White Sox sign Elijah Tatis, brother of "He Who Shall Not Be Named" per Enrique Rojas

Sleepy Harold

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is this for next year’s class?  That article mentioned $500k which obviously wouldn’t be allowed this year for us.

Article says for 2019-2020 signing period.

EDIT: Weirdly, it also says this:

"Elijah is more like his father than his brother as a player, we already signed him and we are scheduled to debut in professionalism with our subsidiary of the Dominican Summer League this year," said a representative from Chicago who preferred to remain anonymous.

I am going to guess that is just a case of something being lost in translation and it actually meaning an agreement instead of an actual signing.

Edited by GenericUserName
  • Thanks 1

So I was being flip, but I actually think lineage is as good a thing as any to go on with kids this young.

You could tell Paddy had a pretty good relationship with the Tatis's from this very good article in the athletic

https://theathletic.com/884960/2019/03/25/everybody-was-surprised-but-here-we-are-an-oral-history-of-how-the-padres-acquired-fernando-tatis-jr/

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

So I was being flip, but I actually think lineage is as good a thing as any to go on with kids this young.

You could tell Paddy had a pretty good relationship with the Tatis's from this very good article in the athletic

https://theathletic.com/884960/2019/03/25/everybody-was-surprised-but-here-we-are-an-oral-history-of-how-the-padres-acquired-fernando-tatis-jr/

You know, I've thought this for a long time. If anything, lineage is the biggest reason I would not have traded Tatis. The genes are in there somewhere. Of all the org filler you could trade, it's not worth the risk.

I don't know where Elijah Tatis would rank on a top 30 international list or anything but $500K is a real bonus. I think Fernando only got $700K. Lenyn Sosa was signed for $350K. He becomes part of their international class on J2 and likely joins Yolbert Sanchez. This leaves them with about $2 million in international space. I really wish one of the scouts wouldn't have mentioned the signing prior to J2 though. That was pretty much on the record to Rojas and that type of detail is frowned upon.