2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

Bryce Jarvis is a dude.  I didn't give his perfect game a few weeks ago enough respect as I thought it was just a one off against a bad team.  Uh-Uh.   He's worked his ass off and it shows cause he's got big time stuff and can really command it.  His change is plus plus. This guys in the mix now too.  

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Bryce Jarvis is a dude.  I didn't give his perfect game a few weeks ago enough respect as I thought it was just a one off against a bad team.  Uh-Uh.   He's worked his ass off and it shows cause he's got big time stuff and can really command it.  His change is plus plus. This guys in the mix now too.  

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Jarvis, Detmer, Lacy, Hancock, Meyer...holy shit. 

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Crochet threw today.  3.1 IP 2 H 0 ER 0 BB 6 K.  I haven't seen any velos but it's a great sign he came out throwing strikes. 

If he's still throwing hard, he's my guy at 11. 

I'd like them to take him and then go prep heavy the next few rounds. 

Next year go prep early.

• Like 2

Joe Boyle is a reliever from ND, he does have experience starting but he projects to be a reliever in the bigs. He was very loud stuff and I wouldn’t be mad if the Sox nabbed him in the first few rounds. 

9 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

You don’t think he’s a worth a pick in the top five rounds?

Top 5 Rounds definitely but Not top2.

Really in round 2 a reliever or bench bat is a good result and teams thus liked college relievers for a while because of this but then they found out college relievers do bust rather often so mlb reliever is like the absolute ceiling.

Most really good relievers in mlb have been drafted as starters so in the first two rounds I might take a guy with reliever risk (even then only if you don't pick top15) but you still want to have starter upside.

Now 4th or 5th round is a different story but first two rounds you want a guy who at least has like a 40% chance to start.

• Like 1

BA Draft Stock Watch for this week. Stop me if you've heard this before, but pitching. There's lots of it.

It's difficult to overstate the impressiveness of the depth of this year's pitching class.

Seemingly every week, there's another arm around the country trending up draft boards. Players are either coming out of the gate with improved stuff, showing better control than in previous years, or popping up entirely. There have been more pitchers described as second- or third-round talents this spring than the last several years.

“This is definitely a class that has separated itself in terms of the depth of arms,” said one American League scout. “I think from an area perspective you will see guys you were used to seeing go in the second round actually go in the fourth round … It’s just remarkable how loaded this class is in terms of arms.”

Some Dudes:

Ranked: Up Arrow Guys:

Garrett Crochet, LHP, Tennessee (No. 15)

Chris McMahon, RHP, Miami (No. 59)

Ian Seymour, LHP, Virginia Tech (No. 68)

Seth Lonsway, LHP, Ohio State (No. 156)

Unranked Risers/Pop-Up Guys:

Clayton Beeter, RHP, Texas Tech

Mason Erla, RHP, Michigan State

Landon Knack, RHP, East Tennessee State

Kyle Nicolas, RHP, Ball State

Adam Seminaris, LHP, Long Beach State

Nick Swiney, LHP, North Carolina State

Snippets on all those guys if you are a subscriber. Tons of content. Sharing some blurbs on Detmers/Jarvis who interest me.

Detmers:

Detmers was outstanding during his most recent start, on the road on a frigid Friday evening at Wake Forest. The lefthander struck out 15 hitters over six shutout innings while allowing just four hits (all singles) and two walks. The stats alone tell you that Detmers was dominant, but the way he deploys his arsenal makes him one of the best college arms in the country and should lead to him hearing his name called early in the first round.

Detmers worked with a full four-pitch complement on Friday, starting with a low-90s fastball and backing it up with a downer curveball, an excellent changeup and a short, sharp slider he used sparingly. Beyond its velocity, the fastball's signature component was its devastating two-seam movement. Detmers had tremendous command of the pitch and proved over and over again that he could bring it back over the outside corner against lefties or elevate it on the outside half against righties and let it explode out of the zone.

If Detmers had just the fastball and curveball, he'd be plenty effective. His changeup, however, made him nearly unhittable. Detmers threw the pitch with excellent conviction and plenty of separation from his fastball. Thrown against righties, the changeup allowed Detmers to control the lower half of the strike zone on the outside part of the plate. The equation of all three pitches meant he had weapons he could use to attack hitters up, down, in and out. More than that, he had the smarts to sequence his pitches in a way that kept Wake Forest’s hitters guessing—mostly incorrectly—all night long.

Jarvis:

Jarvis showed electric stuff across the board throughout his seven innings of work with a fastball that touched 96 in the first inning and sat in the 93-94 mph range for the duration of the night. He also showed two barrel-missing offspeed pitches in an 83-86 mph changeup and an 83-87 mph slider. 

His fastball and changeup were easy plus offerings in this outing, while his slider was perhaps a half-grade behind, more above-average but flashing plus potential as well. Jarvis recorded six whiffs with his fastball, six with his slider and eight with his changeup.

Jarvis has an average frame and pitches with a quick tempo out of a half wind up with a bit of effort and recoil at times in his delivery. He also has a bit of head whack—particularly on more high effort throws—but that didn’t affect his command in any way in this outing, as he landed all of his pitches consistently throughout. When he did miss with his changeup and slider, he missed down in the zone and was ahead of batters in the count enough that no damage came from the misses.

If he holds this stuff throughout the spring, it’s hard to not see Jarvis going on day one or soon on day two of the draft.

Edited by DirtySox