2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Don't like the draft changes but which manfred rules are bad?

Instant replay?

Catcher collisions banned?

DP Brake up slide banned?

Second wildcard?

No pitch IBB?

3 batter minimum?

26th roster spot?

Pitch clock?

I like most of those rules. Manfred is a puppet of the owners and I'm not a big fan but I don't hate most of the actual rule changes of his era so far. Jury is still out on the changes he likely will be like international draft or robot ump but I don't think those will be bad either.

To each his own, but I dislike all the rules I bolded

The idea of robot umps and the extra innings experiment in the minors makes me sick as well

Leave the game alone

I see James posted his mock so I'll post mine.  I had to drop Ed.  He's going to be hurt the most if they don't play this spring.

1. Detroit Austin Martin OF Vandy
2. Baltimore Spencer Torkelson 1B Arizona St
3. Miami Asa Lacy LHP Texas A&M
4. Kansas City Emerson Hancock RHP Georgia
5. Toronto Zac Veen OF Spruce Creek HS
6. Seattle Reid Detmers LHP Louisville
7. Pittsburgh Nick Gonzales 2B New Mexico St
8. San Diego Max Meyer RHP Minnesota
9. Colorado Garrett Crochet LHP Tennessee
10. LA Angels Patrick Bailey C NC State
11. Chicago WS Cade Cavalli RHP Oklahoma
12. Cincinnati Heston Kjerstad OF Arkansas
13. San Francisco Mick Abel RHP Jesuit HS
14. Texas Pete Crow Armstrong OF Harvard Westlake HS
15. Philadelphia Cole Wilcox RHP Georgia
16. Chicago Cubs Jared Kelley RHP Refugio HS
17. Boston Austin Hendrick OF West Allegheny HS
18. Arizona Ed Howard SS Mt Carmel
19. NY Mets Robert Hassell OF Independance HS
20. Milwaukee Carmen Mlodzinski RHP South Carolina
21. St Louis Tyler Soderstrom C Turlock HS
22. Washington Garrett Mitchell OF UCLA
23. Cleveland Nick Bitsko RHP Central Bucks HS
24. Tampa Bay Justin Lange RHP Llano HS
25. Atlanta Tommy Mace RHP Florida
26. Oakland Bryce Jarvis RHP Duke
27. Minnesota Dylan Crews OF Lake St Mary's HS
28. NY Yankees Clayton Beeter RHP Texas Tech
29. LA Dodgers Bobby Miller RHP Louisville

16 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm still not sure how this impacts the talent taken...Obviously only 5 rounds now, but aren't HS kids most likely going to at least JuCo now? Who else is impacted? Spring athletes gain another year of eligibility in NCAA

The juniors are the most impacted but they got good news. The top players will still get paid as always. It's important that these guys got an extra year of eligibility though. Now the juniors can return to school and be juniors again. If they had to return as seniors next year, they'd have absolutely no leverage and would likely accepting much less than they'd normally get to go pro. This won't really impact the seniors at all. They have no leverage. They'll most likely sign from $5-$20K like they normally would. If the draft is 10 rounds though, guys in 11-40 were able to sign for $125K before. Now, anyone not drafted is limited to $20K which is a joke. More high school guys will go to college for sure but not the very top ones. The other issue is the deferred bonus payments. A player like Spencer Torkelson will receive $8 million or so. He gets $100K right now plus $4 million in 2021 and $4 million in 2022. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The juniors are the most impacted but they got good news. The top players will still get paid as always. It's important that these guys got an extra year of eligibility though. Now the juniors can return to school and be juniors again. If they had to return as seniors next year, they'd have absolutely no leverage and would likely accepting much less than they'd normally get to go pro. This won't really impact the seniors at all. They have no leverage. They'll most likely sign from $5-$20K like they normally would. If the draft is 10 rounds though, guys in 11-40 were able to sign for $125K before. Now, anyone not drafted is limited to $20K which is a joke. More high school guys will go to college for sure but not the very top ones. The other issue is the deferred bonus payments. A player like Spencer Torkelson will receive $8 million or so. He gets $100K right now plus $4 million in 2021 and $4 million in 2022. 

The issue is will the team give them the scholarships to stay. The money from their scholarships has already been allocated to a new athlete for next year. Will the school increase the scholarship money by that same amount or will the athletes have to pay? Also there is rumors going around it may only apply to seniors so the juniors may return but return as seniors.

Many athletes may not be able to afford to stay in school.

The first round HS talents (i.e toolsy players with advanced playability and mechanics) will sign anyway, especially since there is speculation of the next draft being shorter too and colleges will have a crunch too with extra eligibility.

The guys who will not sign is the high upside more raw/flawed guys who would have been taken like 50-100th overall in the draft.

32 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

The first round HS talents (i.e toolsy players with advanced playability and mechanics) will sign anyway, especially since there is speculation of the next draft being shorter too and colleges will have a crunch too with extra eligibility.

The guys who will not sign is the high upside more raw/flawed guys who would have been taken like 50-100th overall in the draft.

Yep and the HS guys hoping to get drafted who are comitted to mid-majors will end up at JC's and hope to get picked next year.  I'm surprised the NCAA granted a year to everyone but it doesn't help their pro prospects any.  They will just be a year older and teams that use models do not like older players.  

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

BA updated draft rankings. Posting the top 15. Also a blurb showing the biggest upward movers.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2020-mlb-draft-top-prospects/

1.) Austin Martin

2.) Spencer Torkelson

3.) Asa Lacy

4.) Emerson Hancock

5.) Nick Gonzales

6.) Garret Mitchell

7.)  Zac Veen

8.) Reid Detmers

9.) Austin Hendrick

10.) Max Meyer

11.) Jared Kelley

12.) Mick Abel

13.) Garrett Crochet

14.) Patrick Bailey

15.) Heston Kjerstad

No. 22 Cade Cavalli, RHP, Oklahoma (+10)

No. 37 Dillon Dingler, C, Ohio State (+38)

No. 45 Bryce Jarvis, RHP, Duke (+36)

No. 47 Jared Shuster, LHP, Wake Forest (+29)

No. 69 Kyle Nicolas, RHP, Ball State (+17)

No. 87 Nick Yorke, SS, Archbishop Mitty HS, San Jose, Calif. (+177)

No. 94 Anthony Servideo, SS, Mississippi (+62)

No. 98 Connor Phillips, RHP, McLennan (Texas) JC (+52)

No. 107 Stevie Emanuels, RHP, Washington

No. 127 Dane Acker, RHP, Oklahoma (+86)

Edited by DirtySox

BA has also updated the Cade Cavalli scouting report. He's someone with notable helium, even more so on Law's list. See below if you too wanted to know more about him.

If you were creating the blueprint for an ideal pitcher’s body, Cavalli might look like the end product. A towering, 6-foot-4, 218-pound righthander who looks like an All-American quarterback, Cavalli on paper has everything you’d want to see in a frontline arm. He can dial his fastball up to 98 mph and the pitch sits in the mid-90s with ease. After that, he has a devastating slider in the 87-90 mph range with impressive lateral movement and serves as an out-pitch to both lefties and righties. Next, he has a curveball and a changeup that are solid-average with growth potential. Cavalli throws everything out of a picturesque arm action and delivery as well. While the stuff, delivery and frame are all easy check marks, there are a few question marks. Perhaps because of how clean Cavalli’s operation is, hitters tend to square up his fastball more than the velocity would suggest. Scouts wonder if he has any deception in his delivery. While the fastball has 70-grade velocity, it plays down at least a grade and perhaps more, and he has a history of erratic control that makes it more difficult to work to his secondary offerings. He improved in the strike-throwing department through four starts this spring (just five walks in 23.2 innings) but he’s never posted a WHIP lower than 1.27 in his career and gives up plenty of hits. Additionally, he has a troubling injury history going back to his high school days. He rarely pitched during his senior year because of lingering back issues and also missed time in 2019 due to a stress reaction in his arm. While Cavalli has first-round pure stuff, big upside and one of the better bodies in the 2020 class, he could fall into the second round because of concerns about how that stuff plays, the quality of his strikes and questions about durability. He was trending up prior to the end of the season and never got a chance to put everything together, but enough scouts have seen him synched up in short stints to dream about his future potential.

46 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

BA has also updated the Cade Cavalli scouting report. He's someone with notable helium, even more so on Law's list. See below if you too wanted to know more about him.

I would be a bit worried about that. His FB does look straight and in the video the hitter was fouling off a ton of fastballs. If he loses 2 or 3 mph on his Fb it could be very bad.

You can be good with a bad fastball (kluber) but then you have to have at least one plus plus offspeed pitch.

That's not something I'm too terribly worried about with this guy.  He's big, strong, athletic and he does it really clean and easy.  They can make little adjustments to help him add some deception or they could give him a 2 seamer or a different grip to make the ball cut.  He checks a lot of boxes for me.  

• Like 1