White Sox sign Elijah Tatis, brother of "He Who Shall Not Be Named" per Enrique Rojas

Sleepy Harold

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

So the Sox should avoid signing players because they will remind people of other players? Seems snowflakey to me. 

Never said they shouldn't. Just said that it would be very, very easy to shy away from actions like this when they would almost certainly shine lights in places that certain people would probably rather not have them shine. It's just a normal human reaction. The right thing to do is to "do the right thing". But, I have to give them credit for not allowing the original move that blew up in their faces in spectacular fashion affect their decision making. I actually am sort of impressed.

One of my quotes (of many) since I was very adamant at how foolish it was to trade Tatis (at the time).

They can't just sign a million of them. They have a limited pool and limited resources in these areas and a farm system that has lacked. What I'm saying is you can't write this guy off because he is so young that he's more likely to bust. Initial reports have been very encouraging and he's the type of kid who has the talent to emerge as one of the better prospects in the system with time. This could be an impact player. Yes, I said could, but when you are trading a guy who could be that for a guy who another team had to eat half his contract and is only slightly better (at his current clip) than your other options at the respective position (while actually still costing a decent amount of financial flexibility), I say that you shouldn't give up that type of piece for said player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...