2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

1 minute ago, HollywoodTim said:

Do you remember what your thoughts at the time were on Chris Sale, Carlos Rodon, and Brady AIken?  Obviously we all know how they have turned out.  Aiken was supposedly the safest given the mileage on Rodon's arm yet he's an unquestionable bust.  And Sale had one of the best runs of any pitcher in MLB history before TJ, and there really isn't any reason to believe he's done.

Rodon hasn't been a hit...

Rodon has been a quality MLB pitcher when on the mound.

I would say that the safety concerns pre-draft were probably Aiken > Rodon > Sale, but it's turned out that Sale is by far the healthiest and best, then Rodon who still has been good, and then Aiken as an absolute bust after.

I think if the Sox want Crochet then it means they are very comfortable with the risks.  If they are comfortable then I am comfortable.

9 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

Do you remember what your thoughts at the time were on Chris Sale, Carlos Rodon, and Brady AIken?  Obviously we all know how they have turned out.  Aiken was supposedly the safest given the mileage on Rodon's arm yet he's an unquestionable bust.  And Sale had one of the best runs of any pitcher in MLB history before TJ, and there really isn't any reason to believe he's done.

Sale I really didn't pay much attention to at the draft. In the MLB, the white sox really tried to dial back the "throw hard all the time" because of his elbow issues so I always thought he would have shoulder issues as he aged. when he went to Boston and they turned him loose the elbow went.

Rodon, I said from when they drafted him he was going to have injury and control issues due to his straight up motion and lack of trunk flexion on follow through.

Aiken was a wild card once they did the MRI pre-draft and found he had the abnormal UCL. It was almost guaranteed he was going to issues. It was just a question on how he would do after surgery.

I want Ed Howard and I couldn't care less if it's considered a reach; Howard is going to be a super star in the major leagues. There's so much risk to drafting a northern high schooler this year - they're so far behind on reps with the corona hurting even more - but Howard has been the guy at every level and is dedicated and will be a star. I'm all in, but the Sox will pass I'm sure and go with a pitcher who likely profiles as a reliever. Jaysus.

Edit: Howard has been the best short stop in the country for his age group for 10 years it feels like. The Kid has not peaked in anyway, and is only getting stronger. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Sale I really didn't pay much attention to at the draft. In the MLB, the white sox really tried to dial back the "throw hard all the time" because of his elbow issues so I always thought he would have shoulder issues as he aged. when he went to Boston and they turned him loose the elbow went.

Rodon, I said from when they drafted him he was going to have injury and control issues due to his straight up motion and lack of trunk flexion on follow through.

Aiken was a wild card once they did the MRI pre-draft and found he had the abnormal UCL. It was almost guaranteed he was going to issues. It was just a question on how he would do after surgery.

Rodon has injury issues because he's was ran into the ground in college by his coach.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Rodon has injury issues because he's was ran into the ground in college by his coach.

That didn't help that's for sure. But his motion has all the indicators of issues as well.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That didn't help that's for sure. But his motion has all the indicators of issues as well.

Agree; we've had talks about how top heavy he is, his lack of extension and the strain it puts on his arm - being all arm.

That said, he could have possibly survived that if he didn't throw 132! innings in 19 starts while striking out or walking more than half his batters. He had games where he threw 130+ pitches. This after a freshman year where he was driven into the ground to close the season out. Avent should have been fired for how he handled Rodon, and yet he's still there.

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Agree; we've had talks about how top heavy he is, his lack of extension and the strain it puts on his arm - being all arm.

That said, he could have possibly survived that if he didn't throw 132! innings in 19 starts while striking out or walking more than half his batters. He had games where he threw 130+ pitches. This after a freshman year where he was driven into the ground to close the season out. Avent should have been fired for how he handled Rodon, and yet he's still there.

Possibly but being all arm in the MLB usually isn't a recipe for success.

9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

On Twitter Jimmy suggests all this Crochet smoke might be the standard draft day misdirection.

Can someone explain to me the purpose of draft day misdirection.  I understand in other sports where you can trade picks, where you wouldn't necessarily want to broadcast who you like in fear that another team will trade in front of you to select that player.  But in MLB?  Is it all about negotiations with the players (like telling Abel's camp that the Sox are really interested in Crochet so they can cut a better deal with him)? 

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

Can someone explain to me the purpose of draft day misdirection.  I understand in other sports where you can trade picks, where you wouldn't necessarily want to broadcast who you like in fear that another team will trade in front of you to select that player.  But in MLB?  Is it all about negotiations with the players (like telling Abel's camp that the Sox are really interested in Crochet so they can cut a better deal with him)? 

Yeah, I think that you nailed it. 

I think that there are 3-5 guys on each team's list and the guy that they end up choosing has a lot to do with whether or not they can get a deal they're comfortable with. 

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

How much time does each team have to pick tonight? Trying to figure out approximately when the Sox will pick. 

Replying to my own post here, but I looked back at tweets from last year’s draft. The Sox picked 3rd and the pick was right around 6:30. Toronto picked 11th and made the pick around 7:15/7:20. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

rumor of Abel having a deal with Boston. Also Jones seems to have helium and could be the Cubs first pick.

https://www.prospectslive.com/mlb-draft/2020/6/8/live-rumor-updates-mlb-draft-day

10:51 AM:. Multiple sources including Kiley McDaniel of ESPN and Baseball America are reporting that a combination of Austin Martin at pick two and Pennsylvania prep righthander Nick Bitsko at pick thirty is in play for the Orioles first two selections this evening. That’s estimated in the neighborhood of $10,000,000 to $11,000,000 in pool dollars between their first two picks. However, with the draft’s largest bonus pool at $13,894,300 there’s still plenty of cash (estimated $2,900,000 to $3,300,000 in remaining money) to land talent at picks 39, 74, 103, and 133.

great start for baltimores new group.

40 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Can someone explain to me the purpose of draft day misdirection.  

It’s often so that other teams above you don’t get a pulse on your scouting, in fear that your desired player will be taken if your interest is well known.

If the Angels day knew we loved Abel say, they could be swayed by that to select him right before us.

Make sense?

Not sure why Crochet talk would be "draft day smoke" or whatever.  What is happening makes the most sense: guy slotted down on the draft boards which teams are interested in taking much higher, and those teams don't want the other teams to know it about it, nor do they want the player to rise on mocks, because the teams are also looking at the player on an underslot deal.  You don't say things until you're getting ready to put the money together for real.  There really is no reason to pretend to be interested in a guy who is commonly slotted like 10+ picks below where you are selecting.

I think it's a sign of legitimate interest.

• Like 1