2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

Regarding nick Gonzalez he has performed extremely well but longenhagen said he played in a very weak conference and did look not so good against some of the better pitchers looking overwhelmed by high 80s fastballs. 

Wonder if that could mean he could fall. He definitely has the tools but maybe the hit tool isn't that advanced.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:52 PM, caulfield12 said:

This is yet another reason why the best in-house analytics team and having as well as an extensive amateur scouting department is critical...when you're going to miss 2-3 months of high school/collegiate action.  No last looks or CWS.

I posted this in under wrong category but does anyone know if/how will the MLB draft will be conducted if the rest of the college and possibly H.S. seasons are shut down? Do we just roll with the data we have?

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Regarding nick Gonzalez he has performed extremely well but longenhagen said he played in a very weak conference and did look not so good against some of the better pitchers looking overwhelmed by high 80s fastballs. 

Wonder if that could mean he could fall. He definitely has the tools but maybe the hit tool isn't that advanced.

He's a tough one to figure out.  His numbers are greatly inflated from playing in a bad conference and the crazy home field elevation. He performed on the Cape and he does have bat speed so maybe he just needs to see consistent velocity to make the neccessary adjustments.  How much a team is willing to gamble on that is the question. 

I heard there will likely be some area showcase/tournaments for draft eligible players before the draft and if that happens he will see much better pitching than he would have in the WAC.  We'll have to see if that helps or hurts him.  Things are just really fucked up right now.

I think this mostly means draft rankings are mostly set now by preseason rankings and a little bit by the small sample this year. 

The stats from this season mean very little but some information like health and velo gains or losses or power gains by hitters (trackman) are still out there.

Teams can't really use era or ops data from this year but things like velo and max EV are telling even in a small sample.

• Like 1

Law posted his draft top 30. Will post the top 10. Meyer at 6 is quite the jump. Cavalli is a new one too.

1.) Spencer Torkelson

2.) Austin Martin

3.) Asa Lacy

4.) Nick Gonzales

5.) Emerson Hancock

6.) Max Meyer

7.) Zac Veen

8.) Reid Detmers

9.) Cade Cavalli

10.) Patrick Bailey

11.) Austin Hendrick

Edited by DirtySox

4 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Law posted his draft top 30. Will post the top 10. Meyer at 6 is quite the jump. Cavalli is a new one too.

Looks as though he removed the 2 HS fireballers seen on other published lists, either of whom I'd love to see us select.

17 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ok.  Kelley is on there but Abel is not?  I think Abel is the most polished of the bunch.  Maybe he dropped him because he's ouchy.  

I think he just missed him. Abel is 17 Kelley is 18.

• 2 weeks later...