2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, flavum said:

Based on 81-game records, Sox have the 10th pick.

With the injuries and black holes in the rotation, I’d say they’re not falling out the top ten. Fangraphs is projecting to finish with the eighth overall pick as of tonight. 

11 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Another top ten pick would be very nice. Best player available should be the Sox strategy next year but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they take the best college arm available. 

It looks like there is going to be a good amount of top tier pitching, so things might line up perfectly for us.

Just now, GenericUserName said:

It looks like there is going to be a good amount of top tier pitching, so things might line up perfectly for us.

Yep. Still very early but the 2020 draft class is looking pretty deep. The Sox should go pitching heavy next year. 

They finally announced the players for the UA All American game.  A couple Chicago area guys will be there.  SS Ed Howard (Mt Carmel) and RHP Ben Hernandez (De LaSalle).  I'm surprised Wisconsin guy  AJ Vukovich wasn't invited but other than that it's a great looking roster.

https://www.baseballfactory.com/ua-baseball/all-america-game/

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Go Sox go! Tank tank tank.

7th seems like the most likely pick next year unless the Giants really sell off. I want the important players to play well, but if they trade Colome (and maybe Bummer), this will take care of itself. 

46 minutes ago, flavum said:

7th seems like the most likely pick next year unless the Giants really sell off. I want the important players to play well, but if they trade Colome (and maybe Bummer), this will take care of itself. 

I think they can still plummet into the top 5. They play a 3 game series against the Mets and Marlins very soon. Time to tank away against those guys! 

The UA Game was very disappointing but these events usually are as the pitchers have such an unfair advantage.  There were a few position players who were able to stand out despite the rash of strike outs (34 by my count).

OF  Zac Veen is long and loose with a smooth LH stroke and plus power potential.  SS Warner Blakely oozes athleticism from his projectable 6'3" 185 frame. He has a chance for above avg raw.  C Drew Romo is a switch hitter with excellent bat to ball skills and very good actions behind the plate.  The power may not get to avg but the bat will still play.  We already knew about PCA (0-2 2 punchies and a BB) and Dylan Crews (0-4 4 punchies) who both looked awful.  

A couple pitchers really stood out.  LHP Nate Savino was 92-94 with a plus 75-76 curveball and excellent feel to pitch.  RHP Victor Medieros was 92-94  SL 82-83 cb 78-80 ch 85. He threw all 4 pitches for strikes which was good to see because he was terrible at this event last year.  Jared Jones 94-96 and Jared Kelly 94-97  were electric but we already knew that.  

• Like 2