2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

10 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

So who are the contenders for the Sox at 11? Howard, Kelley, and Crochet? Anyone else?

I'd break it up into tiers. It's going to be college heavy at the top. Spencer Torkelson, Austin Martin, Asa Lacy, Nick Gonzales and Emerson Hancock are the likely top 5. Zac Veen is the top HS OF in the class. Max Meyer is the RHP from Minnesota and Reid Detmers the southpaw from Louisville. So those guys are probably all gone but you never know. College outfielders Garrett Mitchell and Heston Kjerstad, prep righties Jared Kelley and Mick Abel and prep hitters Robert Hassel, Austin Hendrick and Ed Howard seem to be the options along with Garrett Crochet and Cade Cavalli. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Quite a few mocks have Max Meyer dropping to the Sox. If size is his biggest red flag, I’m interested. 

I think he'll be gone but it'd be an interesting decision if he's on the board. 

1 hour ago, SkokieSox said:

Quite a few mocks have Max Meyer dropping to the Sox. If size is his biggest red flag, I’m interested. 

He has red flags other than his size.  There's violence in the delivery and there are some mechanical issues but teams pay for tools and stuff at the top of the draft and there is no doubt he has big time stuff.  I also think he'll be gone before the Sox pick at 11.  

On 5/9/2020 at 1:47 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He has red flags other than his size.  There's violence in the delivery and there are some mechanical issues but teams pay for tools and stuff at the top of the draft and there is no doubt he has big time stuff.  I also think he'll be gone before the Sox pick at 11.  

Fangraphs has Meyer at 13 and Detmers at 15

I don't know why mocks still intrigue me so much when there is so little influencing them. I think aside from veen, the hs outfielders and hjerstad are the least interesting to me at 11.

52 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Jared Kelly pulse - Anyone disappointed if that’s who is selected?

Yes, pretty nervous about him. Probably the riskiest prototype in the draft.

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They can sign but only for $20K. They'll either go to school or play at JUCO next year. 

Going to be an interesting process

I may be wrong, but haven't we signed some HSers for not that much in recent years?

Anxious to see how the Draft plays out...I assume wasting a pick on a college SR wouldn't be wise

Kiley McDaniel's first mock at ESPN came out today: https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/29154256/kiley-mcdaniel-2020-mlb-mock-draft-10

11. Chicago White Sox: Reid Detmers, LHP, Louisville

The White Sox are another team leaning heavily toward college options at this pick, though they've leaned that way in recent years for higher picks as well. Kjerstad fits here if he makes it down to this pick. It makes a lot of sense for the White Sox to add the Illinois prep product who could be big league ready right as the team gets to playoff contention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Depends how the rest of the draft plays out.  If they get him at a low number then overslot their 2nd and 3rd rounders I'd be kinda ok with it. Not the way I'd go but it's a plan.  

I just wonder how well expensive it will be able to convince preps now. The deferred earnings make it a lot easier to justify school. Obviously, it's still guaranteed money.

On top of that you aren't much more likely to get training in mlb camps than you would college.

I'd imagine there's going to be a premium, but there will be a lot of college talent for cheap that may sign in FA so it's definitely a strategy to go big for some young talent at risk of miscalculating and wasting some budget 

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just wonder how well expensive it will be able to convince preps now. The deferred earnings make it a lot easier to justify school. Obviously, it's still guaranteed money.

On top of that you aren't much more likely to get training in mlb camps than you would college.

I'd imagine there's going to be a premium, but there will be a lot of college talent for cheap that may sign in FA so it's definitely a strategy to go big for some young talent at risk of miscalculating and wasting some budget 

What was once an easy decision is now much more difficult for HS players.  No one knows what the draft will look like going forward so I still think all the top HS guys sign. The reason I say they need to get Kelley at a significant savings is I don't think he's the best HS pitcher.  If they take Kelley at 11 they better know they're gonna get dudes with the 2nd and 3rd picks.  As far as college guys signing it will depend on if teams include college.  I still haven't heard a definitive yes or no on that.  If it's just $20k with no school they should just stay and get their degree.  

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

What was once an easy decision is now much more difficult for HS players.  No one knows what the draft will look like going forward so I still think all the top HS guys sign. The reason I say they need to get Kelley at a significant savings is I don't think he's the best HS pitcher.  If they take Kelley at 11 they better know they're gonna get dudes with the 2nd and 3rd picks.  As far as college guys signing it will depend on if teams include college.  I still haven't heard a definitive yes or no on that.  If it's just $20k with no school they should just stay and get their degree.  

I get why you said that, I just think it's a difficult gamble this year because it's hard to bank on depth later on. Now, teams actually get to discuss this stuff with players so they'll have a better idea.

And money is money, at the very least you have a better shot to guarantee players later on. Just seems like this is a draft where it's easy to justify playing it safe with what's in front of you (if sox had kelley and another player rated the same at 11...I'd go with the other guy).

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I've been told that teams can pay for college, etc. The bonus is a flat $20K though.