Brandon Brennan gets 1st ML win

MnSoxFan

4 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Thyago HAS shown filthy stuff at times. He didn't last year. It happens, like I said.

The Sox have done this with pitchers they bring in at least as often as ones they have lost.

Anyway, I'll say once more, wait until July. And furthermore this Brennan thing isn't an issue to me. I can name a whole bunch of other things that concern me about this front office, and a bunch of player examples that went badly, but Brennan wouldn't make my list. When he was picked, everyone was puzzled. What you are stuck in here is revisionist history.

Now if you want to talk about OVERALL success in player development with the Sox (or lack thereof), I'm right on board. The Sox have done poorly, period.

I am not stuck in revisionist history. You are asking who they should have protected. I'm saying last year, when they had plenty of space to try out players, they prioritized a set of players based on their analysis.

The mariners own scouting clearly identified a player of ours that could get players out immediately (rule 5 pick), it looks like they were right. 

This was a problem of putting a whole bunch of resources in college/minor league relievers. THey are a group likely to be poached in rule 5, so we have to protect way more than we should and see pretty immediately whether they can hack it. Early returns aren't looking great!

And don't get me wrong, is this a big screw up by the sox? No.

But is it incredibly annoying that during a time that they have space and time to allow marginal prospects to work at the big league level and see what they have, that they missed out on a cheap and ready bullpen arm (when that has been a focus of their rebuild)?

YES! Yes it is annoying.

This isn't Chris Devenski blooming years after being traded into a very weird and useful bullpen arm. This guy was apparently ready to go and cheap and better than, uh, rob scahill.

45 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

lol GMAB 10 other guys just like him.

With Minaya or Brennan there was no one who saw either as more than filler anyway. And between those two, knowing what and who they are, Minaya is the easy choice to keep because he's likely to be able to get some outs here and there at the MLB level. If you want to talk 10 guys, there are 10 actual prospects who needed protection this past winter that I would have protected over Brennan.

Come on, the 40 man was full of filler and still is (either that or Josh Osich is a misprint).  And Minaya wasn't even filler.  He has spent lots of  time on the 25 man.  It's like Cooper pitching Noesi for a season+ while barely giving Junior Guerra (who had utterly dominated AAA) a chance.

How can they possibly  be given a pass after so many prior personnel screw ups.  Or  put on a more positive note - when will one of the bevy of Rule 5 guys they have traded for do something?

Edited by GreenSox

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Come on, the 40 man was full of filler.  And Minaya's wasn't even filler.  He has spent lots of  time on the 25 man.  It's like Cooper pitching Noesi for a season+ while barely giving Junior Guerra a chance.

How can they possibly  be given a passes after so many personnel screw ups.  Or put another way - when will one of the bevy of Rule 5 guys they have traded for do something?

I give no passes for their performance overall. What I am saying is, Brennan is a non-issue and the kind of thing that happens to all teams on a regular basis, with the Sox being on the flipside at times as well.

Just now, NorthSideSox72 said:

I give no passes for their performance overall. What I am saying is, Brennan is a non-issue and the kind of thing that happens to all teams on a regular basis, with the Sox being on the flipside at times as well.

They turned Quintana into their 2 best prospects, FFS.  A guy that THE YANKEES let go for free.  Just as example.

Happy for Brennan, but he's like to be back in the minors in short order.  

7 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

The Sox haven't been on that flipside nearly enough.  And they've given themselves plenty of opportunities, seeking rule 5 guys in most of the recent trades.

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They turned Quintana into their 2 best prospects, FFS.  A guy that THE YANKEES let go for free.  Just as example.

Happy for Brennan, but he's like to be back in the minors in short order.  

That was 8 years ago.

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

That was 8 years ago.

Sure, but its obviously still has ALOT of fruits to bear. 

99% guys who become minor league free agents never becomes anything of substance.  Chances are Brennan has had a nice little 10 inning run pitching in super low leverage spots and he'll turn back into the mediocre minor league pitcher he was for the majority of his 7 seasons with the Sox. 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

These actually annoy me the most because I don't expect anyone on this forum to have been like "oh crap sox shouldn't have let brandon brennan go", but the sox have put a crap ton of resources into bullpen scouting, acquisition and I would suppose development. And gave a bunch of pitchers tryouts.

They should have known what they had.

People think I put this out because I want him back. No way. I was just putting out something I thought was interesting. 

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, bmags said:

Literally just has his two worst outings of the year that explode his ERA and goes on the DL with a shoulder strain and soxtalk throws a parade.

20 walks in 34 innings?  And he’s turning 28.  He wasn’t good to begin with.  Were people worried about losing this guy?

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1