2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

1 hour ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Yes, he’s done it the last 3 drafts. Do you see Reinsdorf giving The ok to spend $20,000 spending of free agent players? My personal opinion and with the Sox losing money this year with no play Reinsdorf will sit on the sidelines. 

This is a huge discount over normal.  Why wouldn't they?

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a huge discount over normal.  Why wouldn't they?

I think they will. They have 5 picks totaling around $7.8 million. Those 5 picks will cost Reinsdorf a total of $500K this year. The rest of the bonuses are over the next two years. They should be expected to go over their pool if necessary. 

• Like 2

BA has some head to head draft prospect pieces up. Will share one of them. Abel vs Kelley.

Fastball: Kelley and Abel have reached similar peak velocities, both getting up to the 99 mph range at various times, but Kelley gets the edge here because his fastball velocity is more consistently in the upper 90s. The Texan also has exceptional feel to spot his fastball where he wants. EDGE: Kelley.

Breaking Ball: Abel gets the nod here, because his low-80s slider was voted the best overall breaking pitch in the high school class by scouting directors on our preseason best tools list. Abel’s slider is consistently sharp with good depth and tilt, while the development of Kelley’s breaking ball is one of his bigger questions he faces. EDGE: Abel

Changeup: Both Kelley and Abel have changeups that stack up among the best in the class, though Kelley’s takes a very slight edge here. The pitch sits in the low 80s with excellent diving life, and he throws the pitch with impressive arm speed and has advanced feel to consistently locate the offering at the bottom of the zone. EDGE: Kelley

Control: Both Kelley and Abel are regarded as two of the better strike-throwers in the class, but scouting directors voted that Abel had better command, and for that he gets the edge here. Consistently landing his entire arsenal is the another area of separation in this category. EDGE: Abel

X Factor: Current physicality is perhaps the biggest difference between Kelley and Abel. The former is close to physically maxed out at 6-foot-3, 215 pounds and already possesses a pro-ready frame. Scouts believe Kelley has the durability to handle a five-day workload. Abel is much lankier at 6-foot-5, 180 pounds, with more room for added strength gains in the future. While he added weight over the offseason, his frame suggests more room for future physical development. This could benefit either pitcher depending on team preference. Some clubs want physical prep players, while others might prefer to dream on what Abel could look like in several years. EDGE: Draw.

Scout's take on Abel: “I’m enamored with this one. I love him. I think he’s got a chance to be really good. He has now stuff, up to 96-97 (mph), breaking balls, projection, delivery . . . Front-of-the-rotation ceiling.”

Scout's take on Kelley: “He is a man amongst boys . . . At the Area Codes he was just toying with guys . . . The last guy who I saw who could pitch fastball/changeup like that was Chris Paddack, and you saw how quick he got to the big leagues—and Kelley has better stuff than Paddack in high school.”

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mick-abel-vs-jared-kelley-2020-mlb-draft-prospect-showdown-rhp-rankings/

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Updated my mock.  I pushed a lot of HS guys down the board. 

1. Detroit Spencer Torkelson 1B Arizona St
2. Baltimore Austin Martin OF Vandy
3. Miami Asa Lacy LHP Texas A&M
4. Kansas City Zac Veen OF Spruce Creek HS
5. Toronto Emerson Hancock RHP Georgia
6. Seattle Reid Detmers LHP Louisville
7. Pittsburgh Mick Abel RHP Jesuit HS
8. San Diego Max Meyer RHP Minnesota
9. Colorado Garrett Crochet LHP Tennessee
10. LA Angels Nick Gonzales 2B New Mexico St
11. Chicago WS Heston Kjerstad OF Arkansas
12. Cincinnati Bryce Jarvis RHP Duke
13. San Francisco Robert Hassell OF Independance HS
14. Texas Nick Loftin SS Baylor
15. Philadelphia Patrick Bailey C NC State
16. Chicago Cubs Cade Cavalli RHP Oklahoma
17. Boston Garrett Mitchell OF UCLA
18. Arizona Dillon Dingler C Ohio St
19. NY Mets Cole Wilcox RHP Georgia
20. Milwaukee Tyler Soderstrom C Turlock HS
21. St Louis Carmen Mlodzinski RHP South Carolina
22. Washington Austin Hendrick OF West Allegheny HS
23. Cleveland Nick Bitsko RHP Central Bucks HS
24. Tampa Bay Pete Crow Armstrong OF Harvard Westlake 
25. Atlanta Ed Howard SS Mt Carmel HS
26. Oakland Tanner Burns RHP Auburn
27. Minnesota CJ Van Eck RHP Florida St
28. NY Yankees Chris McMahon RHP Miami
29. LA Dodgers Clayton Beeter RHP Texas Tech
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

FWIW, just 5 minutes ago I read Fegan article in which he said Kjerstad strikes out too much.

Edited by oldsox

18% k rate over 3 years in the SEC.  11% in 78 AB's this year.  Maybe a tad high but certainly not too much and you don't know how Arkansas coached him.  They may have told him we want you to do damage so don't cut down your swing with 2 strikes.  That's why you evaluate the player and not the stats.  I like Kjerstad fine but again not the direction I would like to see them go.  

Kiley McDaniel released his latest mock with intel on all teams: https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/29216982/kiley-mcdaniel-2020-mlb-mock-draft-20

He has Patrick Bailey to the Sox again. I will say this about it: I know that the Sox and Bailey's camp have talked money. 

11. Chicago White Sox: Patrick Bailey, C, North Carolina State

Chicago is looking for college bats, and Bailey fits this pick very well in terms of value and the White Sox's system. It's a common connection in the industry.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

18% k rate over 3 years in the SEC.  11% in 78 AB's this year.  Maybe a tad high but certainly not too much and you don't know how Arkansas coached him.  They may have told him we want you to do damage so don't cut down your swing with 2 strikes.  That's why you evaluate the player and not the stats.  I like Kjerstad fine but again not the direction I would like to see them go.  

No Kelley even in first round? School at that point?

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I thnk he'll go in the comp round. Maybe the Pirates get Abel and Kelley.  Ha

Sounds like a huntington draft but I guess that's probably most of the scouts at this point.

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Thanks. This is fun. Some observations. You have Jarvis higher than most mocks I've seen. I like him a lot as well. You have Gonzales much lower. I suppose he might not have an immediate landing spot if KC passes on him? I know he has an archetype you typically haven't been enamored with. You also have Nick Loftin going pretty early. Just read a bit on him, sounds like he could be a pretty good value. Lastly, you have Mitchell further down than I have seen. This attributed to the diabetes? The in-game power profile? Or both? Bonus question. Where do you think Ginn goes and do you think he signs?

For me, hoping for Abel, Detmers or Meyer in that order although a coin flip between Detmers and Meyers. With #2 am hoping one of the top catchers falls to us...maybe Dingler or Wells but probably wishful thinking. If not, college fireballers, ideally LH. 

53 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Thanks. This is fun. Some observations. You have Jarvis higher than most mocks I've seen. I like him a lot as well. You have Gonzales much lower. I suppose he might not have an immediate landing spot if KC passes on him? I know he has an archetype you typically haven't been enamored with. You also have Nick Loftin going pretty early. Just read a bit on him, sounds like he could be a pretty good value. Lastly, you have Mitchell further down than I have seen. This attributed to the diabetes? The in-game power profile? Or both? Bonus question. Where do you think Ginn goes and do you think he signs?

I'm probably light on Gonzales though some teams are concerned about his poor showing against Texas A&M. He could easily go to the Royals at 4 then Veen would slide to the Pirates at 7 which would be a dream scenario for them. Toronto is said to be on college arms so it's either Hancock or Meyer and I can't see Dipoto passing on Detmers. I don't see a fit with the Padres or Rockies so I put him with the Angels at 10.

Jarvis is a big time spin rate/efficiency guy so I'm guessing Kyle Boddy is pounding the table for him. We'll see how big a voice he has. Guys are just sitting around watching video and his video is really good so I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in that range.

Loftin is an interesting player. He's a college SS who will stay at the position and has excellent bat to ball skills. He showed some added juice this spring which will push him up the board especially in this draft where I think teams are going to shy away from high schoolers.

Mitchell is a total wild card for the reasons you stated though I think the lack of power may be a bigger factor than the diabetes. He has the big tools teams pay for at the top of the draft but he's a college guy who didn't show them often enough. It's just really hard to determine what type of player you're getting here.

Yes I think Ginn is drafted and signs. I think he's another comp round guy. I guess there's a possibility the Dodgers try again but that just doesn't seem like their style.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Kiley McDaniel released his latest mock with intel on all teams: https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/29216982/kiley-mcdaniel-2020-mlb-mock-draft-20

He has Patrick Bailey to the Sox again. I will say this about it: I know that the Sox and Bailey's camp have talked money. 

11. Chicago White Sox: Patrick Bailey, C, North Carolina State

Chicago is looking for college bats, and Bailey fits this pick very well in terms of value and the White Sox's system. It's a common connection in the industry.

This is probably the pick that I'd be least excited about.  It may be the most sensible (read: safest, and very White Sox) pick though.

• Like 1