Per Forbes: White Sox 6th most profitable team by operating income, valued at 1.6B overall

maxjusttyped

13 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Since the report came out by Forbes a few weeks ago, has anybody noticed that none of the White Sox management team has said nothing about it. The reason why they haven't said anything is because they know that the Forbes report is fairly accurate. JR has said for years many times that a winning team is very expensive. Its easier making money with a losing low payroll team. This rebuild/tanking is going to be done as cheaply as possible. Hopefully these young players will start winning some games.

Why would the Sox feel compelled to address this if not asked?  Private companies typically don’t discuss their financials in any form.

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would the Sox feel compelled to address this if not asked?  Private companies typically don’t discuss their financials in any form.

Private companies typically don't discuss their financials in any form but JR and his management team for years have said the White Sox aren't making any money and can't afford high priced payrolls. Williams has said numerous times that you can't spend a dollar if you only have 50 cents. They have been crying poor for years and there  is simply no truth to that.

Edited by WBWSF
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Private companies typically don't discuss their financials in any form but JR and his management team for years have said the White Sox aren't making any money and can't afford high priced payrolls. Williams has said numerous times that you can't spend a dollar if you only have 50 cents. They have been crying poor for years and there  is simply no truth to that.

I mean, they were rebuilding last year and purposely cut payroll as a result.  I’m not going to defend Reinsdorf when it comes to money, but we didn’t need Forbes to tell us the Sox were highly profitable last year.  That’s what happens when mid/large market teams go through a rebuild.  Also, them making money last year doesn’t have any reflection on what kind of profits they’ve made historically.  You’re drawing some pretty ridiculous conclusions here.

All that being said, the real question is whether the Sox reinvest these savings into the team in future seasons.  Fans should be pissed if the Sox pocket all this money they made during tanking seasons only cry poor in the future.  IMO, there is zero reason the Sox shouldn’t be rocking $150M+ payrolls once we hit our competitive window.  If that doesn’t happen, then these Forbes become far more telling.

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, they were rebuilding last year and purposely cut payroll as a result.  I’m not going to defend Reinsdorf when it comes to money, but we didn’t need Forbes to tell us the Sox were highly profitable last year.  That’s what happens when mid/large market teams go through a rebuild.  Also, them making money last year doesn’t have any reflection on what kind of profits they’ve made historically.  You’re drawing some pretty ridiculous conclusions here.

All that being said, the real question is whether the Sox reinvest these savings into the team in future seasons.  Fans should be pissed if the Sox pocket all this money they made during tanking seasons only cry poor in the future.  IMO, there is zero reason the Sox shouldn’t be rocking $150M+ payrolls once we hit our competitive window.  If that doesn’t happen, then these Forbes become far more telling.

If JR hadn't been making money with the White Sox  franchise in the past he would have sold the team years ago.

40 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

If JR hadn't been making money with the White Sox  franchise in the past he would have sold the team years ago.

Bingo. Reinsdorf and company have been making $ every year otherwise he wouldn't be in the game. 

At this point, the only thing Reinsdorf seems concerned about is setting up his family for future generations. His great great Grandchildren will never have to work a day in their life. 

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Bingo. Reinsdorf and company have been making $ every year otherwise he wouldn't be in the game. 

At this point, the only thing Reinsdorf seems concerned about is setting up his family for future generations. His great great Grandchildren will never have to work a day in their life. 

Making money <> top five most profitable team.  Let’s all try to be objective in our hate for Uncle Jerry.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Making money <> top five most profitable team.  Let’s all try to be objective in our hate for Uncle Jerry.

Uncle Jerry's true colors were on full display this offseason. I fully believe he entered the Machado negotations only to sabotage them. The dog and pony show with Harper is evidence as well. The Sox interest in Harper sure dried up fast. 

The Sox are not Tampa Bay. Trying to do this rebuild with only internal players isn't going to work. The old man is going to have to open the wallet and finally hand out a few 100 million dollar plus contracts or this rebuild is doomed. 

16 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Uncle Jerry's true colors were on full display this offseason. I fully believe he entered the Machado negotations only to sabotage them. The dog and pony show with Harper is evidence as well. The Sox interest in Harper sure dried up fast. 

The Sox are not Tampa Bay. Trying to do this rebuild with only internal players isn't going to work. The old man is going to have to open the wallet and finally hand out a few 100 million dollar plus contracts or this rebuild is doomed. 

I 100% agree, I’m just saying this one time blip in profitability doesn’t mean Jerry is hoarding in the cash.  I do think they more or less try to break-even, but that Jerry refuses to go into the red, never invests up-front for long-term gains down the roads, and probably doesn’t reinvest any surpluses back into the team.  Jerry is cheap in a lot of ways, but he’s not caking as much as certain haters would like to believe.

22 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

There was 1000% collusion between the Sox and Phillies

Edited by mqr

3 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Who the bleep is worth that kind of money any time soon?

56 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Gerrit Cole and Anthony Rendon. 

The White Sox sorta don't have a 3b need right now.

Cole could be interesting, but you are gonna have to beat the Yankees...and I think Cole is a terrible fit for our pitching coach. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox sorta don't have a 3b need right now.

Cole could be interesting, but you are gonna have to beat the Yankees...and I think Cole is a terrible fit for our pitching coach. 

I'm not convinced Madrigal is gonna make it. Put Rendon at third and Moncada back at second. 

Cole doesn't need a pitching coach. 

Just now, OneDog847 said:

I'm not convinced Madrigal is gonna make it. Put Rendon at third and Moncada back at second. 

The bolded really doesn't fit his history at all. He struggled way more with Pittsburgh and a "Classical" pitching coach than he did last year working with the Astros and advanced statistics. If he's good enough this year that we'd actually want him, then that would mean that pattern held and the Astros metrics-based coaching techniques will have worked far better with him than anything else he tried.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The bolded really doesn't fit his history at all. He struggled way more with Pittsburgh and a "Classical" pitching coach than he did last year working with the Astros and advanced statistics. If he's good enough this year that we'd actually want him, then that would mean that pattern held and the Astros metrics-based coaching techniques will have worked far better with him than anything else he tried.

Pitt is actually very analytics oriented they just are obsessed with two seamers which has been a bad fit for several pitchers. The Tampa approach has worked better for more pitchers while Houston seems like a good match of scouting and player analytics to get players they want who throw what they like.

I just don't understand how the Sox make so much money. Horrible attendance figures. Bad merchandise sales compared to their competitors. All I hear is how bad the Sox TV deal is.

How is baseball so profitable? Just cause of MLB?? I mean try to start a new sports league. They all fail and lose gazillions like the new football league that didn't even last a season. So it's not all sports that turn to golden goose. Again ... how are the Sox worth a billion when by normal standards they are a huge failure (historically low attendance; second class media TV contracts compared to Cubs, bad merchandise sales compared to Cubs)?

Edited by greg775

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I just don't understand how the Sox make so much money. Horrible attendance figures. Bad merchandise sales compared to their competitors. All I hear is how bad the Sox TV deal is.

How is baseball so profitable? Just cause of MLB?? I mean try to start a new sports league. They all fail and lose gazillions like the new football league that didn't even last a season. So it's not all sports that turn to golden goose. Again ... how are the Sox worth a billion when by normal standards they are a huge failure (historically low attendance; second class media TV contracts compared to Cubs, bad merchandise sales compared to Cubs)?

Of course you have zero idea how merchandise sales work.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Of course you have zero idea how merchandise sales work.

All I hear from Fathom and others on here is even at Christmasgift time you couldnt' find any Sox merchandise in stores, even at one big one on the South side. How come the mods are so mean on this board generally speaking?

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

All I hear from Fathom and others on here is even at Christmasgift time you couldnt' find any Sox merchandise in stores, even at one big one on the South side. How come the mods are so mean on this board generally speaking?

Fathom is talking about cultural relevance, merchandise sales are distributed evenly across the league, it makes zero difference how many Abreu jerseys are sold, the Sox get the same cut as any other team. (2) You have a very strong victim complex and do zero research, it's not just the mods, it's everyone, the mods have just been around longer and post more in general.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

If you think our Sox front office is going to do this over what is already perfectly set up to happen, let me wake you up from your fantasy right now.