Brandon Brennan gets 1st ML win

MnSoxFan

These actually annoy me the most because I don't expect anyone on this forum to have been like "oh crap sox shouldn't have let brandon brennan go", but the sox have put a crap ton of resources into bullpen scouting, acquisition and I would suppose development. And gave a bunch of pitchers tryouts.

They should have known what they had.

Brennan was a guy I had as an "Adopt A Prospect", so I know a little about the guy. I've seen him pitch, I even interviewed him some years ago. The reality is the guy came into the system with interesting stuff (mid-90s sinker, slider that showed promise) but repeatedly struggled with command, and injuries, and re-tooling of his arsenal. His stuff in the upper levels never really indicated future MLB success. So this one, I really don't mind it. In fact I am skeptical that he keeps it up. Let's see how he is doing come July.

Is it possible the Mariners saw something the Sox didn't, had him make a change or two and now he's playable? Sure. The Sox have done that with pitchers successfully too. More often than I've seen it the other way around in fact. It just doesn't bother me I guess.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

i don't remember this name at all, any backstory to his acquisition, moves with him?

He was a 4th round draft pick in 2012, just one of those guys that hangs around in bullpen but had a good year in birmingham and pitched just a bit in AAA. Was out of options and I'm pretty sure he was just lost as a minor league free agent to Seattle this summer. And he made the team out of camp and has a .7 WAR after half a month.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

He was a 4th round draft pick in 2012, just one of those guys that hangs around in bullpen but had a good year in birmingham and pitched just a bit in AAA. Was out of options and I'm pretty sure he was just lost as a minor league free agent to Seattle this summer. And he made the team out of camp and has a .7 WAR after half a month.

He was also a 27-year-old who needed 3 seasons in AA to find success at that level. Who would you have removed from the 40-man to keep him this past winter?

I understand it is frustrating to lose talent, but let's keep the full picture in mind.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

He was also a 27-year-old who needed 3 seasons in AA to find success at that level. Who would you have removed from the 40-man to keep him this past winter?

Minaya or about 10 other guys on the 40 man just like him.

This FO has used up all of its “how could we have known” excuse allotment.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

These actually annoy me the most because I don't expect anyone on this forum to have been like "oh crap sox shouldn't have let brandon brennan go", but the sox have put a crap ton of resources into bullpen scouting, acquisition and I would suppose development. And gave a bunch of pitchers tryouts.

They should have known what they had.

No guarantee he'd had the same success with Cooper.

I was going to post this yesterday, but it's frustrating because our bullpen is a mess so far.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Minaya or about 10 other guys on the 40 man just like him

lol GMAB 10 other guys just like him.

With Minaya or Brennan there was no one who saw either as more than filler anyway. And between those two, knowing what and who they are, Minaya is the easy choice to keep because he's likely to be able to get some outs here and there at the MLB level. If you want to talk 10 guys, there are 10 actual prospects who needed protection this past winter that I would have protected over Brennan.

Sometimes a prospect clicks with a change of scenery. That doesn't necessarily mean the previous team screwed up (though sometimes it does). And again, get back to me in a few months.

I think the frustration with the team (which I am totally on board with) is making people overreact to some pretty silly things. Not one person on SoxTalk or anywhere else did I see be upset about leaving Brennan unprotected. Hell when he was taken in the R5 there were a crapload of people around the Sox and overall prospect sites who said "WTF?". Baseball America's JJ Cooper did his usual R5 preview with like 75 players and Brennan never was even considered for it, he later said.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I understand it is frustrating to lose talent, but let's keep the full picture in mind.

I'm frustrated that with all of the auditions of bullpen pitchers they have given in the last year, they apparently could not fix and identify a guy having immediate success (something that has alluded all of the guys they've spent resources to acquire).

If the sox were competitive now and let a guy like this go, no big deal, it happens, there's no room (yankees). But the white sox entire mode right now should be finding guys like this. The mariners signed him as a minor league free agent, and apparently liked him enough that he had a shot to even make opening day, so clearly scouts that are paid for this had something on him, meanwhile...thyago vieira.

12 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

From your AAP is it fair to say that the 3 seasons he spent in AA were because his elbow gave out? 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I'm frustrated that with all of the auditions of bullpen pitchers they have given in the last year, they apparently could not fix and identify a guy having immediate success (something that has alluded all of the guys they've spent resources to acquire).

If the sox were competitive now and let a guy like this go, no big deal, it happens, there's no room (yankees). But the white sox entire mode right now should be finding guys like this. The mariners signed him as a minor league free agent, and apparently liked him enough that he had a shot to even make opening day, so clearly scouts that are paid for this had something on him, meanwhile...thyago vieira.

Meanwhile, guys who throw triple digits and has some filthy stuff are ones you always take a shot at. And I'd take a Vieira over a Brennan every single time. Out of 100 times, 20 Vieira's will work out, and like 2 Brennans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

lol GMAB 10 other guys just like him.

With Minaya or Brennan there was no one who saw either as more than filler anyway. And between those two, knowing what and who they are, Minaya is the easy choice to keep because he's likely to be able to get some outs here and there at the MLB level. If you want to talk 10 guys, there are 10 actual prospects who needed protection this past winter that I would have protected over Brennan.

Sometimes a prospect clicks with a change of scenery. That doesn't necessarily mean the previous team screwed up (though sometimes it does). And again, get back to me in a few months.

I think the frustration with the team (which I am totally on board with) is making people overreact to some pretty silly things. Not one person on SoxTalk or anywhere else did I see be upset about leaving Brennan unprotected. Hell when he was taken in the R5 there were a crapload of people around the Sox and overall prospect sites who said "WTF?". Baseball America's JJ Cooper did his usual R5 preview with like 75 players and Brennan never was even considered for it, he later said.

This isn't my job to do.

How many relievers did we use last year? That is the white sox job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NorthSideSox72 said:

Meanwhile, guys who throw triple digits and has some filthy stuff are ones you always take a shot at. And I'd take a Vieira over a Brennan every single time. Out of 100 times, 20 Vieira's will work out, and like 2 Brennans.

Thyago may have thrown 100, but his stuff was not filthy. He was 95-96 last year and was straight as an arrow when it could be made. The sox gave a lot of auditions last year and didn't give it to this guy, and he's having immediate success.

This is their job. You may think it's unfair, but a lot of other teams are consistently finding players that can produce to some point in the major league level, players available to the sox, and the guys they keep acquiring aren't doing that.

That's a problem when we are in talent acquisition mode! They aren't operating in vacuum. They are competing with other teams, and its fair to ask why they can't do things as well as others even if it wasn't obvious to a guy who doesn't have a full time job that brandon brennans changeup could get players out better than vieiras awful time in the major league bullpen last year.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

From your AAP is it fair to say that the 3 seasons he spent in AA were because his elbow gave out? 

That is part of it I think, but honestly it is always hard to seperate injury issues from performance issues. Hard to make the case it was a thing for 3 years, but maybe? No idea. He was a TJS survivor upon arriving with the Sox.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Thyago may have thrown 100, but his stuff was not filthy. He was 95-96 last year and was straight as an arrow when it could be made. The sox gave a lot of auditions last year and didn't give it to this guy, and he's having immediate success.

This is their job. You may think it's unfair, but a lot of other teams are consistently finding players that can produce to some point in the major league level, players available to the sox, and the guys they keep acquiring aren't doing that.

That's a problem when we are in talent acquisition mode! They aren't operating in vacuum. They are competing with other teams, and its fair to ask why they can't do things as well as others even if it wasn't obvious to a guy who doesn't have a full time job that brandon brennans changeup could get players out better than vieiras awful time in the major league bullpen last year.

Thyago HAS shown filthy stuff at times. He didn't last year. It happens, like I said.

The Sox have done this with pitchers they bring in at least as often as ones they have lost.

Anyway, I'll say once more, wait until July. And furthermore this Brennan thing isn't an issue to me. I can name a whole bunch of other things that concern me about this front office, and a bunch of player examples that went badly, but Brennan wouldn't make my list. When he was picked, everyone was puzzled. What you are stuck in here is revisionist history.

Now if you want to talk about OVERALL success in player development with the Sox (or lack thereof), I'm right on board. The Sox have done poorly, period.

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

i don't remember this name at all, any backstory to his acquisition, moves with him?

He just spent the majority of the past decade pitching in the Sox minor league system after being drafted in 2012. Was terrible in 16 and 17, decent last year in AA, a level he had repeated many times. 

Left the org as a minor league free agent this past offseason. Signed an milb deal with the Rockies, and was left unprotected and was selected by Ms in Rule 5.

Chances if him sticking are very slim, and people pointing to him as a Sox failure is pretty comical. 

Edited by ChiSox59