2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

It’s often so that other teams above you don’t get a pulse on your scouting, in fear that your desired player will be taken if your interest is well known.

If the Angels day knew we loved Abel say, they could be swayed by that to select him right before us.

Make sense?

That makes zero sense.

Abel isn't going to stick around very long.  If they want him and he's there they will take him.  If not, they won't.  

This type of thinking only has a place with regard to the kinds of players that people think will still be around later.

All you people who follow hitting mechanics etc.: what are the differences between Gordon Beckham and Nick Gonzales as prospects mechanically?  I don't know about hitting mechanics but I am concerned about other Beckhams popping up in our drafts and making our future miserable.

2 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

All you people who follow hitting mechanics etc.: what are the differences between Gordon Beckham and Nick Gonzales as prospects mechanically?  I don't know about hitting mechanics but I am concerned about other Beckhams popping up in our drafts and making our future miserable.

Whats with you having to compare all draft prospects to failed White Sox picks?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, fathom said:

rumor of Abel having a deal with Boston. Also Jones seems to have helium and could be the Cubs first pick.

https://www.prospectslive.com/mlb-draft/2020/6/8/live-rumor-updates-mlb-draft-day

From that link: "11:37 AM:. Hearing from multiple sources that Picks one, two, and three are set. Locked in are Tork 1.1 to Detroit, Martin 1.2 to Baltimore, and lefthander Asa Lacy to Miami at 1.3. This on the heels of this morning’s earlier report of a Martin+Bitsko combination at pick two and thirty."

Throws some cold water on people thinking we'll be able to grab Bitsko.

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Whats with you having to compare all draft prospects to failed White Sox picks?

Beckham's issues weren't remediable here.  He was what he was and he stayed as he was.  He couldn't hit the high fastball and that hitch stayed.  I asked a question about mechanics btw.

15 minutes ago, hi8is said:

It’s often so that other teams above you don’t get a pulse on your scouting, in fear that your desired player will be taken if your interest is well known.

If the Angels day knew we loved Abel say, they could be swayed by that to select him right before us.

Make sense?

Can't say I agree.  The teams picking before the Sox are going to do what they're going to do, and nothing the Sox say or do is going to have any impact on that.  The Sox saying they LOVE Crochet a few days before the draft isn't going to persuade the Padres to pick him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

Can't say I agree.  The teams picking before the Sox are going to do what they're going to do, and nothing the Sox say or do is going to have any impact on that.  The Sox saying they LOVE Crochet a few days before the draft isn't going to persuade the Padres to pick him. 

But it can bring Abel's value down

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

You underestimate AJ Preller's capacity to be a dick.

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

But it can bring Abel's value down

Abel has been mocked and discussed above 11 anyway.  I doubt the Sox would try to get him to go below slot.  His agent already knows his general value and has been talking to a lot of teams including probably at least a few ahead of the Sox.  He's going to be slot probably anywhere at 9 or 10 or lower, and maybe a bit above slot if he falls to like 15 or 16 (doubt it).

Edit: okay maybe not slot at 9 but still he's about slot where the Sox are.  I'm not sure they can do anything to Abel by talking about Crochet.  But talking about Crochet is something that Crochet's agent might do to try to put it in the minds of other teams that the Sox are trying to cut an underslot deal with him at 11.

Edited by HollywoodTim

23 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

That makes zero sense.

Abel isn't going to stick around very long.  If they want him and he's there they will take him.  If not, they won't.  

This type of thinking only has a place with regard to the kinds of players that people think will still be around later.

It was a hypothetical example to illustrate a concept since someone asked why teams create misdirection.

Why don’t you add to that discussion instead of sitting on a high horse?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

Beckham's issues weren't remediable here.  He was what he was and he stayed as he was.  He couldn't hit the high fastball and that hitch stayed.  I asked a question about mechanics btw.

Nick gonzalez swing imo is fantastic, Short swing, good plane. It reminds me a bit of trout with the rapid deceleration of the turn and steep bat angle (bathed pointing down which is the modern style swing)

Doesn't mean he will be great but the swing is really good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Nick gonzalez swing imo is fantastic, Short swing, good plane. It reminds me a bit of trout with the rapid deceleration of the turn and steep bat angle (bathed pointing down which is the modern style swing)

He's pretty little, but 12 HR in 16 games isn't shabby. I'd be happy to have him.

12 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Thank you.

What do you think about Austin Hendrick?  This is the guy who really intrigues me the most.  I really like everything I have read and love the longterm potential fit as an athletic LH slugger who can legitimately play the OF but I don't see others here mentioning him.