2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Sale was projected at #4, he fell to the Sox through luck.

Crochet is projected in the back half of the first.

I’ll say this for Crochet, Sale had a full solid junior year of starting and excelling. Crochet wasn’t giving that. With Detmers you are getting much more production to base stuff on.

• Thanks 1

What's more likely:

The Sox are able to help Detmers strengthen his arm and keep him healthy.

The Sox keep Crochet healthy, without having him sacrifice his MPH and quality of his stuff.

Also, who can learn a cutter easier.

Ultimately, that's something the pitching staff and medical staff will decide - and I think could be the deciding factor if both were on the board.

@bmags and I were on the Crochet train early this year. I'd still be very happy with that pick, I'd be a little (but not much) happier with Detmers.

What I can say is that if we were operating under old rules, Crochet would not be getting big money after his junior year, which you, Tim, have made very clear is your barometer for a successful draft strategy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

I think if it was the old system and both Sale and Crochet were INTL FAs from Latin America, they would both get really big bonuses because there would be teams not afraid to lose money when gambling on an arm even with injury fears.  Look at all the concerns about Tanaka and how much money was thrown at him.  But with draft picks teams are more afraid.  I think it's fear, not luck, and that if we are lucky, then we are lucky others were afraid.  At #13 we would have felt a lot less pressure.

If Law thinks a pitcher is a reliever, he won't rank them high.  He has a very different ranking with pitchers than other media outlets.  Same thing happened with Fulmer too.  

30 minutes ago, Quin said:

What's more likely:

The Sox are able to help Detmers strengthen his arm and keep him healthy.

The Sox keep Crochet healthy, without having him sacrifice his MPH and quality of his stuff.

Also, who can learn a cutter easier.

Ultimately, that's something the pitching staff and medical staff will decide - and I think could be the deciding factor if both were on the board.

@bmags and I were on the Crochet train early this year. I'd still be very happy with that pick, I'd be a little (but not much) happier with Detmers.

What I can say is that if we were operating under old rules, Crochet would not be getting big money after his junior year, which you, Tim, have made very clear is your barometer for a successful draft strategy.

Well, last few years have not been kind to the Sox arms. And we've seen what happens when guys have their mechanics thrown out of whack (Fulmer). Honestly feels like a coin toss. I would lean towards Detmers right now based on sample size right now, but I wouldn't be unhappy if Crochet ends up being the pick.

• Like 1

I heard (part of) an interview with Mick Abel today.  He seemed like a very impressive kid.  He was talking about his workouts during quarantine, seems like he is very into analytics, also sounds like he recently added (and sharpened) a curveball which he thinks will be a huge pitch for himself.  

It was on MLB Network Radio, again, very impressive.  Without ever having seen him pitch, but knowing a bit of his reputation and hearing his interview, I have to say, I'd be pretty happy if the Sox took him.

Edit:  If you are a Sirius subscriber, the show is available on demand, it is MLB Roundtrip with Perfect Game, from this afternoon.

Edited by turnin' two

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I heard (part of) an interview with Mick Abel today.  He seemed like a very impressive kid.  He was talking about his workouts during quarantine, seems like he is very into analytics, also sounds like he recently added (and sharpened) a curveball which he thinks will be a huge pitch for himself.  

It was on MLB Network Radio, again, very impressive.  Without ever having seen him pitch, but knowing a bit of his reputation and hearing his interview, I have to say, I'd be pretty happy if the Sox took him.

He is my guy. I'm hoping Sox go prep player anyways, but he is #1 on my list.

• Like 1

At 11 you are not getting the complete package anyway. With hitters you either have high ops college performers with position issues (burger, collins), polished hitters with limited upside or high potential hitters with swing, contact or chase issues.

And with pitchers you either get good stuff with injury or command issues or polished pitchers with less upside.

You have to pick one

44 minutes ago, fathom said:

So say the Sox get Howard for under-slot.  What type of guy could they go over-slot with in round 2?  Any chance they get someone like Walker, the hs 3rd baseman from Georgia?

I’m not sure Walker will be there at #47. Like the idea!!! Strength of the draft is pitching see the Sox doing something similar to last year. Kiley McDaniel has been reporting many clubs will be drafting seniors in 4th and 5th rounds to go after high school players. 

Edited by PolishPrince34
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, fathom said:

So say the Sox get Howard for under-slot.  What type of guy could they go over-slot with in round 2?  Any chance they get someone like Walker, the hs 3rd baseman from Georgia?

hmm scared of his fit with sox.

I feel like Jared Jones is that undersized righthander that tends to do well as a second rounder. But i'd like college pitching at that point and I guess if we get to order up I think McMahon or Mlodsinzki, but people will yell at me, so anyway i guess van eyk, shuster, cicconi.

Interesting notes from that mock.

- Howard is an option for the Angels at 10.

- Some think that Cavalli is in a tier of his own for pitching after Detmers.

- Crochet is falling because of both injury and makeup concerns.

- Kelley isn't in this mock.

Edited by DirtySox

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Jared Jones from La Marida CA is a name I’ve heard 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jared Jones from La Marida CA is a name I’ve heard 

Jared Jones

La Mirada (Calif.) HS RHP

Notes:

Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 180 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Texas
Age At Draft: 18.9

Scouts pegged Jones as a future first-round pick as a high school sophomore, and he’s done little to dissuade that notion. A three-time member of USA Baseball’s junior national teams, Jones is a twitchy, explosive athlete who stars both on the mound and in the outfield. His tremendous arm speed generates lively mid-to-upper 90s fastballs, and his elite athleticism has helped him make adjustments to his delivery and gradually improve his command and control. Jones dominates with his fastball, but he flashes a sharp, above-average slider in the mid-80s and is developing his changeup. Jones is slightly undersized and has an effortful delivery, leading some evaluators to project him to the bullpen. His improving command and elite competitiveness lead others to believe he can start. Jones is an above-average runner who gets excellent jumps in the outfield and makes jaw-dropping throws, earning 80 grades on his arm. He flashes big power at the plate, but he’s a free swinger who scouts aren’t sure will make enough contact against better pitching. Jones has strong baseball bloodlines in addition to his talent. His father, Keith, was a 1997 draft pick of the Diamondbacks and played two seasons in the minors. His cousins Randy and Ron Flores both pitched in the majors, and Randy is currently the Cardinals' scouting director. Jones made the right strides with his command this spring to remain a first-round talent as a pitcher. He is committed to Texas.

Edited by DirtySox

Law on Jones.

85. Jared Jones, RHP, La Mirada (Calif.) HS, Age: 18

Jones has been 92-96 mph as a starter with feel for a changeup, lacking a consistent breaking pitch and giving hitters a good enough look at the ball that his fastball has played down so far, even against high school competition. He also doesn’t have great feel to pitch yet, with an approach of throwing hard and harder, all pointing toward a possible relief future. He’s an above-average athlete with the physical ability to make adjustments given instruction, although it doesn’t help that he’ll be 19 in August.

Edited by DirtySox