Tired of seeing Yolmer Sanchez in starting lineup

SweatyFreddy

I'm all in with the rebuild, but what is so enamoring about Yomer Sanchez that Renteria insists on putting him in the starting lineup every day? Sanchez  is a utility player--nothing more, nothing less. His best assets are being the team jester and pouring Gatorade on teammates. Nick Madrigal can't be called up soon enough. Despite his great start offensively this season, Leury Garcia is someone else I'm tired of seeing. He been butchering balls in the outfield and making stupid base-running mistakes for 3 years. It does appear, at least, that the Sox's love affair with Dylan Covey is finally (thankfully) coming to an end. Covey is in the minors where he belongs.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He wasn't in the starting lineup today tho 

and he appeared in the 6th inning as an inexplicable pinch hitter with no runners on or anything and then apparently proceeded to make a fielding mistake later in the 7th.

37 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

and he appeared in the 6th inning as an inexplicable pinch hitter with no runners on or anything and then apparently proceeded to make a fielding mistake later in the 7th.

I know. I saw it.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

He is a sub and not worthy of regular playing time even on this crappy team

He has been an average player the last couple years and was 4th on the 2018 white sox in fWAR. A 2 WAR player is an average starter and Yolmer has been that the last couple years. 

This statement does not excuse his play this year at all, his play this year has been ridiculously bad. It's not just a slow start - guys get off to a slow start with the bat sometimes even if they're doing everything right,  but his defensive mental miscues make this something far worse. Either mentally or physically or both, he's not there at all right now. 

This is particularly disappointing, because if he was just doing the same thing as last year, there would already be teams calling about him. All he had to do was be a fundamentally sound, average infielder who can play several positions. The Yankees could use another of those right now. But of course, somehow, lack of preparation or poor coaching or poor focus - always has to screw over our franchise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He has been an average player the last couple years and was 4th on the 2018 white sox in fWAR. A 2 WAR player is an average starter and Yolmer has been that the last couple years. 

This statement does not excuse his play this year at all, his play this year has been ridiculously bad. It's not just a slow start - guys get off to a slow start with the bat sometimes even if they're doing everything right,  but his defensive mental miscues make this something far worse. Either mentally or physically or both, he's not there at all right now. 

This is particularly disappointing, because if he was just doing the same thing as last year, there would already be teams calling about him. All he had to do was be a fundamentally sound, average infielder who can play several positions. The Yankees could use another of those right now. But of course, somehow, lack of preparation or poor coaching or poor focus - always has to screw over our franchise. 

I admire your knowledge and most of the people on this site but no one wants him either now or ever, and the Yankees would never want him ,he normally plays adequate defense but is below average in offense, zero power and strikes out way too much, there is zero reason to play him, we really deserve to start having quality players on this team enough of this garbage.

I posted this in the game thread but it fits here as well...

Yolmer Sanchez owns a .653 career OPS.  He is making $4.625 million this year and is literally a non-tender candidate next offseason but I expect him to be traded for peanuts before the deadline.  The Sox will not miss him.  A guy like Jose Rondon makes Yolmer a complete waste of $4 million dollars because he is younger and has more cheap salary arbitration years left.  I truly do not understand the love for Yolmer.  Is it because his best tool/skill is dumping Gatorade on his own head?!?

And when you add all the millions here and there that both Hahn and Kenny like to waste on these mediocre players and veterans, you could afford the extra $50 million guaranteed on a true game-changer like Machado or Harper instead of a scrub like Yolmer that you never want to see up to bat.  Hell, Yolmer has been so bad this year that the Sox might have to throw in some cash on any trade for him or accept the worst 25 year old “prospect” that a team offers.

Edited by Harper2Sox

3 hours ago, tray said:

Yolmer has made three  game changing errors in the first  13 games. He isn't hitting a lick either.  Something isn't right with hm this year.  I never thought we would see him suck this badly.

This is about as sympathetic as we can be towards him now. I feel for him. Great team mate, must be going through hell. Well paid hell at least.

3 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

I posted this in the game thread but it fits here as well...

Yolmer Sanchez owns a .653 career OPS.  He is making $4.625 million this year and is literally a non-tender candidate next offseason but I expect him to be traded for peanuts before the deadline.  The Sox will not miss him.  A guy like Jose Rondon makes Yolmer a complete waste of $4 million dollars because he is younger and has more cheap salary arbitration years left.  I truly do not understand the love for Yolmer.  Is it because his best tool/skill is dumping Gatorade on his own head?!?

And when you add all the millions here and there that both Hahn and Kenny like to waste on these mediocre players and veterans, you could afford the extra $50 million guaranteed on a true game-changer like Machado or Harper instead of a scrub like Yolmer that you never want to see up to bat.  Hell, Yolmer has been so bad this year that the Sox might have to throw in some cash on any trade for him or accept the worst 25 year old “prospect” that a team offers.

So I wanna say this. Yolmer is not a great player, please don't treat me as saying that he is. He's a solid defender, he's been average to above average at 2b and 3b the last 2 years and you can survive with him serving as an emergency SS even though he's not good there. His career OPS is .653, but it was .732 and .678 the last 2 years, so his career average is in part swamped by the fact that the White Sox called him up early in 2015/2016 as a desperation move to fill their terrible 2b positions on teams that an absolute fool named Rick Hahn thought were competitive - not his fault.

An average defensive 2b/3b, who can play multiple positions, who puts up something like a .700-ish OPS, that's not a great player. On a great team, you might have 1 or 2 starters at most at that quality at best, but you will absolutely have a few additional players like that.. Historically, the White Sox have a huge problem finding these "average" players, and they've been so desperate for them that they've been forcing them into starting roles rather than the utility they fit the best.  Most excellent teams have guys like Yolmer who fill important roles, the Cubs had them, the Astros had them, the Red Sox had them, the Dodgers had them. Good teams could use the 2017/2018 Yomer Sanchez. The White Sox were desperate for that type of player when they were trying to win. We spent money on guys like Beckham, Bonifacio, and Rollins because we couldn't develop Yolmer Sanchez quality players. Or, when we did have them, we traded them off in other desperation moves - like acquiring Liriano.

None of this excuses how bad Yolmer has been to start this year, he's been WAY worse than these numbers. So far, he's been an average player in the last 2 years. You are correct that the White Sox don't need this player right now, he should be traded, he's worth way more to other teams than to us, he should have been traded at the deadline last offseason, and it is incredibly disappointing that now that we should be moving him he's falling on his face for no obvious reason. But that doesn't mean we should forget how desperate we were for Yolmer-like players when we were insisting our 70 win teams were competitive, and we need to continue making sure we have these players rather than trading them away for 1-year rentals as Rick has been doing. 

I'm frustrated by Yolmer's start this year, but I'm also frustrated by the fact that the White Sox spent >$10 million trying to find guys who could be 2017/2018 Yolmer caliber players when they were trying to pretend they were competitive as well. So rip his start this year all you want, but understand how important it is to stop desperately spending money to fill the role Yolmer could fill right now. 

I concur, last year's version of Yolmer, at what has always been his best position, second base, would have provided a serviceable piece, for this non contending team. However, there does appear to be something wrong with him. I noticed that he hasn't been using his glasses, in several games. Perhaps that has something to do with it. In any case, he should not be getting much playing time, unless and until someone discovers what is wrong with him.

In the meantime, who is the best guy to assume the role of place holder, until Madrigal arrives, likely next year? Is Rondon good enough defensively, at a position that he has not played very much? He has pretty much always been a SS. Would Leury be better suited , at that spot, than playing the outfield? Escobar is hitting a little at Charlotte, but his offense has been so bad, for the last several years that it's hard to imagine that he would be worth calling up. Danny Mendick had a great Spring, but hasn't shown much so far this season. Ryan Goins is a terrible hitter. Laz Rivera is actually better suited for 2ND, than SS, but he has suddenly stopped hitting and he has only recently been promoted to AA. The organization has little middle infield depth, at the higher levels. 

There aren't any unsigned free agents, who might fill that hole and a trade seems unlikely, with Madrigal expected to take that spot, next year. So, between Rondon and Leury, who is best suited for the keystone sack, at least for this year?

Edited by Lillian

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Or, when we did have them, we traded them off in other desperation moves - like acquiring Liriano.

In Kenny's last stand, he traded Escobar for a  few months of starter having a bad year; and he traded 2 young pitchers for a mediocre relief pitcher with a dubious background.  One of those young pitchers became Chris Devenski, one of the most versatile relievers in baseball.   

In 2013, the Hahn era begins with a bang by signing Keppinger.....he is the first of  Hahn's signings who quit MLB mid-contract (there were 2 others).

In December 2014, fresh off of 73 wins,  Hahn convinced himself that the Sox could contend, so he traded Yolmer Semien, Phegley (still on the As 25) and others to the As for 1 year of Samardzija.   This trade was particularly egregious because Semien had a ceiling much higher than utility player(1).   But a month later, Hahn realizes "I don't have a 2B", so he gives Emilio Bonifacio the highest salary of his career.  He was waived before the 2015 season ended.

The very next year, Hahn traded 2 young pitchers for Brett Lawrie.  Lawrie decided to quit MLB mid-season, mid-contract (the 2nd of Hahn's acquisitions to quit the game). Don't look up the stats of JB Wendelkin.

The other ongoing theme is Hahn's constant sojourn for relief pitchers.   Lots of resources, lots of trades, even using a #1 pick for a relief pitcher. One trade was really clever - getting Soria and Avilan for a rule 5 guy -  only to see Soria  flipped for a Rule 5 prospect who projects as a LOOGY.  

(1) The FO refused to trade Samardzija at the deadline (even though he pitched his best game of the year in July against a team desperate for a starter) proclaiming that "a 10 game winning streak is right around the corner."  They used the pick to draft a relief pitcher they thought they could rush into the 2016 pen.

Edited by GreenSox

Yomer is having the same experience as most players and regular working people.  First few years he doesn't earn much and he's pretty good at some things required of a part time player.  As time goes by he earns a little more money and gets to play more.  Another raise or two and even more playing time.  One day he is earning good money and doesn't play as well anymore.  Boss says things are not going so well we need to make some changes.  That's how it works.  Yomer is not worth the playing time he gets or the money.  I was a real Yomer fan but I am ready to move on.

29 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yomer is having the same experience as most players and regular working people.  First few years he doesn't earn much and he's pretty good at some things required of a part time player.  As time goes by he earns a little more money and gets to play more.  Another raise or two and even more playing time.  One day he is earning good money and doesn't play as well anymore.  Boss says things are not going so well we need to make some changes.  That's how it works.  Yomer is not worth the playing time he gets or the money.  I was a real Yomer fan but I am ready to move on.

Most of us are ready to "move on," from Yolmer, at least as anything more than a bench player. The question is; "who should take his place, until Madrigal arrives?"

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So I wanna say this. Yolmer is not a great player, please don't treat me as saying that he is. He's a solid defender, he's been average to above average at 2b and 3b the last 2 years and you can survive with him serving as an emergency SS even though he's not good there. His career OPS is .653, but it was .732 and .678 the last 2 years, so his career average is in part swamped by the fact that the White Sox called him up early in 2015/2016 as a desperation move to fill their terrible 2b positions on teams that an absolute fool named Rick Hahn thought were competitive - not his fault.

An average defensive 2b/3b, who can play multiple positions, who puts up something like a .700-ish OPS, that's not a great player. On a great team, you might have 1 or 2 starters at most at that quality at best, but you will absolutely have a few additional players like that.. Historically, the White Sox have a huge problem finding these "average" players, and they've been so desperate for them that they've been forcing them into starting roles rather than the utility they fit the best.  Most excellent teams have guys like Yolmer who fill important roles, the Cubs had them, the Astros had them, the Red Sox had them, the Dodgers had them. Good teams could use the 2017/2018 Yomer Sanchez. The White Sox were desperate for that type of player when they were trying to win. We spent money on guys like Beckham, Bonifacio, and Rollins because we couldn't develop Yolmer Sanchez quality players. Or, when we did have them, we traded them off in other desperation moves - like acquiring Liriano.

None of this excuses how bad Yolmer has been to start this year, he's been WAY worse than these numbers. So far, he's been an average player in the last 2 years. You are correct that the White Sox don't need this player right now, he should be traded, he's worth way more to other teams than to us, he should have been traded at the deadline last offseason, and it is incredibly disappointing that now that we should be moving him he's falling on his face for no obvious reason. But that doesn't mean we should forget how desperate we were for Yolmer-like players when we were insisting our 70 win teams were competitive, and we need to continue making sure we have these players rather than trading them away for 1-year rentals as Rick has been doing. 

I'm frustrated by Yolmer's start this year, but I'm also frustrated by the fact that the White Sox spent >$10 million trying to find guys who could be 2017/2018 Yolmer caliber players when they were trying to pretend they were competitive as well. So rip his start this year all you want, but understand how important it is to stop desperately spending money to fill the role Yolmer could fill right now. 

I agree with you regarding all the wasted money on these types of players but Yolmer has now become the expensive bench solution at almost $5 million and going up each year.

15 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

While I agree Yolmer may not be the answer either is Rondon. He sucks. Just like the other Rondon we had...

What is wrong with Rondon and his current .766 OPS?  Even if he sucks, at least he will do it more cheaply than Yolmer.

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

What is wrong with Rondon and his current .766 OPS?  Even if he sucks, at least he will do it more cheaply than Yolmer.

You complain about yolmers weak contact but Rondon makes no contact. Thinks he's gonna hit the ball 700 miles every time. Done with that. Leury does the same time