2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

27 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I love how people show the WAR leaderboard for RH 1st baseman drafted in first round, and say they're bad picks...

Or, maybe teams could have actually drafted the elite hitting 1st baseman? Teams missing and whiffing on the picks doesn't make the position a bad pick.

It is not just first round 1Bs but 1Bs in general. Only one full time 1B was in the top30 in war last year (alonso). You could count muncy as a second one but he only played a third of his game at first.

The bar to be a 5 war player as a 1b is super high, alonso hit 50 bombs and had 4.8 or so. 

If you are pujols or miggy that doesn't matter but few people are.

But in the last years I think a few more high performance 1bs were drafted high, probably because they are seen as a pretty safe bet for 2-3 war if they are a 120 wrc+ guy.

3 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

It is not just first round 1Bs but 1Bs in general. Only one full time 1B was in the top30 in war last year (alonso). You could count muncy as a second one but he only played a third of his game at first.

The bar to be a 5 war player as a 1b is super high, alonso hit 50 bombs and had 4.8 or so. 

If you are pujols or miggy that doesn't matter but few people are.

But in the last years I think a few more high performance 1bs were drafted high, probably because they are seen as a pretty safe bet for 2-3 war if they are a 120 wrc+ guy.

WAR has a 1B problem. The 1B penalty is just wrong.

For example; if you don't think Freddie Freeman is a top 30 player in baseball year in and year out, I have no idea what to tell you.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run