2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

What are the Sox biggest needs in terms of the system as a whole? Athletes, up the middle talent, lefties and starting pitching depth? Some influx of youth won’t be a bad idea either.

Im really like Detmers, Soderstrom and Howard but I’d prefer it if the Sox add a high impact prep bat in the first round. Howard naturally plays a premium position, while Soderstom has the better bat but might have to be moved from behind the plate. 

23 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

What are the Sox biggest needs in terms of the system as a whole? Athletes, up the middle talent, lefties and starting pitching depth? Some influx of youth won’t be a bad idea either.

Im really like Detmers, Soderstrom and Howard but I’d prefer it if the Sox add a high impact prep bat in the first round. Howard naturally plays a premium position, while Soderstom has the better bat but might have to be moved from behind the plate. 

You basically named them. The draft classes of 2016-2018 were very samey in getting unathletic college plodders. Last year + international helped, but really could get more youth, more athleticism. SS is bare. But ... also needs pitching depth. After stiever you go to the HSers.

24 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The recent history of super hard throwing high schoolers is not pretty.

Yeah, I'd say the injury rate is damn near 100%.

I still remember when the Marlins took Kolek.

Aiken 1 and Kolek 2. Two picks that show you how risky a high school starter is that early. In a draft that had Rodon (hurt as well, but at least made it), Schwarber, Turner, Conforto and Nola. 

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I'd say the injury rate is damn near 100%.

I still remember when the Marlins took Kolek.

Aiken 1 and Kolek 2. Two picks that show you how risky a high school starter is that early. In a draft that had Rodon (hurt as well, but at least made it), Schwarber, Turner, Conforto and Nola. 

The White Sox's rotation is going to contain Giolito (drafted out of high school), Dylan Cease (drafted out of high school), and eventually Michael Kopech (drafted out of high school). 

There might be some elbow work in there, but...

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox's rotation is going to contain Giolito (drafted out of high school), Dylan Cease (drafted out of high school), and eventually Michael Kopech (drafted out of high school). 

There might be some elbow work in there, but...

Yet high school pitchers are the most volatility and risky prospects in the game and it's not close. 

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yet high school pitchers are the most volatility and risky prospects in the game and it's not close. 

Taking them #1 - yeah I buy that as too high of a risk. Sitting at #11? Go for it. If there's a TJS in there, you still hope the player recovers.

• Like 1

High schooler pitchers I just want athleticism, athleticism, athleticism and spin rate. That’s more of the Mackenzie gore writeup. Kelly I worry about, it’s a writeup of hitting physical maturity earlier, I worry about usage and wear there.

I don’t know, not sold this is the right play for this draft but hard to know how it shakes out.