2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

• 1 month later...

As of today, the Sox aren't even in the top 10, correct? 

What are the rules with draft compensation? I haven't been paying attention because the Sox have been drafting in the top 10 for the better part of this decade. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That would mean there is a strong possibility they don't have a 1st rounder next year. 

Well, no, that would be a 2nd rounder.

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What are the rules with draft compensation? I haven't been paying attention because the Sox have been drafting in the top 10 for the better part of this decade. 

Sitting at 11 right now. I expect to be in the 7 to 10 range when all is said and done.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Sitting at 11 right now. I expect to be in the 7 to 10 range when all is said and done.

I think that is a safe assumption. I was wondering if they were at 13 or 14 or something like that. There are a lot of bad teams out there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they sign someone they move to the back end of the 1st round though, correct? 

No, teams no longer lose or adjust first round picks after the last CBA. The White Sox would lose their 2nd highest draft pick in the draft and $500k in international money if they signed a free agent who received a qualifying offer. That would most likely be their 2nd round pick - except in the unlikely scenario that they offer Jose Abreu a qualifying offer, Abreu turns it down, then signs a $50 million deal somewhere else. 

Shorter version: Sign 1 major person lose 2nd round pick. Sign 2 major people lose 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Well, no, that would be a 2nd rounder.

In the new CBA I really hope they do away with Free Agent signings resulting in loss of second round draft picks, as well as getting rid of competitive balance picks.

It's insane to me that certain clubs have an annual built in draft advantage over other clubs. 

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

In the new CBA I really hope they do away with Free Agent signings resulting in loss of second round draft picks, as well as getting rid of competitive balance picks.

It's insane to me that certain clubs have an annual built in draft advantage over other clubs. 

Also it's clearly not helping teams keep their talent, it's only benefit would be player salary suppression.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Right now, the top 10 would be:

1/2. O's/Royals (tied at .311)
3. Jays .377
4. Marlins .390
5. Tigers .397
6. Mariners .400
7. Giants .417
8. Nats .459
9. Reds .467
10/11. Sox/Mets (tied at .475)

Sox are the 6th worst team in the AL.

Edited by soxfan49

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

Completely agree on both counts.  I get that teams want compensation for losing free agents, but the system is a huge problem.  Maybe they can still give teams picks without the signing team forfeiting the pick?  Maybe lose a lower pick?   Maybe just a lower slot value to some picks, like instead of taking a 2nd round pick, the slot for their pick is reduced 15% or something.  I don't know I'm just making stuff up, but the current system is clearly a problem.

The competitive balance picks are a travesty.  

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Completely agree on both counts.  I get that teams want compensation for losing free agents, but the system is a huge problem.  Maybe they can still give teams picks without the signing team forfeiting the pick?  Maybe lose a lower pick?   Maybe just a lower slot value to some picks, like instead of taking a 2nd round pick, the slot for their pick is reduced 15% or something.  I don't know I'm just making stuff up, but the current system is clearly a problem.

The competitive balance picks are a travesty.  

Comp balance needs to go. Why should some clubs be given an annual built in advantage? I get that the big boys dominate the spending, but no other league does that.

Teams could still receive comp picks for losing big free agents, but I don't think teams should lose valuable draft picks. I'm sure a balance could be had.

Edited by steveno89

5 hours ago, bmags said:

Also it's clearly not helping teams keep their talent, it's only benefit would be player salary suppression.

It also means some mid tier free agents don't get contracts because of the draft pick. Kimbrel likely would have signed a month ago without the draft pick.