What Now?

WBWSF

Outside of Gio and Lopez, we're seeing what we want to see...production from the guys who will be in our lineup for the next several years.  Those guys (TA7, YoYo and Eloy) know that W/L this year isn't incredibly important.  Our W/L will improve as the ML team is augmented by other core pieces coming up from the minors.  In the interim?  Who cares.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Outside of Gio and Lopez, we're seeing what we want to see...production from the guys who will be in our lineup for the next several years.  Those guys (TA7, YoYo and Eloy) know that W/L this year isn't incredibly important.  Our W/L will improve as the ML team is augmented by other core pieces coming up from the minors.  In the interim?  Who cares.

I agree that the young guys, including Cease, Robert and Collins, in the Minors, are generally very encouraging. There is one more guy, who might be a candidate to provide some depth to their beleaguered rotation. Lots of people in the organization are very impressed with Jimmy Lambert and he did have a very good start, last night, for the Barons. Perhaps they should consider giving him a chance. 

I just wanted to clarify the objective, regarding wins and losses, for this year. If it doesn't matter, and in fact, tanking for another high draft pick is the objective, then fine. Just take the losses. But, those who advocate that approach, shouldn't complain, right?

• Haha 1

Baseball is supposed to be entertainment, so although there have been some nice developments from the "future" guys, this product has been awful tough to watch so far this season.  I love listening to and watching White Sox baseball but this crap they are putting on the field is tough to spend much time on.  

24 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I agree that the young guys, including Cease, Robert and Collins, in the Minors, are generally very encouraging. There is one more guy, who might be a candidate to provide some depth to their beleaguered rotation. Lots of people in the organization are very impressed with Jimmy Lambert and he did have a very good start, last night, for the Barons. Perhaps they should consider giving him a chance. 

I just wanted to clarify the objective, regarding wins and losses, for this year. If it doesn't matter, and in fact, tanking for another high draft pick is the objective, then fine. Just take the losses. But, those who advocate that approach, shouldn't complain, right?

People often ask what the objective is, but what we have to clarify is WHOSE objective do we mean when we ask that question.  Over simplification, but:

A - Fan A wants another year of tanking because the Sox are still rebuilding.  Their objective is to get a high draft pick again.  Record be damned.
B - Fan B thinks this is year 3 of the rebuild and feels progress should be apparent. In their opinion the objective should be to see improvement and maybe win 70+ games.
C - Fan C never wanted a rebuild in the first place.  They believe the objective for 2019, as every year, should be to try to get to the playoffs.
D - And then what is the objective of the front office for 2019????  That we have no idea about.  I'd guess that right now they're somewhere in the area of B above, but the problem is it's looking more like A is still happening.  Hence the frustration on the part of a lot of fans.

Personally, I'm probably in the range of B above.  But ..... I'd feel WAY more comfortable if option A ended up happening IF I felt category D knew what the hell they were doing.  Unfortunately, I'm losing more hope on that front every year.  And this winter my hope took a major hit.

EDIT to summarize: There are definitely C people on this board and get totally get where they're coming from.  But I think a lot of us here are B people, who see A happening, not intentionally though, but by what appears to be the incompetence of D.

Edited by RTC
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, wegner said:

Baseball is supposed to be entertainment, so although there have been some nice developments from the "future" guys, this product has been awful tough to watch so far this season.  I love listening to and watching White Sox baseball but this crap they are putting on the field is tough to spend much time on.  

I agree and you raise another potential consideration. Does management have any concern for the "watchability" aspect of this team?

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I agree and you raise another potential consideration. Does management have any concern for the "watchability" aspect of this team?

Ahhhhh ... now you're getting to the heart of the frustration for a lot fans.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Part of the bad watchability is the game is close to over in the first inning. The first inning was a problem last season as well. It would be nice not to be down a couple of runs before they came to bat.

Watching games that are close to 4 hours are miserable as well. When I was younger, I didn't mind getting to the ballpark really early to catch opponent's batting practice. So unless it is a giveaway that I want, I make sure I get there like 5 mins before first pitch/walk in during first inning.

Edited by soxfan2014