2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

If the Sox pass on Ed Howard they will regret it. That is all.

They should know his strengths and weaknesses better than anyone. If they pass on him, I trust their evaluations.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you don't sign a player, you lose that draft slot's assigned pick value from your pool.  

You lose the money in the current year, yes. Angels would offer Drew Bowser 40% of the slot at #10. He turns it down. They will draft players in rounds 3-5 for those slots and they'll get the 11th pick in the first round next year for not signing Bowser. They don't have a 2nd rounder due to signing Rendon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Would the scout for dalquist be the scout for Abel?

edit well nvm Y2Jimmy spilled ze beans already

I'm not sure if that's the same area scout or not. I've heard about interest in Jared Jones though and that's definitely the same area. 

Since we are talking Abel his morning, this is from BA's draft chat.

Drew (Denver): In your opinion, would you rather have Abel or Bitsko? Who do you think has the higher floor/ceiling? Hoping Boston can get one of them.

J.J. Cooper: Abel has a lot of the attributes I love to see in a high school pitcher. He's a pitcher who keeps developing velocity with an already demonstrated ability to refine his pitches and a demonstrable work-ethic as a gym-rat (is facility-rat a more accurate term nowadays). I know the track record on HS RHPs in the first round is bad, but if you're going to take one, where teams have gotten into trouble is drafting for present velocity more than projection/pitchability/athleticism. Abel has all three of those attributes (and yes, he does have present velo too).

Edited by DirtySox

8 hours ago, TomPickle said:

Just like Alek Thomas!

That was actually an unfortunate situation. The Sox are usually blasted for picks like that(children of team employees), so it was the wish of both father and son that he be allowed to pursue his pro career elsewhere. Props to Jerry/Kenny/Rick for respecting their wishes even though he's a good prospect. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
clarification

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Didn’t Jimmy say it’s someone ranked in the 60’s per MLBPipeline?  If so, PCA wouldn’t qualify.

I thought the 60’s ranked guy was a guess for who the Angels will punt. 

The PCA guess that you quoted was for a Jimmy tweet about the Sox being linked to a prep name recently. 

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Jared Mitchell was a Jake Burger-type situation. He had a devastating injury that killed 18 months of development and sapped his speed. I truly believe that had he not been injured, he'd have had a Mike Cameron type offensive profile with more speed. Obv. Not as good of a defender, but similar offense. 

I disagree. The guy couldn't make contact. That has nothing to do with his speed. He was Courtney Hawkins, not Mike Cameron. Good in rookie ball although a ton of ks. Then the lack of contact catches up to him.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I disagree. The guy couldn't make contact. That has nothing to do with his speed. He was Courtney Hawkins, not Mike Cameron. Good in rookie ball although a ton of ks. Then the lack of contact catches up to him.

We'll never know. We can only speculate how his hit tool would have developed had he not had the injury. 

I get that 2009 was the trout year and was a particularly loaded draft, but I can't believe how snake-bitten people still are of a 23rd overall pick now eleven drafts ago. Going for an athletic, upside college outfielder is not the worst idea in the world there. Fulmer is 10x the bust yet doesn't seem to embody the short right hander the way that jared mitchell is a cautionary tale for all athletes.

And to be real, that draft had terrible picks round by round. Trayce Thompson is sandwiched between Nolan Arenado (2 picks) and Jason Kipnis. David Holmberg is picked before DJ Lemahieu, Corbin and Kyle Seager.

This is the draft the cardinals drafted like 15 starters. I say no big ten catchers ever! No whatever David Holmberg was!

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

I get that 2009 was the trout year and was a particularly loaded draft, but I can't believe how snake-bitten people still are of a 23rd overall pick now eleven drafts ago. Going for an athletic, upside college outfielder is not the worst idea in the world there. Fulmer is 10x the bust yet doesn't seem to embody the short right hander the way that jared mitchell is a cautionary tale for all athletes.

And to be real, that draft had terrible picks round by round. Trayce Thompson is sandwiched between Nolan Arenado (2 picks) and Jason Kipnis. David Holmberg is picked before DJ Lemahieu, Corbin and Kyle Seager.

This is the draft the cardinals drafted like 15 starters. I say no big ten catchers ever! No whatever David Holmberg was!

I think too many get caught up in philosophy and not BPA. But when the draft is such a crapshoot people try narrow it down somehow.