2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

30 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Keith Law mock draft.  Hook a brother up.  

https://theathletic.com/1809918/2020/05/13/keith-law-2020-mlb-mock-draft-first-round-projection-1-0?source=user-shared-article

11. Chicago White Sox: Patrick Bailey, C, NC State

We’ll see if their drafting direction changes at all under new scouting director Mike Shirley; they haven’t taken a high school player in the first round since 2012, and this doesn’t seem like the year to go in that direction with the 11th pick. You don’t really draft for need in baseball, but the White Sox don’t have a viable catching prospect in their top 20.

Kelley, Howard, and Crochet all on the board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Another college bat. Interesting.  Thank you.  

Some more blurbs regarding players we've discussed as Sox targets or just of interest. Also worth noting he doesn't have Kelly in the 1st round.

9. Colorado Rockies: Heston Kjerstad, OF, Arkansas

Kjerstad blew up this spring before the season ended, showing more game power and a better approach, although he wasn’t tested in SEC play. He’s got loose hands but had high strikeout rates in his first two years with the Razorbacks that cause some concern about his long-term hit tool.

19. New York Mets: Cade Cavalli, RHP, Oklahoma

Cavalli would probably be a top ten pick if he didn’t have his history of minor arm issues, bringing a plus fastball/breaking ball combination and throwing strikes this year in his four outings at a much higher rate than he had last spring.

20. Milwaukee Brewers: Bryce Jarvis, RHP, Duke

Jarvis was draft-eligible as a sophomore last year but wasn’t signable for worth, going in the 37th round to the Yankees. The son of long-time big leaguer Kevin Jarvis came out throwing harder and with better command and control this spring, possibly enough to get himself into the first round — especially if he’s willing to take a discount as a 22.5-year-old junior.

24. Tampa Bay Rays: Ed Howard, SS, Mount Carmel (Ill.) HS

Howard has first-round tools and is the most likely long-term shortstop of the class, but he wasn’t great last summer, and he lost the opportunity to play against good competition this spring when USA Baseball’s NHSI tournament was canceled.

25. Atlanta Braves: Garrett Crochet, LHP, Tennessee

I have heard Crochet going higher than this, more by range than to any specific team, but he threw just 3.2 innings this year in an outing barely anyone saw, and his secondary stuff wasn’t very good last year, so the enormous arm strength is really his main calling card — and I don’t know that that merits a top 15-ish pick in this college pitching class.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

New BA mock up as well. Bailey as well for the White Sox.

11.) Patrick Bailey

North Carolina State C

Like Kjerstad, Bailey’s collegiate resume gives teams a lot of safety and with his catch-and-throw skill and power production in the ACC he should go off the board among the top 15 easily. This would make Bailey the highest drafted NC State player since Carlos Rodon in 2014. “He’s got a shot to sneak into the top 10,” said one scout. “Best catcher in the draft and teams always need catching.”

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/mlb-mock-draft/

Edited by DirtySox

I'm relatively sure the sox will pick another college player unless one of the top 1-2 falls because the strength of this draft is clearly college players and a college player also fits the timeline of the sox window better.

So either a college pitcher or hitter.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Good stuff thank you for sharing.  It's weird both had them linked to Bailey.  It wouldn't upset me but not the direction I want them to go.

This is where I'm at.

Going off Pipeline, Bailey's a switch hitting catcher with solid-to-good defense, solid power, and draws walks. 

I'll never complain about having that in the system, but I'm way more enticed by an arm or Howard right now. Granted, I may just be in the SoxTalk echo chamber.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

If "Teams always need catching" you'd think catchers would go for a lot more than they do in FA.

Yeah I agree. Having a good catcher is a plus but since a catcher usually can only catch for like 450 PAs his offensive impact is a bit limited and thus teams often just except bad catcher hitting, get some guys with good gloves and get offense elsewhere.

Sure if you get a guy like Grandal or realmuto that is good but otherwise a good fielder with a 90 wrc+ is fine too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Good stuff thank you for sharing.  It's weird both had them linked to Bailey.  It wouldn't upset me but not the direction I want them to go.

I wonder if this is mostly speculation, or if there has been some smoke linking the Sox to him.  

I'm no pro, but I'm with you on the direction.  Bailey seems like a fine pick, and wouldn't seem to be a reach or anything.  But I'd prefer one of the pitchers(Kelley, Meyer or Crochet), Kjerstad or Howard I think.  

5 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I'm relatively sure the sox will pick another college player unless one of the top 1-2 falls because the strength of this draft is clearly college players and a college player also fits the timeline of the sox window better.

So either a college pitcher or hitter.

It's an interesting debate. A high upside HS player could replenish the lower levels, which really need it.

However, look how college players helped build the sox back in the day with McDowell, Ventura, and Thomas in consecutive drafts in the top 10 picks. Madrigal, Vaughn, and a college player this year (top 11) could be that for this current team.

I'd go high school. Bat or Arm. Take the top overall player.

I do not get the Hjerstad love.  His swing looks stiff and I can see a lot of swing and miss in his game at the next level.  Does not project well as a CF either with average arm strength and not great speed.  I see him as a LF and I'll take the Sox OF prospects in the system over him.  

If he was a HSer, maybe, but major pass as a 21 year old turning 22 in February with one loud tool (power).  

31 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

I do not get the Hjerstad love.  His swing looks stiff and I can see a lot of swing and miss in his game at the next level.  Does not project well as a CF either with average arm strength and not great speed.  I see him as a LF and I'll take the Sox OF prospects in the system over him.  

If he was a HSer, maybe, but major pass as a 21 year old turning 22 in February with one loud tool (power).  

Well, like I said, I'm no pro, but it sounds like he can hit, along with hitting for power, and I think the Sox have CF covered for a while, so if he is  LF, that isn't really a big deal. 

Just curious, in the system right now, who do you like more aside from the obvious in Robert?  I would think he'd be the only one rated higher if Kjerstad was drafted.  

Edited by turnin' two

45 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

He's a consistent performer in the SEC.  Teams like that.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, I think that would be a great way to go too, I just don't see it happening in the first round, especially with this situation, but new regime, so who knows.  

If you want HS players in this draft you have 5 chances to get one. That's it.

Bailey from Callis as well.

11. White Sox: Patrick Bailey, C, North Carolina State
The White Sox might also like a crack at the Hancock/Meyer/Detmers group but in this scenario they wind up with Bailey. Chicago could be the high-water mark for Texas high school right-hander Jared Kelley.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-mock-draft-jim-callis-picks-1st-round

• Like 2

I wish we could trade picks.  They had better add that into the new CBA.  Imagine if we could get Crochet by trading down to like 20 and picking up a 3rd rounder or something.  Also imagine how much better the rebuild could have gone if we had been able to trade marginal role players like Xavier Cedeno etc. for like a 7th round pick and the bonus slot, which could then be used to  go over slot to buy some projected top-100 talent out of a college commitment.  Maybe trade 3 or 4 middle relief types and then sign all college seniors for the minimum and come away with an extra 2nd round or even high first pick or something.