2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

I think 8th place should be almost fixed now. The top4 are clearly too bad and the reds, padres and rockies are clearly more talented than the Sox while the jays just play in an extremely tough division.

Maybe they could catch the Mariners or pirates but I don't think so.

23 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I think 8th place should be almost fixed now. The top4 are clearly too bad and the reds, padres and rockies are clearly more talented than the Sox while the jays just play in an extremely tough division.

Maybe they could catch the Mariners or pirates but I don't think so.

8th should be good. Who have we drafted 8th on our history recently, probably someone really good.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

8th should be good. Who have we drafted 8th on our history recently, probably someone really good.

Well you would hope to draft a better player than fulmer 8th. Statistically a 5th to 8th pick should become about an annual 2 WAR player in their prime with maybe a 3 win season or two mixed in too.

Crews did have a brutal summer but he's still my guy.  He's the best hitter in the class and has history of hitting at big events.  He has time this fall to get his head out of his ass and swing the bat like he can.  He has to stop trying to hit home runs and concentrate on hitting missiles all over the yard.  He does that and he's the guy going into the spring.  

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Crews did have a brutal summer but he's still my guy.  He's the best hitter in the class and has history of hitting at big events.  He has time this fall to get his head out of his ass and swing the bat like he can.  He has to stop trying to hit home runs and concentrate on hitting missiles all over the yard.  He does that and he's the guy going into the spring.  

I've never seen any video on him....does he have a nice swing?  What do you see in him?   Maybe he'd be there in the 2nd round?

He has a great swing and incredible bat to ball skills when he doesn't get long.  He consistently crushes balls when he stays short and quick to the ball but for some reason he tried to to separate and lift everything this summer and struck out at an alarming rate.  It happens.  He probably got bad advice from his agent (you need to show more power!).  If he gets back to the guy he was he'll be a top 10 pick.

11 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He has a great swing and incredible bat to ball skills when he doesn't get long.  He consistently crushes balls when he stays short and quick to the ball but for some reason he tried to to separate and lift everything this summer and struck out at an alarming rate.  It happens.  He probably got bad advice from his agent (you need to show more power!).  If he gets back to the guy he was he'll be a top 10 pick.

He has an agent? Before his high school career is over? Nah.

55 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He has an agent? Before his high school career is over? Nah.

They do, but they can't sign contracts for services until they decide to go pro. They take the role of "adviser" to skirt the NCAA rules on the subject. I'm sure the guys who go to college know who they want to be their agent, and they sign advisory contracts that pay a little extra of their signing bonus to the agents once they get signed. 

That rule changed.  A high school player is able to have an agent.  If they don't sign a professional contract and go to a 4 year school they have to "fire" the agent then magically "rehire" them when they are again draft eligible.  It's still really stupid but it's better than the previous farce that an 18 year old kid wasn't allowed to have an agent help them negotiate against professional negotiators.

16 hours ago, wegner said:

I've never seen any video on him....does he have a nice swing?  What do you see in him?   Maybe he'd be there in the 2nd round?

There is an embedded video of him taking batting practice a page or so back.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That rule changed.  A high school player is able to have an agent.  If they don't sign a professional contract and go to a 4 year school they have to "fire" the agent then magically "rehire" them when they are again draft eligible.  It's still really stupid but it's better than the previous farce that an 18 year old kid wasn't allowed to have an agent help them negotiate against professional negotiators.

Yes, the rule changed stating they can now use an agent to negotiate for them - they cannot have an agent before their senior year of high school starts. Implying otherwise is incorrect.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They do, but they can't sign contracts for services until they decide to go pro. They take the role of "adviser" to skirt the NCAA rules on the subject. I'm sure the guys who go to college know who they want to be their agent, and they sign advisory contracts that pay a little extra of their signing bonus to the agents once they get signed. 

So they don't have an agent, as I said. 

Misinformation flys online. You cannot have an agent before you are drafted, period. People approach you and give you advice from all avenues - some may do so in hope of earning your trust for future relationships but they are not your agent by any means.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Misinformation flys online. You cannot have an agent before you are drafted, period. People approach you and give you advice from all avenues - some may do so in hope of earning your trust for future relationships but they are not your agent by any means.

It's more murky than that. It's kinda like they technically do and they technically don't. 

12 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm a bit concerned about this. A Bat with elite contact skill shouldn't swing and miss even if the swing gets long. A long swing will get exposed in the pros and sometimes (but not always) in top college division. In HS however even long swings with elite bat to ball skill should make plenty of contact. AJ reed has a long swing and he killed it in college and low minors then got exposed in high minors. 

Has great hit tool IF... sounds like a contradiction to me, truly elite hit tool kids even hit with bad swings in IS because they have a feel to square up the barrel. In the pros that gets exposed and needs to change of course.

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They have an "advisor" who essentially is an agent but can't be named that way.

8 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I'm a bit concerned about this. A Bat with elite contact skill shouldn't swing and miss even if the swing gets long. A long swing will get exposed in the pros and sometimes (but not always) in top college division. In HS however even long swings with elite bat to ball skill should make plenty of contact. AJ reed has a long swing and he killed it in college and low minors then got exposed in high minors. 

Has great hit tool IF... sounds like a contradiction to me, truly elite hit tool kids even hit with bad swings in IS because they have a feel to square up the barrel. In the pros that gets exposed and needs to change of course.

I get it but unfortunately this is happening quite a bit now.  Guys are getting bad advise and changing their swing to show more launch angle. There was a reason why he was the top guy going into the summer.  He just has to get back to being that guy.  If he doesn't then I agree I'm out but I'm willing to give him more time because he was so good.  

1 hour ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

They have an "advisor" who essentially is an agent but can't be named that way.

We'll agree to disagree. You owe that person nothing and have no contractual obligation to them. Advisors pop up everywhere when you're a prospect. If the kid has a good support system, his advisors are his family and coaches and etc. This isn't AAU basketball with pariahs everywhere taking advantage of kids. It is just not how baseball has worked. 

Maybe things have dramatically changed since 2005 and I'm out of the loop - I don't believe that to be the case though. 

Edit: in Latin countries, this is a massive problem. Kids sign on young, and illegally, to agents who circumvent the rules to acquire the services of their client before they are technically eligible. In the states, they monitor this pretty closely and you can lose your license for doing the exact thing people are claiming happens with frequency in this thread. Big agents, who most top prospects end up signing on with, do not advise in any formal matter before a contract is signed. They arent risking their licenses for unknown high school juniors.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Yes, hit tools are just bat to ball skills. See Tim Anderson as someone who had/has bad mechanics frequently and his lower body still gets out of sync with his hands and upper body but his hands are so good and his bat to ball skills are so good that he can crush a ball/square it up while being off balance and out of place. 

That said, if you change your swing plane you can develop a hole in your swing that may not have existed before but at the high school level you should still be able to find the baseball and put it in play. I'd pass on any kids with questionable contact skills at the high school level until they can disprove that notion at the college level.

• 2 weeks later...