2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

4 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I think I would really like to see the White Sox get creative and try to nab an injured JT Ginn with a second round pick. Perhaps underslot a prep arm/Howard to free up some money for it. I'm normally more risk-averse, but I really love Ginn, and the fallback of a compensatory pick the following year if you don't sign him makes it an easier pill to swallow. Alas, this is more of a Washington Nationals move than a Chicago one.

Was just thinking this

I personally like Blaze Jordan the most for R2

It’s hard not to ignore the athletic upside of Howard, local kid or not. 

Detmers is enticing prob best CVB in draft. Can never have enough pitching but less a left hander. 

Kelley is a flame thrower with big time front line starter potential but we’ve seen this orgs obvious preference for college players in rd1. 

I think with who’s likely available Shirley may finally buck that trend and go either with Kelley or Howard. 

• Like 1

I’m really hoping for Soderstrom because of the hit tool but if the Sox draft him, I hope they immediately have him in the OF or at 3B. 

Detmers has been my preference for a while as he can help the current core out and it also fits a need as the Sox need pitching depth.

I also wouldn’t be mad at Bailey, who looks to have a really high floor. 

If no minor league action this year, and no clear visibility into 2021 and, given the truncated seasons of HS and college players (read where Abel hasn't thrown a game pitch since last season), does anyone have a read on how teams might view the lengthy inactivity in terms of draft risk. Would teams be more inclined to draft college players with longer histories or might they feel the added 'downtime' might benefit some of the younger players...like Abel and/or Howard?

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Now that I found out that Crochet is a likely reliever, I hope that Detmers falls or they take Kjerstad. 

Kjerstad.  Blah.  Another college outfielder?  I think that's the last pick they'll go to.  Kjerstad is power or he's nothing.

44 minutes ago, Flash said:

If no minor league action this year, and no clear visibility into 2021 and, given the truncated seasons of HS and college players (read where Abel hasn't thrown a game pitch since last season), does anyone have a read on how teams might view the lengthy inactivity in terms of draft risk. Would teams be more inclined to draft college players with longer histories or might they feel the added 'downtime' might benefit some of the younger players...like Abel and/or Howard?

I think teams will stay true to what they are.  The conservative teams will grab the safe college guys and the aggressive teams will grab the high ceiling riskier high school guys.  

The twist becomes two fold for the White Sox.

#1, they have a new guy running the draft who seemingly pushed the Sox towards more early and late HS picks then I can ever remember them taking.

#2, if they an put together a draft where they some decent savings in their top pick, it could allow them to go very high school heavy in the draft.  In fact for my two cents, it isn't hard to envision a scenario where they get together with a top HS kid and offer say 75-90% of slot.  Typically it is not worth it to sign at that kind of a number for a HS kid, but you can get paid now, and start your pro career, or you can go to college and run into a log jam of HS players who were forced to do the same down the road both competing for college jobs, and down the road in the draft.  You may also be looking for a job after a lot of minor league teams are being cut.

If you can get some big savings done with the #1 pick, it allows you some big dollars.  Saving just 10% on the top pick is an extra $450 k to spread out over the last four picks.  Keep in mind we don't have to save any more for late picks as those are capped at $20k.

I have no idea what having the new leadership with the draft means to the team, but one can build an interesting case for being ultra-aggressive, especially if they think they have some big Cuban talent coming in that also allows them to take a few more draft risks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GGajewski18 said:

Kjerstad.  Blah.  Another college outfielder?  I think that's the last pick they'll go to.  Kjerstad is power or he's nothing.

While this isn't my preferred route, especially if the Sox are gonna go all in on Cespedes, you want the BPA. If the Sox think Kjerstad has the absolute best chance of being the best major leaguer, go for it.

Before last season we had seemingly amazing OF prospect depth behind Eloy and Robert. Now it's barren.

• Like 2

I wonder how much of a discount they could get on Crochet at 11.  The Sox handled Sale excellently, and with LHP they have overall done a very good job over the years all things considered IMO.  If they think they can make him a starter, Crochet and a savings is a no-brainer to me.  I would love to see that where the savings are put to use in the third round and maybe the 4th if there is space left.  The 5th rounder is probably going to have his back against the wall and will sign for slot anyway.

One question, which picks do we get back if we can't sign a player?    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HollywoodTim said:

I wonder how much of a discount they could get on Crochet at 11.  The Sox handled Sale excellently, and with LHP they have overall done a very good job over the years all things considered IMO.  If they think they can make him a starter, Crochet and a savings is a no-brainer to me.  I would love to see that where the savings are put to use in the third round and maybe the 4th if there is space left.  The 5th rounder is probably going to have his back against the wall and will sign for slot anyway.

One question, which picks do we get back if we can't sign a player?    

Any of them as long as 40% of slot value is offered. 

I'm doing a mock draft for FutureSox and I'm gonna do all 5 rounds for Sox included in there. I won't give player names right now but I went like this:

1st Round: HS pitcher $4 million

2nd Round: College Pitcher $2 million

3rd Round: HS OF $1.2 million

4th Round College Infielder: $600K 

5th Round College Pitcher: $350K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm doing a mock draft for FutureSox and I'm gonna do all 5 rounds for Sox included in there. I won't give player names right now but I went like this:

Without seeing any names, I have to say I love this layout.  Thanks!

Edited by turnin' two

53 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

You and your Jared Kelley obsession :)

thanks for the great work as always 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think something like this format is very plausible.  it think in retrospect, this will be the year that HS cut the worst deals ever for themselves due to complete lack of bargaining power.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I am going to try and guess that you went kelley / mlodzinski

18 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I like this format, I think often time naysayers get too picky regarding names who are often time a similar commodity

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I would be shocked if Mlodzinski is still available at 47.

Well it's above slot. I've seen him and Van Eyk all over the place though, yeah I guess I would put the money on college pitching rising all things considered.

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

Well it's above slot. I've seen him and Van Eyk all over the place though, yeah I guess I would put the money on college pitching rising all things considered.

5 teams (O's, Miami, KC, SD, Rockies)  have 2 selections between the Sox 1st and 2nd round picks.  It will be extremely risky to try to float someone to the 2nd round.  

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

5 teams (O's, Miami, KC, SD, Rockies)  have 2 selections between the Sox 1st and 2nd round picks.  It will be extremely risky to try to float someone to the 2nd round.  

I wouldn't consider this floating. If you take kelley you probably get a deal, but I would hope they don't pick him to get a deal.

I don't feel confident saying any one player will make it to 47, but when I see an expensive college pitcher at 47 I'd guess it's a play on van eyk, burns or mlodzinski falling. I could just as easily him in the teens, but it's a mock draft, so I'll go with the pitcher I like most. 

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wouldn't consider this floating. If you take kelley you probably get a deal, but I would hope they don't pick him to get a deal.

I don't feel confident saying any one player will make it to 47, but when I see an expensive college pitcher at 47 I'd guess it's a play on van eyk, burns or mlodzinski falling. I could just as easily him in the teens, but it's a mock draft, so I'll go with the pitcher I like most. 

Players will commonly give outrageous bonus demands to artificially push themselves down to teams that they already have deals with.  It is a way of saying you have a deal, when you technically can't have a deal.