2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

You've mentioned quite a bit linking Kelley with the White Sox, but what about Abel? I think he's my preferred prep arm if they go that route.

I've never personally heard the connection. I knew they were all over Kelley. They could feel similarly or better about Abel I'm just not in tune to it. Callis linked them to all the preps and Shirley said they really like the HS pitching class on the call today. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They would be passing on too much talent to underslot Kelley.  The only guy I would consider an underslot deal with is Ed.  

An under-slot Ed Howard has been in the back of my mind for a while now. I figured we'd hear some rumblings of it at this point. I would be on board if this allots for some big value in subsequent rounds. 

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

An under-slot Ed Howard has been in the back of my mind for a while now. I figured we'd hear some rumblings of it at this point. I would be on board if this allots for some big value in subsequent rounds. 

Howards connections to the White Sox just seem like the really obvious thing to me, but I guess we will see.

4 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Why is he doing that? Even if he is sure to go to college why not just dangle a super high number out there and if you don't get it just don't sign? What can he gain by removing himself from the draft? He could also hint by his agent 3.5m or bust and if he doesn't get it just not sign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Law has his 3rd mock up. Sox selecting Detmers. Would love for that to happen!!! Also Chrochet not in the first round. 

Another year, another reason for me to hate the competitive balance rounds.

I’m becoming a huge fan of Hassell. Love his swing and has big time ceiling. Not sure he will be there with Rockies and Angels having interest. Would be very happy with Hassell selection. Does anyone know if the Sox have taken a liking to Hassell?

Edited by PolishPrince34

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

Another year, another reason for me to hate the competitive balance rounds.

If your owner is a cheapskate you should get a competitive balance pick.  It's funny how the Tigers get all these competitive balance picks but their owner was drafting players that fell, giving them MLB contracts, and handing out contracts larger than "recommended" bonuses.  The Tigers got good players even after the Sox with the Poreda over Porcello thing I mentioned earlier in this thread.  This garbage happened a lot.  Good for the Tigers and their fans, bad for the Sox fans.

I guess there's no Loser's Prize for us.  

14 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They would be passing on too much talent to underslot Kelley.  The only guy I would consider an underslot deal with is Ed.  

Is there any reason you don't like Kelley?  It sounds like he has big upside and is probably about where Kopech was as high schooler.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Law has his 3rd mock up. Sox selecting Detmers. Would love for that to happen!!! Also Chrochet not in the first round. Abel #7 to the Pirates hearing rumors they love him

I'm with Law on this one. If Detmers makes it to 11, he should be the pick. If not, I'd cut a deal with Howard (who seems destined for WS). I'm happy either way, especially if we can add a fireballer or two in 2-5.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

If your owner is a cheapskate you should get a competitive balance pick.  It's funny how the Tigers get all these competitive balance picks but their owner was drafting players that fell, giving them MLB contracts, and handing out contracts larger than "recommended" bonuses.  The Tigers got good players even after the Sox with the Poreda over Porcello thing I mentioned earlier in this thread.  This garbage happened a lot.  Good for the Tigers and their fans, bad for the Sox fans.

I guess there's no Loser's Prize for us.  

Dude. The Sox have been spending on drafts since Rodon, which was a year after the the competitive balance rounds got added.

If you're going to have a schtick, can you at least update it to the past decade and make it relevant?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Law has his 3rd mock up. Sox selecting Detmers. Would love for that to happen!!! Also Chrochet not in the first round. Abel #7 to the Pirates hearing rumors they love him

Deters pitched for my children's rival high school in Springfield, I would love for this to happen.  The last first round pick out of Detmers high school was Jayson Werth.   I would love the Sox to get Detmers.   

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Kopech was much more projectable.  Kelley has a maxed out body and maxed out stuff. 

Yea Kopech had a similar build to Abel coming out and he is the kid I want in this draft. 

55 minutes ago, Quin said:

Dude. The Sox have been spending on drafts since Rodon, which was a year after the the competitive balance rounds got added.

If you're going to have a schtick, can you at least update it to the past decade and make it relevant?

LOUDER FOR THE SOX FANS IN THE BACK

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Thank you.

3 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

He also mentioned that the Sox aren't necessarily "college or bust" with the pick, so there's a glimmer of hope on the HS front.