2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Not that it matters but are you sure about that?

I was wrong about HRs. He wasn't the leader. He had 7 and leader had 9.

The guy has hit everywhere and has some pop. I know New Mexico State doesn't face great competition but he lead college baseball in average, 2nd behind Rutschman in OPS, 5th in OBP & 3rd in SLG.  

http://pointstreak.com/baseball/leaders.html?leagueid=166&seasonid=31871

On 1/13/2020 at 1:19 PM, DirtySox said:

As I posted earlier in this thread, I'm really intrigued by Crochet. I'm also really into Howard after reading more on him. On Howard:

It’s a weak middle infield class for prep players. There are no shortstops of the caliber of Bobby Witt Jr. or CJ Abrams, but Howard is the cream of the crop and is a standout defender with an uber projectable frame and athleticism most teams love. He’s not the most polished bat, but is mechanically sound and has shown enough flashes for teams to dream on his offensive ability in the future. This could be the first year without multiple high school shortstops selected in the first round since 2006, when none were taken.

They're gonna want to rewrite that report on Howard.  This is not gonna age well.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I agree. They need top end pitching and it's nice when a draft is deep in a need.  They won't have to reach to fill a position of need.  

Sox should really be open to selecting best prospect available regardless of position. An advanced college arm likely appeals because he could get to the majors quickly, but the organization may want to resist the urge to select quick impact over a better long term prospect.

The best organizations scout and draft well year in and year out. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

College baseball starts tomorrow.  There are a dozen pitchers I expect to come out and announce their presence with authority.  This is going to be a really fun spring.  

Who should we keep an eye out for? I only know a handful of names

These are the guys I'll be keeping an eye on.  That's a big pile of college pitching man goo.  

Georgia- Emerson Hancock and Cole Wilcox 

Mississippi St- JT Ginn

Texas A&M- Asa Lacy

Florida- Tommy Mace

Oklahoma- Cade Cavalli

Florida St- CJ Van Eck

Louisville- Reid Detmers

Miami- Chris McMahon and Slade Cecconi 

Tennessee- Garrett Crotchet

Vandy- Jake Eder

South Carolina- Carmen Mlodzinski

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think the Sox are going high school in round 1 and more prep focused overall.

Completely agree. Said the same thing months ago and Hostetler kinda hinted at that before too. Lower levels definitely need more influx of younger talent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think the Sox are going high school in round 1 and more prep focused overall. Hopefully these college guys push preps down the board. 

Ed Howard and Tyler Soderstrom.

If the Sox draft Soderstrom, I hope they would move him from behind the plate because the bat looks great. 

On 1/16/2020 at 8:10 AM, bmags said:

BA our with a top 50. Not a mock draft but here it had Detmers at 11:

1. Reid Detmers, LHP, Louisville
Areas To Improve: Changeup improvement

Detmers is one of the most polished arms in the class, with solid stuff and good control of his entire repertoire, but at the next level it will be even more important for Detmers to have a solid offering to attack righthanded hitters. His breaking ball is perhaps the best in the ACC, but as he faces more advanced hitters who are better equipped to handle that break, going to a solid third pitch to keep batters off-balance could be the difference-maker.

Sounds almost like Carson Fulmer