2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

8 hours ago, HollywoodTim said:

I wish we could trade picks.  They had better add that into the new CBA.  Imagine if we could get Crochet by trading down to like 20 and picking up a 3rd rounder or something.  Also imagine how much better the rebuild could have gone if we had been able to trade marginal role players like Xavier Cedeno etc. for like a 7th round pick and the bonus slot, which could then be used to  go over slot to buy some projected top-100 talent out of a college commitment.  Maybe trade 3 or 4 middle relief types and then sign all college seniors for the minimum and come away with an extra 2nd round or even high first pick or something.

That idea is probably worthy of its own thread.  Trading draft picks not allowed, presumably because MLB is afraid the smart, rich teams would take advantage of all the others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sox71 said:

Where there is smoke there is fire. Three prominent prognosticators all say Sox pick Bailey.  Not enamored at all with that. Get pitching. 

or there's very little new info out, and so there is a herd mentality. Sorry not buying at all the "sox need a catcher in their system" logic, and then backing into "sox always draft college".

There's little new info on players, there's no "tracking where the scouts are", so we are left with heuristics like that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you want HS players in this draft you have 5 chances to get one. That's it.

Could say the same about non-seniors in college, with an extra year of eligibility especially, I don't see many signing for $20K tops, same with HSers as you said

Whole format is a mess, but look forward to adding talent

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time we signed a HSer for $20,000? Ever? I remember a few years ago we signed HSers for like $50K

I assume the whole UDFA process will realistically be a lot of senior sign guys that typically go in rounds 5-10 to keep the Cap on bonuses down, but really don't know what to expect

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Could say the same about non-seniors in college, with an extra year of eligibility especially, I don't see many signing for $20K tops, same with HSers as you said

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time we signed a HSer for $20,000? Ever? I remember a few years ago we signed HSers for like $50K

I assume the whole UDFA process will realistically be a lot of senior sign guys that typically go in rounds 5-10 to keep the Cap on bonuses down, but really don't know what to expect

Juniors lose all leverage though.  When they are seniors they can't go back to school.  At least the HS kids have college options.  You might get some juniors for 20k, you aren't getting ANY HS kids for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sox71 said:

Where there is smoke there is fire. Three prominent prognosticators all say Sox pick Bailey.  Not enamored at all with that. Get pitching. 

There really isn't though. All three publications are guessing based on history of taking college guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I think lots of juniors will sign for $20K. They could go back and still technically be juniors but they lose lots of leverage being 1 year older. It's a 20 round draft next year but they could fill the 20 rounds without those juniors so they're competing to get selected again next year. Some guys may decide to just take the $20K and get into an organization if presented with that opportunity. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There really isn't though. All three publications are guessing based on history of taking college guys. 

I trust your scoops of who the Sox actually like more than just guessing they could want a college catcher.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I trust your scoops of who the Sox actually like more than just guessing they could want a college catcher.  

I think they'd probably take Detmers or Meyer if they fell to them. I'd be pretty surprised if they took a college hitter though. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think they'd probably take Detmers or Meyer if they fell to them. I'd be pretty surprised if they took a college hitter though. 

I think I'm in the camp of hoping one of that tier of college pitchers falls to 11. Reading Law's chat today though sure makes it sound like teams want to take the "certain" assets (college arms/bats) though.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

18 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think I'm in the camp of hoping one of that tier of college pitchers falls to 11. Reading Law's chat today though sure makes it sound like teams want to take the "certain" assets (college arms/bats) though.

Based on my (admittedly little) research, this is what I'm hoping for.

5 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Seniors are granted an extra year so they do have an option this year if they aren't drafted. They may be a year older but it wont make much difference since no one is getting developmental time this year. The only issue will be if the coach has the scholarship money for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think lots of juniors will sign for $20K. They could go back and still technically be juniors but they lose lots of leverage being 1 year older. It's a 20 round draft next year but they could fill the 20 rounds without those juniors so they're competing to get selected again next year. Some guys may decide to just take the $20K and get into an organization if presented with that opportunity. 

Seniors have less leverage but the very top ones still get paid decently. Mark Appel still got 6m after going back to school after his jr year.

Sure they lose some leverage but a 1M talent going in the 6th round would still get like 500k next year as a senior in a 20 round draft.

The reason seniors don't get paid is partially the leverage but also that most of them are just not really good because if they could have gotten 500k after jr year they would have taken it.

Here are some seniors who got decent bonuses:

-mark appel 6M

-kyle funkhouser 750k

-andrew Suarez 1m

Edited by Dominikk85

I'm not sure there will as many $20K signings as people think.  When MLB eliminates the minor league affiliates they will cap how many players an organization can have in the minors because they don't want teams just adding more AZL/GCL teams. That means there's a chance if a team signs a free agent they will have to release a player already in the organization.   A team will do that for a guy they really like but not just to take a $20k flyer.  Add to that the fact that owners are trying to save every penny they can and these guys probably won't even play this year I don't see a lot of FA action happening. 

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm not sure there will as many $20K signings as people think.  When MLB eliminates the minor league affiliates they will cap how many players an organization can have in the minors because they don't want teams just adding more AZL/GCL teams. That means there's a chance if a team signs a free agent they will have to release a player already in the organization.   A team will do that for a guy they really like but not just to take a $20k flyer.  Add to that the fact that owners are trying to save every penny they can and these guys probably won't even play this year I don't see a lot of FA action happening. 

I dont think there will be a cap on the number of players a team can have in their system. They'll let the ones who want more AZL/GCL teams have them. They just wont require every team to 5 MiLB affiliates. 

5 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Seniors have less leverage but the very top ones still get paid decently. Mark Appel still got 6m after going back to school after his jr year.

Sure they lose some leverage but a 1M talent going in the 6th round would still get like 500k next year as a senior in a 20 round draft.

The reason seniors don't get paid is partially the leverage but also that most of them are just not really good because if they could have gotten 500k after jr year they would have taken it.

Here are some seniors who got decent bonuses:

-mark appel 6M

-kyle funkhouser 750k

-andrew Suarez 1m

Most seniors will just take the $20K. Going back for a 5th year doesn't make a ton of sense. These college coaches have juniors that will stay and they have HS kids joining the team. 

36 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Most seniors will just take the $20K. Going back for a 5th year doesn't make a ton of sense. These college coaches have juniors that will stay and they have HS kids joining the team. 

Seniors won't get the 20k for the most part. They will be the ones getting the $5000.

I think I would really like to see the White Sox get creative and try to nab an injured JT Ginn with a second round pick. Perhaps underslot a prep arm/Howard to free up some money for it. I'm normally more risk-averse, but I really love Ginn, and the fallback of a compensatory pick the following year if you don't sign him makes it an easier pill to swallow. Alas, this is more of a Washington Nationals move than a Chicago one.

• Like 1