitting in the stands in left-center at Rangers Ballpark during the ninth inning Saturday night when Albert Pujols hit his record-tying third home run of the game. Fans reached up to catch the home run ball as it landed two rows in front of her, the ball deflected off their hands and smacked Jordan in the chest. Her mother picked the ball up from the ground and handed it to Jordan. For a brief moment, she held baseball history in her fingers. Just three players in history have hit three home runs in a World Series game -- Babe Ruth (twice), Reggie Jackson and Pujols. And she had the historic ball in her hand! But because the ridiculous trend is for fans to throw back opponent's home runs, Hartsell immediately whipped the valuable souvenir onto the field.

:jpshakehead:

12 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I hate when fans do that. You literally have a piece of MLB history in your hands. Keep it, give it to a kid, or let an opposing fan have it who will appreciate it. So ignorant throwing it back on the field. Plus you get ejected for doing so, and I believe fined. Hope it's worth that to those morons.

!00% agree. Last time I got a ball was in Tampa and I gave it to the closest kid. Every kid dies to get a ball.  As an adult, I could care less except maybe if it was at a World Series.  

26 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

!00% agree. Last time I got a ball was in Tampa and I gave it to the closest kid. Every kid dies to get a ball.  As an adult, I could care less except maybe if it was at a World Series.  

One time I was hit by a foul ball off of Sandy Alomar's bat, so I had to have been around 9 or 10.

Being that young and in shock from a foul ball hitting me (we were sitting down the first base line, so it came in fast), the ball dropped to the floor. Some fat lady next to me took the ball and told my dad she had to take it because she'd be letting her grandkids at home down if she didn't.

Her husband eventually bought me a hat because he felt bad, which I got signed by Miguel Olivo when we went to Grandstand after the game.

13 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Yes and no waive either.

That's gonna make roster moves difficult.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Quin said:

One time I was hit by a foul ball off of Sandy Alomar's bat, so I had to have been around 9 or 10.

Being that young and in shock from a foul ball hitting me (we were sitting down the first base line, so it came in fast), the ball dropped to the floor. Some fat lady next to me took the ball and told my dad she had to take it because she'd be letting her grandkids at home down if she didn't.

Her husband eventually bought me a hat because he felt bad, which I got signed by Miguel Olivo when we went to Grandstand after the game.

That's gonna make roster moves difficult.

I had a similar experience as a kid at Fenway. Back in the 50's Fenway was not that crowded. I was 8 and ran after a ball in an empty aisle and was bending down to get it when a man coming the other direction dived  and smothered it. That is probably why the next time I got a ball 50 years later, I gave it to the closest kid to our seat. 

On 4/9/2019 at 6:34 PM, SweatyFreddy said:

The way the Sox are pitching it will be the fans that have sore arms.