Sox @ Yankees, 4/12, 6:05 CT

soxfan49

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

2019 Rodon has a sub 2 FIP.  While that’s a mirage, at worst he’s a back end starter.

Look at his xFIP. It is around 4. While you're probably right that he can stick in the back of most rotations, he's going to frustrate the hell out of you in the process. Rodon is basically Rich Harden without a fastball. 

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

If this is supposed to be development this franchise is screwed

I know. They might be as bad or worse than the O's. 

They're already screwed guys. Cease and Robert are the only guys left in the minors. If they're not going to win games with most of the guys up here, the rebuild has already failed and it is time to clean house and start again. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

BTW my comments about Rodon were a trolljob and intentional hyperbole. 

With regard to Giolito, Performance =/= stuff. I think he has good stuff but he doesn't know where it is going, and Giolito's curve is an "urban legend" as Fathom says because he buries it in the ground too much. if the guy could throw it for a strike it would work. 

My support of Giolito has always been with the caveat of "IF he ever figures out where the fuck the ball is going, he'll be fine" He doesn't know where the ball is going, and if that never changes he'll continue to suck. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

BTW my comments about Rodon was a trolljob and intentional hyperbole. 

With regard to Giolito, Performance =/= stuff. I think he has good stuff but he doesn't know where it is going, and Giolito's curve is an "urban legend" as Fathom says because he buries it in the ground too much. 

His curveball had a neg 8.5 value last year according to fangraphs.  That's just about the worst value I've seen anyone have for an offspeed pitch.   Instead of having a plus curve, he has a below average curve.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

His curveball had a neg 8.5 value last year according to fangraphs.  That's just about the worst value I've seen anyone have for an offspeed pitch.   Instead of having a plus curve, he has a below average curve.

What was it in 2017? In 2018 he started throwing a slider and his curve suffered. IIRC Gio got a lot of swings and misses in 2017 late in the season on his curveball. Cooper has been ruining pitchers here. Giolito had a ++ curve before last season and Lopez had a decent one and now both guys are only fastball-change and are getting killed. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Looking like Giolito and Lopez are not getting any better 

Lopez' downfall is the most baffling to me. I don't think anyone here questions that guy's stuff. He should be alot better than he is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It would be interesting to see what Leury would do over an entire season if he remained healthy.

He played a lot in 2017 and did good. He was a starter for about half or more of the season but then he got injured and was replaced by Engel. Engel made some flashy catches and despite his atrocious hitting they stuck with him even after Leury came back. Leury deserved the chance to start 2018 but they went with Engel again even when Leury was healthy.

Edited by JuliusO1274