2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

Another side thought, how many guys are seeing the Oakland As right now knowing that they will only get 20k offers in 2 weeks and thinking that there is no way in hell they will sign with them, versus a franchise like the White Sox who are going to keep paying their guys.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Another side thought, how many guys are seeing the Oakland As right now knowing that they will only get 20k offers in 2 weeks and thinking that there is no way in hell they will sign with them, versus a franchise like the White Sox who are going to keep paying their guys.

Yeah it's really ugly. What Oakland is doing sucks but this thing has been reported incorrectly because lots of things are being reported incorrectly. Manfred froze the Uniform Player Contract for minor league players. It allows the Athletics to stop paying their minor leaguers. Reporters keep saying that they won't get paid for the rest of the season. That isn't necessarily true. If the league and players hammer out a deal and Manfred reinstates the UPC, then Oakland minor leaguers get paid again. It's still shitty for sure but at least those are the facts of the matter. 

1 hour ago, sox71 said:

It sure seems that Bailey is the pick.  

They've met with him over Zoom and even talked money with his representation. If it's out there this much though, I'd bet on them going a different direction. 

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Probably torkelson because he will go 1 and vaughn was 3. Longenhagen said vaughn has better contact ability and plate discipline though while torkelson clearly has more raw power.

Vaughn has the better hit tool but Torkelson has more raw power and in game power. Torkelson is the better prospect but they'll both be the #1 and #2 1B prospects in the game 

Longenhagan mock. Bailey goes before 11. More college bat suggestions.

11. Chicago White Sox- Garrett Mitchell, CF, UCLA

The White Sox’s new scouting director, Mike Shirley, is an internal hire, so most other teams expect the team to stay the course with college players at the top of the draft. In this range that means Bailey, Kjerstad, and Mitchell.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-mock-draft-mach-one/

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Baseball America updated their mock draft today. They have Patrick Bailey but they linked the White Sox to Tyler Soderstrom which is the first it's been mentioned publicly. 

Publicly?

How much smoke we talking?

BA mock. 1 to 11 below.

1.) DET - Torkelson

2.) BAL - Martin

3.) MIA - Lacy

4.) KC - Veen

5.) TOR - Gonzales

6.) SEA - Meyer

7.) PIT - Hancock

8.) SD - Hassell

9.) COL - Kjerstad

10.) ANA - Detmers

11.) CHW - Bailey

Notes:

The White Sox are one of several teams who have been linked to Soderstrom, the top catcher in the high school class. We have them instead going with Bailey, the top catcher in the class period. Like Kjerstad, Bailey is a player whose lengthy collegiate track record and experience with Team USA will be invaluable in the shortened 2020 format. He sounds like a lock to be off the board among the first 15 picks.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/mlb-mock-draft/

Edited by DirtySox

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Which almost makes me think Bailey is not the pick.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They've met with him over Zoom and even talked money with his representation. If it's out there this much though, I'd bet on them going a different direction. 

Exactly. I wouldn't mind a Bailey pick but the conspicuous smoke around it tells me it probably won't be happening

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

In light of financial struggles teams may be experiencing, is there any thought that some teams may pick a guy, lowball the offer in hopes of not signing him to save money and just push the pick to next year when things will (hopefully) be more certain and scouting could be done more thoroughly? 

Remember players are getting barely anything up front this year.  Most of the bonuses of size are deferred for the next two years.

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

BA mock. 1 to 11 below.

1.) DET - Torkelson

2.) BAL - Martin

3.) MIA - Lacy

4.) KC - Veen

5.) TOR - Gonzales

6.) SEA - Meyer

7.) PIT - Hancock

8.) SD - Hassell

9.) COL - Kjerstad

10.) ANA - Detmers

11.) CHW - Bailey

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/mlb-mock-draft/

I like being connected to soderstrom.

If Abel is there I'll be a bit downtrodden if not selected.

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah it's really ugly. What Oakland is doing sucks but this thing has been reported incorrectly because lots of things are being reported incorrectly. Manfred froze the Uniform Player Contract for minor league players. It allows the Athletics to stop paying their minor leaguers. Reporters keep saying that they won't get paid for the rest of the season. That isn't necessarily true. If the league and players hammer out a deal and Manfred reinstates the UPC, then Oakland minor leaguers get paid again. It's still shitty for sure but at least those are the facts of the matter. 

Vaughn has the better hit tool but Torkelson has more raw power and in game power. Torkelson is the better prospect but they'll both be the #1 and #2 1B prospects in the game 

I'm fine with having Vaughn. He probably is not going to hit 45 Homers but probably hits 290 with 30 bombs a year, a bit like Goldschmidt (albeit with less speed on the bases and a bit worse defensively).

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-mlb-draft-picking-all-29-first-rounders?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

8 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Their lastest mock has the Sox selecting Bailey, but notates that they're looking at the top high school hitters/pitchers as well. 

11. White Sox: Patrick Bailey, C, North Carolina State
The first round starts to get a lot murkier around here. Bailey keeps getting mentioned at No. 11 if none of the best college pitchers make it this far. The White Sox also are doing a lot of work on the top high school hitters (Hassell, Pennsylvania outfielder Austin Hendrick, Illinois shortstop Ed Howard, California catcher Tyler Soderstrom) and pitchers (Oregon's Mick Abel, Texas' Jared Kelley and Pennsylvania's Nick Bitsko, all right-handers).

57 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

The development of being in on prep bats and pitchers is much more interesting than what we've been hearing from the other mocks. I truly hope they go in this direction.

Ed Howard just seems like it should happen.