2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Bingo. He might not get there though. 

Reasonable chance he will be there. Would love to see Jarvis slide to us here but unlikely. Since lots of buzz re: catchers, maybe Dingler a possibility here ?

14 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There are some who think Dingler is better than Bailey.  

Appears to be a group of talented catchers, each with plusses and minuses, which is why I can't see using # 11 on Bailey. If Dingler falls to us in Rd 2, would be hard pressed to pass but I think I'd still favor Jimmy's guy, Shuster, if they were both available.

I think this is not the year to be smart in the draft, especially for a team like the sox who is improving in that regard but not elite in the analytics stuff like the Dodgers, Rays or astros.

Just get the best players in the first two rounds and then see what you can get later.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

@DirtySox

I'll give one to you.

Straight up between the two, would you prefer Detmers or Crochet?

I have to go Detmers. I'm much more risk averse than you are and tend to gravitate more towards floor. Between the two there are too many unknowns for me with Crochet. Give me the super polished lefty with solid offerings, great makeup, and the chance to be in a big league rotation in short order. Even if he tops out as "just" a mid rotation piece I'd be happy with the selection.

A caveat. I think my answer would change to Crochet if the state of the system was a little different? There isn't enough pitching depth period. If there were one or two Detmers already in the system, I'm going for the ceiling guy at 11.

Edited by DirtySox

5 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I have to go Detmers. I'm much more risk averse than you are and tend to gravitate more towards floor. Between the two there are too many unknowns for me with Crochet. Give me the super polished lefty with solid offerings, great makeup, and the chance to be in a big league rotation in short order. Even if he tops out as "just" a mid rotation piece I'd be happy with the selection.

A caveat. I think my answer would change to Crochet if the state of the system was a little different? There isn't enough pitching depth period. If there were one or two Detmers already in the system, I'm going for the ceiling guy at 11.

I think maybe that is the strategy for some teams, but in our position, I think we should be looking for the type of player to slot ahead of Kopech, Cease, Giolito, good Reynaldo, etc. rather than behind those guys.  We already have so many SPs with frontline potential that it is kind of foolish to me to use such a high pick chasing a guy without so much ceiling, because odds are that at least one of that group will fail or will be much less than hoped.  I think the pathway should probably be to either draft another rotation ace or draft a guy we can trade for one.  

I'm really hoping Crochet and extra cash but it seems like all the mocks are pointing at that not happening.

7 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I like Detmers. I like him a lot.  Left handed starting pitching might be the rarest commidity in baseball right now and he's a polished strike thrower who can spin the shit out of it.  I do however have a couple concerns.  He doesn't have that wow factor you look for at the top of the draft. He has a fringe avg fastball and a solid avg change so if big league hitters spit on the curveball how is he going to get them out?  Yes the fastball and change play well together and he has great spin rates so much so the analytics guys make a mess in their pants.  I just worry his stuff plays against amateurs but won't against big leaguers.

I love Crochets profile. Big and athletic with a plus plus fastball, above avg slider and plus change with angle and deception. The strikes have been good so I'm not worried about him remaining a starter and I'm not concerned about the lack of track record. That's the only thing he's missing and if he had that the question wouldn't be Detmers or Crochet it would be Lacy or Crochet.

10 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I might like Dillon Dingler better than Patrick Bailey. 

I’m a fan of Dingler super athletic and has huge upside offensively and defensively. Sophomore numbers were down because of broken hamate. Might be a player you can cut a deal and have some savings for Rounds 2-3. Definitely early at #11, but it all depends on the Sox strategy. Going to be fun to see what teams will do to take advantage this Draft. I’m sure your going to see the typicals Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, etc. take advantage of the $20,000 signings. Sox will probably will take a back seat knowing Reinsdorf past history of being cheap. Baseball America mentioned Dodgers always had scouts watching Dingler’s games this Spring. 

Edited by PolishPrince34

1 hour ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I’m a fan of Dingler super athletic and has huge upside offensively and defensively. Sophomore numbers were down because of broken hamate. Might be a player you can cut a deal and have some savings for Rounds 2-3. Definitely early at #11, but it all depends on the Sox strategy. Going to be fun to see what teams will do to take advantage this Draft. I’m sure your going to see the typicals Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, etc. take advantage of the $20,000 signings. Sox will probably will take a back seat knowing Reinsdorf past history of being cheap. Baseball America mentioned Dodgers always had scouts watching Dingler’s games this Spring. 

Reinsdorf has a long history of hating draft spending and being cheap. They've spent close to 5% over their pool the last three years though.