Alec Hansen a Reliever Now?

ChiSox59

On 4/12/2019 at 2:34 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The bullpen is probably his best avenue for success.  He's seems like a guy that has to do as little thinking as possible.  Don't think.  Just go out there and throw the hell out of it.  

The same can be said for Carson Fulmer.

I don't think there is a comparison with Fulmer. Hansen can be dominant when healthy. Last season started out with fore arm tightness followed by

a long layoff, followed by baby step throwing. I'll bet all that was accompanied by large doses of fear. He had a terrible year in college the same way. The question

I have is whether or not he'll lose his career to injury.

24 minutes ago, Quin said:

His junior year, yeah.

His sophomore year, he was viewed as a 1-1 candidate.

It's true, but I really have a hard time just accepting that every 2-3 years he reverts to being  a complete disaster that has to be rebuilt.

Bumping this thread after another solid relief appearance (2 scoreless, 5 K’s, 0 BB’s). When do you expect he will be stretched out to a starter again? Will it happen in Winston-Salem, or will they promote him to Birmingham first and have him return to starting there?

55 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Bumping this thread after another solid relief appearance (2 scoreless, 5 K’s, 0 BB’s). When do you expect he will be stretched out to a starter again? Will it happen in Winston-Salem, or will they promote him to Birmingham first and have him return to starting there?

Probably gets a few starts in WS soon and then a bump up to BIR

4 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

W-S for confidence boost, since there is a chance he's mentally fragile.

14 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Hell if he is going to be a shut down reliever I think I might be fine with that.

Exactly. Kid is excelling in this role albeit as a 24 year old in high A. I say continue to work him out of the pen in preparation to be a shut down 8th or 9th inning guy. 

I completely disagree. The pen will always be there as an option. He would be so much more valuable as a starter. I mean, maybe we try him as a 4 inning guy. Something, but he can be a 1 inning pitcher whenever, we don't need to prepare him for that.

If we can show he can throw 4 dominant innings, we could trade him for something else. If we say he's a 1 inning pitcher in the minors...that has zero value outside of him being able to prove it in the bigs. And even then maybe he's just a middle reliever. 

It's a poor use of his talent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Exactly. Kid is excelling in this role albeit as a 24 year old in high A. I say continue to work him out of the pen in preparation to be a shut down 8th or 9th inning guy. 

I think we should still give him another shot to start but if it doesn't work out it seems like he can be a good set up guy or closer

41 minutes ago, bmags said:

I completely disagree. The pen will always be there as an option. He would be so much more valuable as a starter. I mean, maybe we try him as a 4 inning guy. Something, but he can be a 1 inning pitcher whenever, we don't need to prepare him for that.

If we can show he can throw 4 dominant innings, we could trade him for something else. If we say he's a 1 inning pitcher in the minors...that has zero value outside of him being able to prove it in the bigs. And even then maybe he's just a middle reliever. 

It's a poor use of his talent.

100% agree.  Plus we have a ton of potential bullpen options from the right side and very few high caliber starting pitching prospects.  Once he regains his form & confidence, I want him starting.

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If he breaks again he may never be fixed.  They should leave him where he has the best chance for success.

If he breaks again what are the odds he could be a late inning reliever anyway

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If he breaks again he may never be fixed.  They should leave him where he has the best chance for success.

We know why broke last year (lost 40 pounds, got hurt, and messed up his mechanics).  I’m willing to roll the dice on him returning to form know that he’s addressed the issue.  Maybe there’s more to it than just that or maybe he’s simply a headcase, but either way he’s far more valuable to our organization as a starter than a reliever.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

If he breaks again what are the odds he could be a late inning reliever anyway

If he breaks when they make him a starter.  He's having success as a reliever.  I think they should leave him there.  He's been ass two of the last three years.  That's a trend I don't think they should continue.  

Edited by Harold's Leg Lift

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If he breaks when they make him a starter.  He's having success as a reliever.  I think they should leave him there.  He's been ass two of the last three years.  That's a trend I don't think they should continue.  

I get it. I guess I just don't trust in him regardless, hard to plan much on a guy who every odd year forgets how to throw a baseball.

I'd rather just put him on track for his highest potential value because it just feels like he's such a "wildcard" anyway