2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

BA updated it's top 300 yesterday. Here's the top 20. Will indicate the previous ranking in parenthesis. If there are any questions on players not in the top 20, lemme know.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2020-mlb-draft-top-prospects/

We’re expanding our draft list to the top 300 players in the country today, and updating the entire list after feedback from many, many scouts around the country. While we haven’t had college baseball for the last two weekends, this list does attempt to reflect the movement that occurred prior to COVID-19 canceling the season.

MLB scouting departments are in a unique situation at the moment, as many scouts didn’t have the time to work down pref lists and see the players they needed to this spring while plenty of northern states didn’t even get started on the high school side. As long as the draft actually takes place in some capacity this year, teams will be left to make picks based on shortened 2020 seasons and their history with players as underclassmen and over the summer.

Fortunately, Baseball America is in a similar situation to these clubs. We have a detailed understanding of the 2020 class at this point in the season after bearing down on 2020 prospects starting just a week after the 2019 draft a year ago. Our draft rankings are also based entirely on conversations with area scouts, crosscheckers, supervisors and scouting directors. As always, our prospect rankings attempt to gauge the industry consensus on these players.

1.) Austin Martin (3)

2.) Spencer Torkelson (1)

3.) Asa Lacy (4)

4.) Emerson Hancock (4)

5.) Nick Gonzales (5)

6.) Garret Mitchell (8)

7.) Reid Detmers (11)

8.) Zac Veen (16)

9.) Austin Hendrick (7)

10.) Max Meyer (30)

11.) Jared Kelly (6)

12.) Mick Abel (9)

13.) Garret Crochet (15)

14.) Patrick Bailey (17)

15.) Heston Kjerstad (25)

16.) Robert Hassell (18)

17.) Pete Crow Armstrong (24)

18.) Tanner Burns (19)

19.) Nick Bitsko (21)

20.) Austin Wells (20)

Edited by DirtySox

The biggest fear I have is that those changes will stick. Mlb owners wanted to "streamline " player dev anyway and contract the minors so maybe they use this draft to start this and always make only like a 15-20 round draft instead of 40.

After a 10 round draft there will be less resistance against a 20  round draft then after a 40 round draft.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Three players over there just tested positive...so they might be set back more than one week or have to postpone, because Japanese virus situation is changing by the hour now as well.

True.

I'm going to be honest: while I'm glad there is pushback against the 5 round draft (there should have been a gradual raising of limits for certain number of UDFAs to get bonuses of at least 100k or more, or a separate pool), I don't think enough people are admitting that these are extraordinary circumstances. They have already committed to paying their players salaries despite possibility of not playing, so to then commit additional money in a year of possibly huge negative cash flows IS difficult, even aside from the idea that they haven't had the traditional scouting available.

It sucks for this years draft class. But it sucks for the vendors of the stadium. It sucks for the millions now unemployed. It sucks for the hospital workers putting lives at risk. They hit a once in a century phenomenon, but there are worse things going on. It's hard for me to look at this in the traditional labor/mgmt lens.