White Sox sign Elijah Tatis, brother of "He Who Shall Not Be Named" per Enrique Rojas

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't know where Elijah Tatis would rank on a top 30 international list or anything but $500K is a real bonus. I think Fernando only got $700K. Lenyn Sosa was signed for $350K. He becomes part of their international class on J2 and likely joins Yolbert Sanchez. This leaves them with about $2 million in international space. I really wish one of the scouts wouldn't have mentioned the signing prior to J2 though. That was pretty much on the record to Rojas and that type of detail is frowned upon. 

Is it though? He is already 17 so he is eligible, we are just agreeing to it for next period. That seems different than agreeing to a deal with someone who isn't even eligible yet.

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

Is it though? He is already 17 so he is eligible, we are just agreeing to it for next period. That seems different than agreeing to a deal with someone who isn't even eligible yet.

It's just like the nfl "tampering" period, mlb knows it happens and won't punish it but you aren't supposed to acknowledge it.

14 minutes ago, skooch said:

You know, I've thought this for a long time. If anything, lineage is the biggest reason I would not have traded Tatis. The genes are in there somewhere. Of all the org filler you could trade, it's not worth the risk.

Going back to the original thread, @soxforlife05 was the wisest of us all.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?/topic/99431-white-sox-acquire-james-shields/&page=17

• Like 1

All part of the friends and family plan the White Sox have installed. 

The Boone     Alomar  Alou br  Brett brothers were all  pretty good for a while, Wimpy's brother has a 1.000 career batting average and reached base all 5 times he batted in the major leagues,   Hopefully this works out. Then RH can lowball Fernando as a free agent and KW can don sunglasses to hide his shock.  that he didn't take the better offer, just the one the team couldn't afford.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Any link to this? 

I just saw a tweet that I lost now but I DMed the guy asking for confirmation. From looking through their instagrams, it looks like I might have misunderstood the translation though because I only see the two. I'll update my post if/when the guy gets back to me.

Edit: looks like there is another brother, though he looks too young to really know if he is good or not.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtKjMFQBoaq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by GenericUserName

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't know where Elijah Tatis would rank on a top 30 international list or anything but $500K is a real bonus. I think Fernando only got $700K. Lenyn Sosa was signed for $350K. He becomes part of their international class on J2 and likely joins Yolbert Sanchez. This leaves them with about $2 million in international space. I really wish one of the scouts wouldn't have mentioned the signing prior to J2 though. That was pretty much on the record to Rojas and that type of detail is frowned upon. 

I still so want this to be wrong, hope that's okay.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

The one I never forget is someone being pissed when we signed Tatis, because it was only because of his father.

Jesse Sanchez is confirming the deal. Also there is this bit of scouting on him:

The youngster is known for his strong and accurate arm, and he has impressed scouts with the way the ball jumps off his bat, as well as his ability to square up fastballs.

https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-and-elijah-tatis-agree-to-deal?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

I think one thing that stands out that I didn't know is that he is eligible now (from mlb.com article)

Sox very well could agree to a deal now and figure out acquiring space from another team. Baltimore has more than they can use, considering they have not signed Sanchez, and several other teams have space.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I think one thing that stands out that I didn't know is that he is eligible now (from mlb.com article)

Sox very well could agree to a deal now and figure out acquiring space from another team. Baltimore has more than they can use, considering they have not signed Sanchez, and several other teams have space.

I didn't know he could sign now.  That is good news.  But if the deal was over 300k, which it is, they couldn't sign him anyway, which is why July 2.

• Like 1

I really have to wonder what motivated this move. This just re-opens the Shields trade wound, and moreover it will be a constant reminder for the duration of Elijah's stay in the Sox organization. Every day any Sox fan looks at the minor league box scores it will be there writ large … a constant reminder of "The Trade". If I were KenHahn, unless I thought this kid is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole. This either took the biggest stones in the world to do the right thing in the face of certain criticism and embarrassment, or it is the troll-job of the decade. Too close to call really ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skooch said:

I really have to wonder what motivated this move. This just re-opens the Shields trade wound, and moreover it will be a constant reminder for the duration of Elijah's stay in the Sox organization. Every day any Sox fan looks at the minor league box scores it will be there writ large … a constant reminder of "The Trade". If I were KenHahn, unless I thought this kid is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole. This either took the biggest stones in the world to do the right thing in the face of certain criticism and embarrassment, or it is the troll-job of the decade. Too close to call really ...

If he's good it'd be stupid to avoid based on them fucking it up the first time around with his brother.  Obviously it will take some time to judge and they'll catch a bunch of crap (and deservedly so), but I wouldn't avoid it based on name alone.  The fam seems to have good MLB bloodlines thus far, worth the risk if you ask me. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't know where Elijah Tatis would rank on a top 30 international list or anything but $500K is a real bonus. I think Fernando only got $700K. Lenyn Sosa was signed for $350K.

I'm with ya. People can joke all they want, but $500K means he has actual talent. I would like to think they wouldn't throw $500K at him if this was just a strictly "he's got lineage" play. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skooch said:

So the Sox should avoid signing players because they will remind people of other players? Seems snowflakey to me. 

• Like 1