2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

12 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Maybe if they used the draft as a way to incentivize winning with comp picks or something

Competitive Balance Round picks are given out as rewards for performances in the minor league playoffs.

It's a stupid idea, as teams will sit prospects so they can play AAAA guys and washed up MLB guys over a struggling, but promising prospect to get the #35 pick. But the current system is also dumb.

17 minutes ago, Quin said:

Competitive Balance Round picks are given out as rewards for performances in the minor league playoffs.

It's a stupid idea, as teams will sit prospects so they can play AAAA guys and washed up MLB guys over a struggling, but promising prospect to get the #35 pick. But the current system is also dumb.

They're dumb because we think the Sox should be considered for one, because the Cubs own the lion's share of Chicago baseball fans, and MLB doesn't want to acknowledge that. Part of it has to do with the Cubs being a national brand. If they're going to do competitive balance picks, it should be for competitive balance and teams with a 5 year average under 75 wins should get one, the market size shouldn't matter, winning should. Also, teams that have missed the playoffs for a decade straight should get one until their next playoff appearance. The whole point should be to help longtime losers like the Sox, Padres and Mariners rather than small markets who have found ways to win due to being better at analytical scouting than everyone else like the Cardinals and Rays.  

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're dumb because we think the Sox should be considered for one, because the Cubs own the lion's share of Chicago baseball fans, and MLB doesn't want to acknowledge that. Part of it has to do with the Cubs being a national brand. If they're going to do competitive balance picks, it should be for competitive balance and teams with a 5 year average under 75 wins should get one, the market size shouldn't matter, winning should. Also, teams that have missed the playoffs for a decade straight should get one until their next playoff appearance. The whole point should be to help longtime losers like the Sox, Padres and Mariners rather than small markets who have found ways to win due to being better at analytical scouting than everyone else like the Cardinals and Rays.  

I think it's dumb regardless of its effect on the white sox. If you are bad you get earlier dibs on the prospects, should get larger pools for international. Maybe increase the amount for bottom 10 teams int he draft that they can spend on players in rounds 11-40 without counting against their cap, from 125k to 200k.

But this is way too large of an advantage, again, we can see the incredible value still assigned to 2nd round picks in free agency. To just hand them out for free, along with revenue sharing and all the other benefits, is too much.

• Thanks 1

I’d love the Sox to go prep SS or arm with their first rounder next year. Obviously BPA but I wouldn’t mind a repeat of this year’s draft to try and supplement a second wave of rebuild talent.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Why/how was he so calm? Wild

Anyways, isn't he 2021 Draft eligible earliest?

Yup. I still wish they had taken him with the Walker pick, but I don't know how difficult he would have been to sign 

21 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yup. I still wish they had taken him with the Walker pick, but I don't know how difficult he would have been to sign 

Pretty impossible it sounds like without top ten money

1 hour ago, Quin said:

FWIW, On the broadcast last night they kept pounding it home on how his mom really wanted him to go to school and he had no plans to do anything otherwise.