2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I don't know if it's the low angle, but that might be biggest HS baseball player I've ever seen.

Looks massive, how don't I know the name?

For the record, CWS has taken some bug boys out of HS (Barnum, Zangari)

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's a beast.  He has a strong commitment to Ohio St so I'm not sure how signable he is but if there's a possibility he better be in the mix.  

100% baseball in college?

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Is this because someone ahead of us is taking Bailey?

The Sox were never taking Patrick Bailey. That was always nonsense. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

not gonna lie if their scouts feel like crochet was different this year...it's just a different draft.

I didn't get to see any of these guys. There's highlights and that's cool and all.

If the sox swing crochet and get a dynamite #2 that's interesting. Crochet is an insanely talented arm we know very little about. 

Abel didn't even pitch his senior year. Maybe he gets shelled! Bitsko people are going off his circuit when nobody was scouting him!

I'm just saying if they get swing crochet/howard or something it changes it.

I could very well see a situation where they felt very similar to a lot of these guys and felt like they could get 2 in the same tier with their budget.

That's the thing about Crochet. He's never thrown enough innings to prove to me that he's a starter long-term. He does have pretty electric shit though. There's a chance that had the season continued, he makes 10 starts and he's not even on the board. He's also likely underslot I'd think. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The latest update from Baseball America has the Sox taking Mick Abel. This would be awesome. 

This pick is tricky. Chicago has been connected to Tennessee LHP Garrett Crochet, Detmers and North Carolina State catcher Patrick Bailey—the typical collegiate suspects for the White Sox. However the noise with Mick Abel has been significant enough that we think it’s legit and with a new scouting director in Chicago there’s no guarantee the team continues to heavily target college players. Still, it’s worth noting that Mike Shirley has been with the club in a high-level role going back to 2010.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Abel definitely would be risky pick, there are so many failed first round HS pitchers. However of course this is also how you get a kershaw, greinke or Bumgarner (I think they all were drafted like in the 7-10 range overall of the draft) so if it works it also could be really good.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That's the thing about Crochet. He's never thrown enough innings to prove to me that he's a starter long-term. He does have pretty electric shit though. There's a chance that had the season continued, he makes 10 starts and he's not even on the board. He's also likely underslot I'd think. 

You think this is a reason why some teams might "punt" their first round pick, offering enough to gain the pick -1 next year, not wanting to draft someone who you haven't seen for the past 3 months?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

You think this is a reason why some teams might "punt" their first round pick, offering enough to gain the pick -1 next year, not wanting to draft someone who you haven't seen for the past 3 months?

I thought the only team that was rumored to be doing that was the Angels?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The latest update from Baseball America has the Sox taking Mick Abel. This would be awesome. 

This pick is tricky. Chicago has been connected to Tennessee LHP Garrett Crochet, Detmers and North Carolina State catcher Patrick Bailey—the typical collegiate suspects for the White Sox. However the noise with Mick Abel has been significant enough that we think it’s legit and with a new scouting director in Chicago there’s no guarantee the team continues to heavily target college players. Still, it’s worth noting that Mike Shirley has been with the club in a high-level role going back to 2010.

Are you hearing Crochet too?  WHAT"RE YOU HEARING! 

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Absolutely, but I still think intentional "punting" is bullshit and they shouldn't be awarded a pick next year.  Maybe CBA next year will change that?

I've come around on Crochet. I get it. If you hit on him, you could have a big payoff. If not, you are probably getting an impact reliever with that stupid fastball/slider combo anyways. That's nothing to sneeze at. Couple that with under-slot and some big value like Kelley with pick number 2, and I'm real happy.

• Like 4

Also regarding Crochet. I wouldn't be surprised (unless there are still injury concerns) if he pitches out of the bullpen this season if selected. Publications seem to think you are going to see some of the highly regarded college arms deployed in the pen during the shortened season. Max Meyer being the one that is mentioned most. Crochet has a similar profile and the stuff to pull it off.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Big, huge thing. His stuff is electric......There aren't many pitchers out there with 3 plus pitches, and he as a ++fastball and slider, along with a + change. In a normal year, he'd be long gone by the time the Sox are up. We should thank our fortune if he's there. 

If he doesn't start, you have your closer for the Sox window anyway. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Even if Crochet is "just" a RP he has a pretty good shot at being more of a difference maker on a playoff team with WS aspirations than a pitcher like Detmers does IMO.  And he's probably a better bet of working out at all than a HS pitcher in general.

Crochet, especially at underslot, would have me very excited.  If the Sox think he's a starter and they can keep him healthy, this is really a no-brainer to me.  Even if they think it's 50-50 he's a starter it's still a real good looking pick.

The idea of someone like Fulton being there in the second round is mouthwatering.  Kelley or Bitsko I think **have** to be gone by 47.  Maybe Fulton is still there though.

I couldn't be upset about Abel either.  Abel >>>>>> Detmers IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

One of my big questions I have with Crochet is how unsuccessful  he’s been with right handed hitters. That’s very troubling in his college career as a reliever. 

I don't see anything troubling at all. 

A Major League organization can develop players skills, not players talents or a pitchers stuff.  They can make some mechanical changes, etc. 

Sure he's not a finished product, but if the Sox especially feel he's a SP and not a reach at 11th overall then that means they believe they can put in the kind of work they are actually capable of doing, and that it will yield results.

I trust the Sox with pitchers in the exact opposite way I trust their view of position players especially hitters.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Also regarding Crochet. I wouldn't be surprised (unless there are still injury concerns) if he pitches out of the bullpen this season if selected. Publications seem to think you are going to see some of the highly regarded college arms deployed in the pen during the shortened season. Max Meyer being the one that is mentioned most. Crochet has a similar profile and the stuff to pull it off.

The injury stuff is being greatly exaggerated.  He has some soreness so Tennessee shut him down to protect him in his draft year.  That's what good college programs do.  If they knew the season was going to be 4 weeks long he would have pitched from the onset.  The only other injury was when he was hit in the face with a comebacker.  He was back on the mound in 2 weeks pitching with a plate in his broken jaw.  This is a tough kid.  He's also extremely smart.  He's a freakin nuclear engneering major.  I love everything about what they would be getting here. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The injury stuff is being greatly exaggerated.  He has some soreness so Tennessee shut him down to protect him in his draft year.  That's what good college programs do.  If they knew the season was going to be 4 weeks long he would have pitched from the onset.  The only other injury was when he was hit in the face with a comebacker.  He was back on the mound in 2 weeks pitching with a plate in his broken jaw.  This is a tough kid.  He's also extremely smart.  He's a freakin nuclear engneering major.  I love everything about what they would be getting here. 

Fine.. I will accept it.. But with the hope of underslot to push someone back to 47

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Crochet and Abel seem like the same thing but different ages.  

Not much data for either.  Maybe you go Crochet just because his arm has lasted a few more years?

Crochet is also a LHP. Big, huge massive difference. 

• Like 1