2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

21 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Listening to Longenhagen on Fegan's podcast. Some notes.

- White Sox are in a good position to pounce on a college player that they didn't expect to be there if a team or two ahead of them does something weird. Notes Kjerstad and Detmers specifically as players that could fall into their lap. Says the Pirates are a team with a whole lot of uncertainty on their selection which could be the lynchpin to this scenario.

- Eric says he does see a possibility of the White Sox going away from the general tendencies of past drafts. But mentions it being in a similar way to last year where you get the certainty with the number one pick (Vaughn), than diversifying into the prep pool immediately after (Dalquist/Thompson). Also mentions the same Law sentiment of going risky in a spot where the opportunity cost is less.

- Notes that there are a few teams in the top ten who believe that Ed Howard has the biggest upside in the draft. Says Ed Howard at 11 would be a fine pick, and that's about where he has him on his personal board.

- Says that White Sox approach of college players early is fine, but they have been getting alot of corner guys and not much up the middle players.

- Notes that he is hearing lots of scuttlebutt on teams taking college seniors in rounds 4 and 5 at 20K to 30K in order to be able to sign prep players in rounds 2 and 3.

- Doesn't mention any of the prep bats we've been talking about.

- Mock on Monday.

1 hour ago, timbo8 said:

who in favor of drafting ed howard

Not against it...Top HSer I'd want

Prefer Kjerstad, Detmers at 11

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

This has caused me to re-evaluate a lot. Crazy draft. CrowArmstrongs writeup is very exciting. Soderstroms pushes me off. I knew he was off C long term, did not realize how one dimensional he was and without realized power.

tough draft at 11 but just because a hard to figure out heirarchy having seen so few play. 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

This has caused me to re-evaluate a lot. Crazy draft. CrowArmstrongs writeup is very exciting. Soderstroms pushes me off. I knew he was off C long term, did not realize how one dimensional he was and without realized power.

tough draft at 11 but just because a hard to figure out heirarchy having seen so few play. 

Yea. I didn't expect to see PCA at 10. I also didn't expect to see Wilcox at 14. I think I've really come around on Cavalli as well. Wouldn't have a problem with him as the pick.

Edited by DirtySox

Law's top 15.

1.) Austin Martin

2.) Spencer Torkelson

3.) Asa Lacy

4.) Max Meyer

5.) Zac Veen

6.) Hancock

7.) Nick Gonzales

8.) Detmers

9.) Hassell

10.) PCA

11.) Kjerstad

12.) Mitchell

13.) Cavalli

14.) Wilcox

15.) Howard

Edited by DirtySox

Will share some bits and pieces I think interesting from Law's write-ups.

- Says if Max Meyer was a few inches taller, he'd be in the 1-1 mix. Has the fallback of a 2-3 WAR reliever if he can't start.

- PCA has a future 70 glove in CF. 60 grade runner with a plus arm. More swing and miss than you want as a prep, but with a possible 60 bat and 50 power he has a star ceiling.

- Hassell's swing rivals Veen's as best in the draft. Many teams view him as the best hitter in the class. Should be at least a 55 defender in right. High average line drive hitter with possible 20 HR power down the road.

- Detmers has three 50-55 grade pitches. Taking some risk with the average fastball which could slip pitching every 5th day instead of every 7th. The command and pitch mix gives him mid rotation upside.

- Calls Cavalli the clear top guy in the second tier of college pitchers. Says he gives up more contact than he should based on his profile and teams can't figure out why. Has the weapons to be a number 2 starter.

- Wilcox has number 1 or 2 starter upside but will need a fair amount of development to reach that. Current state projects as a number 4 with potential.

- "Bailey is seen as a bat first catcher who's good enough to stay at the position but not more than that on defense."

- Soderstrom ranked 25th. All bat, little chance to stay at catcher. Will have to change something mechanically to get to his power. Will likely start his pro career at 3B.

- Kelley ranked 31st. Prototypical Texas prep pitcher. Needs to find a consistent breaking ball and to work on his conditioning. Profiles as a mid rotation guy.

- Crochet is a wildcard and ranked 39th. 70 grade slider but substantial reliever risk. One of the best pure arms in the class and someone will probably take him in the 1st round.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

Honestly not a big fan of the hassel profile (advanced HS bat with good swing but RF profile but ok but not plus power).

Sure that player could work but even an advanced HS bat is still more risky than a college bat and if you dont get the extra tools why take that risk? I mean if the bat takes a little step back there is not much left (see Mickey moniak who was exactly that type).

Not saying there is no ceiling but the bat is the most volatile thing to project from HS guy and corner profile combined with ok but not special pop is not enough for me, I can get that safer from a college bat.

I would prefer either a clear up the middle profile or potential plus power from a HS guy.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 1

Based on absolutely nothing at all, I say the Sox end up drafting Detmers or Howard if the former is not available.  Jimmy seems to be implying they will go prep and taking one in the 1st (assuming Detmers is gone) is the next obvious step in a more aggressive approach to the draft that we’ve slowly seen take place over the last handful of years.  And while you never draft for need, the system definitely needs more up the middle talent.

The only prep player I want the Sox not to pick is Soderstrom. I’m tired of Wasting high draft picks that are very questionable with their defense position and being able to handle it ( Collins, Burger, Sheets) When in doubt go up the middle. That is an interesting concern Law brings up Detmers about Pitching every 5th day. You hope it wouldn’t be the case due to his size, but if he loses a little velocity- Big mistake

Edited by PolishPrince34
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

The only prep player I want the Sox not to pick is Soderstrom. I’m tired of Wasting high draft picks that are very questionable with their defense position and being able to handle it ( Collins, Burger, Sheets) When in doubt go up the middle. That is an interesting concern Law brings up Detmers about Pitching every 5th day. You hope it wouldn’t be the case due to his size, but if he loses a little velocity- Big mistake

Honestly, I might be a bit biased but I'd draft Crochet over Detmers. The only thing that could derail Crochet from being at least a lights out closer is injury. There's a decent amount of risk there but if he hits you have a bonafide ace. 

Detmers has floor issues. If his curveball is only a 55, if he backs up at all with the fastball he's a flop. 

I think whomever passes on Crochet will regret it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Love Hassell’s swing and hands are quick. I definitely see at least average power or more  in the future and will fill out his 6-2 Eighteen year old frame. Already brings great hand eye coordination and consistently makes solid barrel contact. If going the high school route Hassell is my guy. Followed by Howard, PCA, Hendricks, Abel, and Bitsko. 

3 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Soderstrom is nothing like those guys. I'd move him from catcher because keeping him there is a waste of time. You're buying the bat. He can play 3B or OF. That's much different than Collins. 

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Honestly, I might be a bit biased but I'd draft Crochet over Detmers. The only thing that could derail Crochet from being at least a lights out closer is injury. There's a decent amount of risk there but if he hits you have a bonafide ace. 

Detmers has floor issues. If his curveball is only a 55, if he backs up at all with the fastball he's a flop. 

I think whomever passes on Crochet will regret it. 

Crochet is super risky. I'm just not sure he's a starter. THere's no evidence that he is. Detmers curveball isn't a 55. It's closer to being 70 than 55. 

25 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Soderstrom is nothing like those guys. I'd move him from catcher because keeping him there is a waste of time. You're buying the bat. He can play 3B or OF. That's much different than Collins. 

Crochet is super risky. I'm just not sure he's a starter. THere's no evidence that he is. Detmers curveball isn't a 55. It's closer to being 70 than 55. 

23 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Detmers might have the best curveball in the entire draft!!!

Detmers curveball looks to be the best SO pitch in this draft and among the best I've seen. The guy struck out better than 2 batters per inning this year. Plus he's young and who's to say he can't add a couple ticks to his fastball. If he can get his heater up to mid-90s, he is a 1/2 rotation piece...might be anyway.

2 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Detmers might have the best curveball in the entire draft!!!

Keith Law just gave it a 50-55. 

8. Reid Detmers, LHP, Louisville, Age: 20

Detmers is the most polished pitcher in the draft class, with plus command and three 50 to 55-grade pitches, enough that since the start of spring 2019 he’s struck out 215 batters in 135 innings with 39 walks. Detmers has a very easy, low-effort delivery, which may explain why his command is so advanced, and he’s shown he can work all around the zone with his 88-93 mph fastball, tight-breaking curveball and solid-average changeup. He earns some comparisons to Brendan McKay, also of Louisville, but they’re quite different — McKay had more power and a better changeup, Detmers has better present command at the same age and an even easier delivery. You’re taking some risk with the average fastball, which could slip a little when he’s pitching every fifth day rather than every seventh, but the command and pitch mix gives him mid-rotation upside.

Edited by Jack Parkman