2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

Ha. I do like my high ceiling position guys but there are a lot of college arms to like too.

RHP Emerson Hancock (Georgia) has the best combination of body, athleticism and stuff. There's some effort to the delivery and he was ouchy last spring but he looks to have the highest ceiling among the college arms.

RHP JT Ginn (Miss St) is a draft eligible sophomore who was a 1st round pick by the Dodgers but decided to go to school so if you think they know something about drafting players (they do) he would be a nice target.

RHP Cole Wilcox (Georgia) is a big bastard and another draft eligible sophomore with a heavy fastball plus secondaries and plus command. He's probably the best combination of floor and ceiling among the college arms. He won't turn 21 until a month after the draft.

LHP Asa Lacy (Texas A&M) is a pitchabilty lefty who gets it done more with deception than big stuff and those guys scare me this high in the draft.

LHP Reid Detmers (Louisville) is another guy who doesn't show a big fastball but his plus plus curveball is a separator and the change and command are improving. Again top 10 may be too high.

RHP Tommy Mace (Florida) is the guy I'm most interested in seeing this spring. He's tall (6'6”) and wiry and nasty as shit but his command comes and goes. If he's able to make a couple adjustments he could easily jump into the top 10.  He reminds me a little of Jack McDowell. 

RHP Tanner Burns (Auburn) has really good shit but is an undersized righty with a max effort delivery. Reminds me too much of Carson Fulmer. I'm out.

A few other guys I'll be watching closely are LHP Jake Eder (Vandy), Joe Boyle and his 100+ fastball (Notre Dame) and LHP Luke Little (San Jac)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

That rainout screwed the Sox. I fully believe if that goes 5, Tigers probably would've won and we'd be picking 10th. But hey... we can thank Ricky for playing guys like Castillo so much down the stretch that he had enough big hits to effect games.

1st round picks are off limits for compensation now. The White Sox pick 11th and won't have as large of a bonus pool. That's the only "issue" though. The 11th pick should carry a bonus pool of around $4.6 million. The White Sox total should be in the $8.5 million range for their entire class. They spent over $12 million on last year's draft. The 2nd round selection should be in the 54-56 range and carries a slot of like $1.2-$1.4 million. If they sign a QO free agent, they'll forfeit that selection and the bonus pool amount that comes with it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Question.

I know we will lose our 2nd round pick if we sign Wheeler or any of these other guys that get a QO.  But do we lose pool money as well?

Thanks I'll hang up.

The post right before yours, last sentence, answers that as affirmative.

Unfortunately sox had some luck this year, 72 wins but run differential pointed to a nice 69 wins which would have been 6th-7th pick. 

Not saying winning is bad but I'd rather have run differential luck in a year winning mid 80s plus games so it makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I’m watching for the 11th pick:

Cole Wilcox (6’5/220) - RH SP - Georgia 

Ed Howard - (6’2-185) - SS - Mt. Carmel

JT Ginn (6’2/200) - RH SP - Mississippi St  

Patrick Bailey (6’2/192) - C - NC State 

Robert Hassell (6’2-185) - CF - Prep