2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

14 hours ago, hi8is said:

Bitsko would be a fun pick to follow... highly doubtful for multiple reasons but still...

After watching the video, I'm with you. He is a kid to follow regardless of where he goes.

25 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Have the Sox taking Bailey again.

1.) DET - Torkelson

2.) BAL - Veen

3.) MIA - Lacy

4.) KC - Martin

5.) TOR - Hancock

6.) SEA - Meyer

7.) PIT - Gonzales

8.) SD - Bitsko

9.) COL - Detmers

10.) LAA - Kjerstad

11.) CHW - Bailey

Notes:

The frequency in which we’ve mocked Bailey to the White Sox likely overstates our confidence in this pick. However, he’s a great fit for this spot on the board and the White Sox have traditionally been heavy on college prospects. This would be the ninth straight college player Chicago has taken with its first-round pick.

Edited by DirtySox

Also on Veen going #2 overall from BA.

This is not our final mock draft. If it was, we’d likely have a different player mocked to the Orioles at No. 2. But we have heard significant buzz that the Orioles are considering cutting a deal with the No. 2 pick and then using the savings to get another top 20 talent with their second pick at No. 30. So we felt it was instructive to examine what such a move would do to the rest of the first round

I don't like Martin falling into KC's lap at all.

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Fegan said in his latest article that the Bailey love is overblown. I've heard the same FWIW. 

Wonderful. Thanks for all the information you share. It makes draft time so much more fun.

• Like 1

Law's mock up to 11.

1.) DET - Torkelson

2.) BAL - Martin

3.) MIA - Lacy

4.) KC - Veen

5.) TOR - Hancock

6.) SEA - Gonzales

7.) PIT - Abel

8.) SD - Meyer

9.) COL - Hassell

10.) LAA - Bailey

11.) CHW - Detmers

I have heard the White Sox aren’t wedded to taking a college player here, but it’s been ages since they went with a high school player in the first round — their organizational philosophy seems to be to take bigger risks when the opportunity cost is lower, which I understand completely — and Detmers does a lot of things they value in pitchers.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

Some more notes from Law's mock that stood out.

- BAL is considering an underslot deal with Kjerstad to go overslot at pick 30. But if the Tigers go rogue, they will take Tork.

- PIT has spent "a lot of time" on Abel and they don't want to go too safe with this pick.

- If SD takes Meyer, don't be surprised to see him pitch in the majors if there is a season.

- COL is on Hassell and Kjerstad and aren't keen on the arms that are around this pick range.

- LAA could still take Detmers, and that Pete Crow is a dark-horse candidate for this spot.

- Our boy Ed Howard goes to Arizona with pick 18. Teams in the 20's hope he falls to them but sources indicate he won't get out of the teens.

- Kelley goes to the Braves at pick 25.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Typical draft smokescreen?

I think they've met with a bunch of guys and the media caught wind. Big media types assumed they were going college because they always do. That's just not necessarily the case though. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think they've met with a bunch of guys and the media caught wind. Big media types assumed they were going college because they always do. That's just not necessarily the case though. 

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yeah, I am all on the Detmers train. He appears to have really good control and swing and miss stuff.  Plus he's a lefty.  GRANTED, I'm only looking at his stats loll

I'm not sure about him. He's another one of these minimal follow through guys who decelerates from rotation instead of trunk flexion. He's not as bad as Rodon but almost in the same category. He has a little trunk flexion but not enough.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I'm not sure about him. He's another one of these minimal follow through guys who decelerates from rotation instead of trunk flexion. He's not as bad as Rodon but almost in the same category. He has a little trunk flexion but not enough.

Detmers does not appear to have control issues correct?  Rodon always did right?  I could be mistaken.. Or is this synopsis more injury concerns?

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Also on Veen going #2 overall from BA.

I don't like Martin falling into KC's lap at all.

Elias and sig have done this a few times already with the Astros, for example 2012 when they got McCullers with their second pick or when they got bregman and tucker.

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Detmers does not appear to have control issues correct?  Rodon always did right?  I could be mistaken.. Or is this synopsis more injury concerns?

Sorry. These are injury concerns not control. I'm not sure about control issues. I believe Rondon did walk quite a few but that's purely a guess from memory.

• Like 1

Mayo mock. More Bailey. Zzz.

11. White Sox: Patrick Bailey, C, North Carolina State
High school names are coming up here, like Tyler Soderstrom from California or Pittsburgh area prepster Austin Hendrick, but I still keep coming back to the fact that they haven’t taken a high school player in the first round since 2013.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-3?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1