April 10 Gamethread 1:10pm first pitch

I was trying to think of what executive could take over the sox that would be in that buddy buddy old person group that Reinsdorf would like.

Couldn't think of any that would be good. He'd hire like Buck Showalter to be President.

Sox FO should be completely embarrassed to what they have done. This isn't the natural progression of a successful rebuild. This is evidence of a failed organizational plan that will continue until the leadership has changed. 

• Like 2

Just now, shipps said:

Sox FO should be completely embarrassed to what they have done. This isn't the natural progression of a successful rebuild. This is evidence of a failed organizational plan that will continue until the leadership has changed. 

I'm sure we'll hear that the development of these pitchers isn't linear.

Just now, shipps said:

Embarrassed? Do you know how much money they saved in 2026-2030?!?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

This organization is still of the mindset that OBP and the changes in how the game are played are irrelevant.  

I'm not sure even White Sox fans understand the value of OBP considering most thought Palka with his below .300 OBP was good last year. I am actually glad he is struggling bad this year because that means we can cut ties with him sooner. Palka sucking means White Sox fans can give up the delusion belief that he was going to be a valuable member of a competitive team which was never going to happen even if he repeated what he did last season.

Just now, OneDog847 said:

100 losses this year seems certain. 2020 will be another tank year as well. Maybe they can not lose 100 games come 2021? 

Should definitely be looking to trade Rodon then at the deadline.  He'll be throwing 87mph by 2021.

Just now, JuliusO1274 said:

I'm not sure even White Sox fans understand the value of OBP considering most thought Palka with his below .300 OBP was good last year. I am actually glad he is struggling bad this year because that means we can cut ties with him sooner. Palka sucking means White Sox fans can give up the delusion belief that he was going to be a valuable member of a competitive team which was never going to happen even if he repeated what he did last season.

This crap is so overrated.

Sox fans saw a guy that could hit the crap out of the ball and thought it was worth a shot seeing if he could become a DH rather than pay 9.5 million and a prospect for a .733 OPS first baseman and see if he could improve his K rates, because if he improved his k rates, he hits the crap out of the ball and it would likely see a higher average and OBP.

Some people can't handle that and think "oh wow, you don't want him cut? You must think he's amazing!"

• Like 1

Just now, shipps said:

Yeah, the development hasn't existed. Not even Rodon for that matter.  

Nope, they keep getting worse and worse.  There's not a single pitcher that you can look at 2021 and be confident in saying they'll give you 175 innings.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

This crap is so overrated.

Sox fans saw a guy that could hit the crap out of the ball and thought it was worth a shot seeing if he could become a DH rather than pay 9.5 million and a prospect for a .733 OPS first baseman and see if he could improve his K rates, because if he improved his k rates, he hits the crap out of the ball and it would likely see a higher average and OBP.

Some people can't handle that and think "oh wow, you don't want him cut? You must think he's amazing!"

Yep, he was fine as a DH during a rebuild season.  Not a single person besides Palka's twitter buddies in the media wanted him to play in the outfield this season.  I like Palka more than most due to his college affiliation, but he's just such a perfect example of what went wrong.

5 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

What other teams tell their pitching staff to drop velocity, give up on your breaking pitches, and hope for the best.

Pitching for contact nonsense is mainly for the starters. Coop doesn't have issues with hard throwing strikeout relievers, sadly we don't have any of them anyway. I remember a stat in a fangraphs article a year or 2 ago and it showed the top 10 starters with biggest difference in their max velocity and average fastball velocity. Not surprisingly there was Sale, Rodon, and Lopez in the top 10.