2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

1 hour ago, bmags said:

That's one thing from listening to Shirley talk, i'd have been surprised if at the end of this...albeit very limited draft, if the sox didn't land athletes.

Which is something that they desperately need to add into the system 

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

If CWS goes HSer I want Howard

If CWS goes college bat I want Kjerstad

If CWS goes college arm I want Detmers/Meyer

Would love Kevin Abel and Blaze Jordan at some point as well

There are so many other guys I would want over Blaze Jordan. Enough one dimensional corner profiles.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

New BA mock. A not Bailey sighting!

Mick Abel

Jesuit HS, Portland, Ore.RHP

Notes:

Abel is getting plenty of interest in the 7-14 range, and is becoming the favorite to be the first prep righthander off the board. He has a real chance to sneak into the top 10, and we’re hearing the White Sox might be one of the teams just outside that range who’s intrigued with his upside. This would certainly be a departure from Chicago’s typical tendency, as they’ve gone with a college player with their last seven first round picks and haven’t drafted a high school righthander in the first since 2001 (Kris Honel). However it’s worth noting that the White Sox took prep arms with their second and third round picks in 2019 (and a high school outfielder in the fourth round). We’ve also heard the White Sox are interested in Garrett Crochet.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/mlb-mock-draft/

Edited by DirtySox

Top 11 from BA's newest mock.

1.) DET - Torkelson

2.) BAL - Martin

3.) MIA - Lacy

4.) KC - Veen

5.) TOR - Meyer

6.) SEA - Gonzales

7.) PIT - Hancock

8.) SD - Hassell

9.) COL - Kjerstad

10.) LAA - Detmers

11.) CHW - Abel

Edited by DirtySox

2 hours ago, bmags said:

That's one thing from listening to Shirley talk, i'd have been surprised if at the end of this...albeit very limited draft, if the sox didn't land athletes.

Swinging back to the Jared Mitchell and Courtney Hawkins  philosophy?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think it was Jones who had a makeup issue at the Area Code games or maybe it was Mayson Winn.  I get those two confused.  

Law's list noted that Winn was sent home early last summer from MLB's PDP league. His write-up is fun though.

47. Masyn Winn, RHP/SS, Kingwood (TX) HS

Winn is a sub-six-foot right-hander with premium stuff on the mound, touching the upper 90s in short outings, with enough effort that his head is looking away from the plate at release. I think he might be a better prospect as a hitter, as he has lightning in his hands at the plate with good loft in his finish. If he hits at all he’s going to come into power. He obviously has the arm for the left side of the infield, and if he has to move off shortstop he’d be fine at third. He might be a first-rounder this year if he were taller or if teams didn’t have concerns about him after he was sent home early from MLB’s PDP league last summer. The combination of bat speed, athleticism and arm strength is going to be hard for teams to pass up.

Edited by DirtySox

If they go position player, based on the write-ups, I hope for Austin Hendrick.

As a SP there are several options.  I want ceiling.  

My over-the-moon draft would be Hendrick and Crochet falling to 47 (no way that is happening).  

If the Sox should have tried like hell (earlier before transactions were frozen) to get #31 from cheapass Pitsburgh, #35 from Colorado for a bad RP contract, or #36 from cheapass Cleveland who is not afraid to dump salary on is.  I really hope in the future they work hard to trade for those Comp Balance picks.  We've never even done that yet.  

23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Swinging back to the Jared Mitchell and Courtney Hawkins  philosophy?

Thank you!  You can draft athletes all day long but it does your organization no good if They're not baseball prospects. There were a few more names from around then you could have used as examples too. Keenyn Walker

Edited by smellysox

37 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Thank you!  You can draft athletes all day long but it does your organization no good if They're not baseball prospects. There were a few more names from around then you could have used as examples too. Keenyn Walker

Trayce Thompson 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, smellysox said:

To be honest it wasnt a knock on drafting athletes. More of a commentary on how the Sox draft athletes, people complain about busts. The Sox draft more baseball players and people complain about low ceiling. Both philosophies have good and bad. I just wish the Sox would get the right one a little more often regardless of philosphy.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

To be honest it wasnt a knock on drafting athletes. More of a commentary on how the Sox draft athletes, people complain about busts. The Sox draft more baseball players and people complain about low ceiling. Both philosophies have good and bad. I just wish the Sox would get the right one a little more often regardless of philosphy.

Yes. I agree with everything you just said. And I am definitely not anti athlete when it comes to the Sox draft philosophy.  I'm just reminding everyone that that also could be a dangerous road to travel.

2 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

If CWS goes HSer I want Howard

If CWS goes college bat I want Kjerstad

If CWS goes college arm I want Detmers/Meyer

Would love Kevin Abel and Blaze Jordan at some point as well

Meyer would be great but there is really almost no chance he is around back then, his floor is probably 7 or 8 and more likely 5 or 6. 

If he falls to 11 he would be a no brainer over everyone left at this spot (assuming Tork, lacy, Martin, Gonzalez and veen are gone).

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m good with any of the 3. My dream is Howard big under-slot and then someone like Kelley in 2nd.  

Yeah let’s do everyone’s “dream won’t happen” scenario. 
option 1: take 1 guy underslot and you can take anyone that has been in a recent mock past 20

option 2: unlikely fall - anyone mocked 5 or later at 11, and a dream realistic 2nd rounder

My dream underslot over slot is 11 with Howard then 2nd round with Bitsko

option 2 is Meyer then Jared Jones/Wynn.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah let’s do everyone’s “dream won’t happen” scenario. 
option 1: take 1 guy underslot and you can take anyone that has been in a recent mock past 20

option 2: unlikely fall - anyone mocked 5 or later at 11, and a dream realistic 2nd rounder

My dream underslot over slot is 11 with Howard then 2nd round with Bitsko

option 2 is Meyer then Jared Jones/Wynn.

I like your option 1. But I really like your option 2. That's some talent there.