2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

On 12/16/2019 at 3:31 AM, Joshua Strong said:

The Sox really need to string some good drafts together. The 2015, 2016 and 2017 drafts haven’t yielded much fruit for the Sox and it’s big reason why they still don’t have much depth, valuable assets they’re willing to part with or assets that other teams find interesting 

Last year's draft is encouraging on paper at least. 

• Like 1

I think they are in a good position to draft a HS pitcher but I would only take a hs pitcher at a discount due to the risk. If the hs pitcher is the 10th best talent I don't take him but if he is considered like the 4th best talent but fell due to risk management of other teams they could take him there. 

20 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Damn that's really good but I would still be very surprised if they went for a HS pitcher.  Best case scenario is he goes in the top 10 and a college arm or HS bat is available at 11.  

Yea. I don't expect a HS pitcher, just excited about how much talent there seems to be (particularly pitching) in this crop.

We have our first combined top 100 draft prospect list from BA. It's paywalled, but I'll post the top 20.

1.) Spencer Torkelson - Arizona State 1B

2.) Emerson Hancock - Georgia RHP

3.) Austin Martin - Vanderbilt SS

4.) Asa Lacy - Texas A&M LHP

5.) Nick Gonzales - New Mexico State 2B

6.) Jared Kelley - Refugio (Texas) HS RHP

7.) Austin Hendrick - West Allegheny HS, Imperial, Pa.OF

8.) Garret Mitchell - UCLA OF

9.) Mick Abel - Jesuit HS, Portland RHP

10.) Carmen Mlodzinski - South Carolina RHP

11.) Reid Detmers - Lousiville LHP

12.) JT Ginn - Mississippi State RHP

13.) Casey Martin - Arkansas SS

14.) Ed Howard - Mount Carmel (Ill.) HSSS

15.) Nick Bitsko - Central Bucks East HS, Doylestown, Pa. RHP

16.) Garret Crochet - Tennessee LHP

17.) Patrick Bailey - North Carolina St. C

18.) Robert Hassell - Independence HS, Thompson's Station, Tenn. OF

19.) Tanner Burns - Auburn RHP

20.) Austin Wells - Arizona C

Edited by DirtySox

Also a blurb on the class in general.

The 2020 class is nothing like the 2019 class, which was historically weak in terms of pitching talent. The college pitching in particular is one of the strengths of the 2020 class, and where the 2019 class lacked arms that could easily project as top-of-the-rotation types, the 2020 class has many such candidates.

Additionally, the 2020 class is bolstered by a number of draft-eligible sophomore pitching prospects from the talented 2018 high school pitching class. RHP JT Ginn is at the top of that list and has a chance to get drafted in the first round twice—the Dodgers selected him with the No. 30 pick in 2018, but Ginn elected to go to Mississippi State—while RHP Cole Wilcox forms arguably the best 1-2 pitching punch in college baseball at Georgia along with Hancock. Further down the list is Miami RHP Slade Cecconi, who was just as touted in high school and has the stuff to shoot up into the first round with a strong season.

The high school pitching crop is solid, though not as deep as the college class. RHPs Jared Kelley and Mick Abel lead the class and are two of just three prep prospects among the top 10, while recently reclassified RHP Nick Bitsko—who was previously the No. 1 prospect in the 2021 high school class—jumps into first round range as well.

Like a year ago, the quality of the prep lefthanders of the class has been depleted, thanks to injuries and early enrollments. LHP Daxton Fulton would be solidly in the first round range if healthy, but underwent Tommy John surgery and saw his stock fall a bit because of that, while LHP Nate Savino enrolled early at Virginia. Were Savino eligible in 2020, he would have been the highest-ranked prep lefty somewhere in the 10-20 range.

Edited by DirtySox

BA Mock Draft out. Though it will have to be changed with the Astros losing a 1st round pick because they are scum.

1.) DET - Austin Martin

2.) BAL - Emerson Hancock

3.) MIA - Spencer Torkelson

4.) KC - Nick Gonzales

5.) TOR - Asa Lacy

6.) SEA - Garrett Mitchell

7.) PIT - Austin Hendrick

8.) SD - Jared Kelley

9.) COL - Carmen Mlodzinski

10.) ANA - Ed Howard

11.) CHW - Garret Crochet

It’s a good year for college lefties. There are some comparisons to make here with Crochet and Duke lefthander Graeme Stinson from last year’s class in that they are both big (in different ways) southpaws with some of the best pure stuff in the class with limited track records of starting. Crochet has started six times in each of his two years with Tennessee (compared to 23 relief appearances) so a strong spring as a starter is crucial for him this year. If he succeeds he could easily jump into the top 10.

Edited by DirtySox

As I posted earlier in this thread, I'm really intrigued by Crochet. I'm also really into Howard after reading more on him. On Howard:

It’s a weak middle infield class for prep players. There are no shortstops of the caliber of Bobby Witt Jr. or CJ Abrams, but Howard is the cream of the crop and is a standout defender with an uber projectable frame and athleticism most teams love. He’s not the most polished bat, but is mechanically sound and has shown enough flashes for teams to dream on his offensive ability in the future. This could be the first year without multiple high school shortstops selected in the first round since 2006, when none were taken.

47 minutes ago, Quin said:

@bmags let's get aboard the Crochet train

I don’t hop on college pitchers trains until it’s clear they are good their last year because it’s too depressing to get @fathom updates when they start sucking.

Preps are easier since we hear nothing about them once season starts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

BA our with a top 50. Not a mock draft but here it had Detmers at 11:

1. Reid Detmers, LHP, Louisville
Areas To Improve: Changeup improvement

Detmers is one of the most polished arms in the class, with solid stuff and good control of his entire repertoire, but at the next level it will be even more important for Detmers to have a solid offering to attack righthanded hitters. His breaking ball is perhaps the best in the ACC, but as he faces more advanced hitters who are better equipped to handle that break, going to a solid third pitch to keep batters off-balance could be the difference-maker.