Tired of seeing Yolmer Sanchez in starting lineup

SweatyFreddy

48 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

You complain about yolmers weak contact but Rondon makes no contact. Thinks he's gonna hit the ball 700 miles every time. Done with that. Leury does the same time

Rondon is earning $4 million less than Yolmer and has some pop.  Yolmer could be traded away for a bag of balls and most people wouldn’t care.  He isn’t worth much at all no matter how much you like him and his stupid antics.

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Rondon is earning $4 million less than Yolmer and has some pop.  Yolmer could be traded away for a bag of balls and most people wouldn’t care.  He isn’t worth much at all no matter how much you like him and his stupid antics.

Again I know he's not worth much. But Rondon isn't the answer either no matter how much you try to spin it. I'm done with dumb players

Edited by JoshPR

15 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Again I know he's not worth much. But Rondon isn't the answer either no matter how much you try to spin it. I'm done with dumb players

I never said he was the answer but I’d rather see him play over Yolmer.  I haven’t spun anything.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Bumping this because I'm pretty surprised nobody complains about Yolmer.

Out of 156 qualified MLB hitters, Yolmer ranks 149th in wRC+ and 152nd in wOBA. He has a .630 OPS but receives daily at-bats. In 2018 and 2019, Adam Engel posted a 68 wRC+. Yolmer Sanchez has a 73 wRC+.

He has literally been an Engel-level of terrible but he plays every day. I get that Rondon has been bad too, but there are definitely solutions. Once Tim is back, Leury can play 2B with Cordell in CF and Jay in RF, for example. I'm just so tired of having a black hole in the lineup every day, and I know he won't be our starter for long thanks to Madrigal, but in the meantime, having to watch him bat every day is excruciating.  

Jose Abreu and I have been on this train since March.

Yolmer is a nice infielder and a switch hitter with meager results. To me, he screams 23rd guy on an NL team. He's beloved in the clubhouse and apparently by the front office but I'll repeat it for the 100th time - what value does Yolmer Sanchez provide to our next playoff team? There is no scenario where this guy gets trade value. Let's see what Mendick can do. Anyone but Yolmer. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 1

Yolmer will be gone soon enough. His arb numbers are getting up there. Leury can do what he can do plus more  for less money. Unfortunately, Yolmer hasn't hit enough to make a team think they can use a guy like him for the last 60 games.

For now, who cares? I am as sick of him as anyone, but playing Rondon more, which was suggested earlier in the year, doesn't make much sense. He makes Yolmer look like an all star. 

The other options are weak. Just like with every pitcher the Sox must immediately DFA. Do you really want to see Despaigne again? Hector Santiago? Unfortunately, we have to embrace a certain level of suck, because what is behind it sucks way worse or isn't quite ready.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yolmer will be gone soon enough. His arb numbers are getting up there. Leury can do what he can do plus more  for less money. Unfortunately, Yolmer hasn't hit enough to make a team think they can use a guy like him for the last 60 games.

For now, who cares? I am as sick of him as anyone, but playing Rondon more, which was suggested earlier in the year, doesn't make much sense. He makes Yolmer look like an all star. 

The other options are weak. Just like with every pitcher the Sox must immediately DFA. Do you really want to see Despaigne again? Hector Santiago? Unfortunately, we have to embrace a certain level of suck, because what is behind it sucks way worse or isn't quite ready.

Yeah yolmer sucks.. but isn't anyone else to put there.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

These aren't the other options though. It's not like people are clamoring for Ryan Goins to get Yolmer's PAs. Is it worth it to see what Mendick can do? I don't know but at the least it's more worthwhile than Yolmer. I definitely have the indication that the club doesn't view Mendick as highly as the fans may though. 

9 minutes ago, raBBit said:

These aren't the other options though. It's not like people are clamoring for Ryan Goins to get Yolmer's PAs. Is it worth it to see what Mendick can do? I don't know but at the least it's more worthwhile than Yolmer. I definitely have the indication that the club doesn't view Mendick as highly as the fans may though. 

Mendick would be hard for a fan to judge. Everyone puts up big numbers in Charlotte. I just wonder if Eduardo Escobar has anything to do with the Sox love of Yolmer. They were pretty similar profiles. Very well liked by everyone. Good gloves. Punch and judy hitters. Escobar develops some power, maybe, especially after Yolmer hit double figures a couple of years ago, they hoped for the same path. If they had any clue Escobar would be a 20 homer guy, they never would have traded him.

If they don’t believe in Collins as a hitter, why would they believe in someone like Mendick, Mercedes or Zavala...?

The respectful thing to do would be to trade Yolmer to the first team who will take him for the equivalent of Alex Call.  We have been giving lots of at-bats to players of that ill for the last 2 1/2 seasons and still don’t have a player that fits on the next White Sox playoff team other than James McCann, who already had a somewhat established big league pedigree. 

Escobar or Goins there aren’t the answer...but this team is usually loyal with homegrown players, so that means Abreu and probably Yolmer stick around, like it or not, doesn’t matter.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Mendick would be hard for a fan to judge. Everyone puts up big numbers in Charlotte. I just wonder if Eduardo Escobar has anything to do with the Sox love of Yolmer. They were pretty similar profiles. Very well liked by everyone. Good gloves. Punch and judy hitters. Escobar develops some power, maybe, especially after Yolmer hit double figures a couple of years ago, they hoped for the same path. If they had any clue Escobar would be a 20 homer guy, they never would have traded him.

That's a fair point and I've had that same thought re: the Sox and Escobar. The similarities between the two, as prospects, are very apparent. 

That said, EE put together offensive improvements in his age 25 season. Yolmer has taken a step back from his past two seasons. 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

If they don’t believe in Collins as a hitter, why would they believe in someone like Mendick, Mercedes or Zavala...?

The respectful thing to do would be to trade Yolmer to the first team who will take him for the equivalent of Alex Call.  We have been giving lots of at-bats to players of that ill for the last 2 1/2 seasons and still don’t have a player that fits on the next White Sox playoff team other than James McCann, who already had a somewhat established big league pedigree. 

Escobar or Goins there aren’t the answer...but this team is usually loyal with homegrown players, so that means Abreu and probably Yolmer stick around, like it or not, doesn’t matter.

The respectful thing to do isn't in the realm of possibility. Yolmer is not a commodity. Sox would get an A ball pitcher with little intrigue at best. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They already had Merrifield and Mondesi...and he was getting more expensive with limited offensive upside (in their eyes) and positional flexibility.

At any rate, we can’t trust any numbers from Charlotte, and that’s not going to be a positive when we actually start to field competitive teams.  It means are scouting is going to have to be that much better.  Palka was the main success of 2018, and he’s worth approximately one autographed Joe Borchard 2000 Topps rookie card as of today.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The respectful thing to do isn't in the realm of possibility. Yolmer is not a commodity. Sox would get an A ball pitcher with little intrigue at best. 

They’re not going to release him.  They will simply wait until the offseason and quietly non-tender him.

The only other option the Sox have is to play Leury at second when Anderson returns.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Bumping this because I'm pretty surprised nobody complains about Yolmer.

Out of 156 qualified MLB hitters, Yolmer ranks 149th in wRC+ and 152nd in wOBA. He has a .630 OPS but receives daily at-bats. In 2018 and 2019, Adam Engel posted a 68 wRC+. Yolmer Sanchez has a 73 wRC+.

He has literally been an Engel-level of terrible but he plays every day. I get that Rondon has been bad too, but there are definitely solutions. Once Tim is back, Leury can play 2B with Cordell in CF and Jay in RF, for example. I'm just so tired of having a black hole in the lineup every day, and I know he won't be our starter for long thanks to Madrigal, but in the meantime, having to watch him bat every day is excruciating.  

Looks like I've made it to somebody's ignore list.

14 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Looks like I've made it to somebody's ignore list.

Ha, I'm just not as active in game threads as I used to be and I'm assuming that's where your comments on Yolmer would be occurring. What I was more surprised by was the lack of threads about him in general. You wouldn't think that he has been an Engel-level hitter this year just by browsing the forum.

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Ha, I'm just not as active in game threads as I used to be and I'm assuming that's where your comments on Yolmer would be occurring. What I was more surprised by was the lack of threads about him in general. You wouldn't think that he has been an Engel-level hitter this year just by browsing the forum.

Honestly, I think it's because we have so many crap players whose days here are limited. Yolmer will be replaced by Madrigal in the near future, so personally, I'm ambivalent towards him now.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:23 AM, SweatyFreddy said:

I'm all in with the rebuild, but what is so enamoring about Yomer Sanchez that Renteria insists on putting him in the starting lineup every day? Sanchez  is a utility player--nothing more, nothing less. His best assets are being the team jester and pouring Gatorade on teammates. Nick Madrigal can't be called up soon enough. Despite his great start offensively this season, Leury Garcia is someone else I'm tired of seeing. He been butchering balls in the outfield and making stupid base-running mistakes for 3 years. It does appear, at least, that the Sox's love affair with Dylan Covey is finally (thankfully) coming to an end. Covey is in the minors where he belongs.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:23 AM, SweatyFreddy said:

I'm all in with the rebuild, but what is so enamoring about Yomer Sanchez that Renteria insists on putting him in the starting lineup every day? Sanchez  is a utility player--nothing more, nothing less. His best assets are being the team jester and pouring Gatorade on teammates. Nick Madrigal can't be called up soon enough. Despite his great start offensively this season, Leury Garcia is someone else I'm tired of seeing. He been butchering balls in the outfield and making stupid base-running mistakes for 3 years. It does appear, at least, that the Sox's love affair with Dylan Covey is finally (thankfully) coming to an end. Covey is in the minors where he belongs.

Yolmer is by far the worst base runner I have ever seen and I have never been a fan but he does add some value as a utility player for a good team IMO. Switch hitter with a good glove and can play all 3 infield positions ( shortstop is a question ) would be  a asset on  good team. But yes after Madrigal comes up there is no spot for him on our team. Always thought the Cubs should have Traded Russell to someone else and picked up Yolmer. Russell stock has dropped now but Yolmer could be effective on he Cubs and would fit in in he Clubhouse for sure. Wouldn't be against Yolmer for Happ. Also Yolmer could be a good sweetener if we traded Colome or Abreu. Just saying

About a year ago you could squint and see a really good utility guy in Yolmer.  That vision was proven an illusion.   His power has gone missing from a respectable ISO around .120 to now sitting at .70  That's 50 points of OPS he's lost.  On top of that his defense peaked early and it's been a slow decline: he's on pace to have his fewest run saves by fangraphs metric since his 2016.

He'll get non-tendered most likely then picked up by somebody at a better price, there is no doubt of that.  When guys like Gordon Beckham are still floating around you know there's a 25 man spot for a 650 OPS 2B somewhere on some shit team.

But he has no role here in 2020 and forward.   There's already a better utility guy on the roster with Leury and obviously 2B is Madrigal's unless something really bad happens with his development (injury or otherwise) in the  next 10 months.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

So Yolmer is today's scapegoat for stinking it up in Oakland?  Is it time to release him? 

Yes, I would rather see Madrigal at 2nd base now too. But, for whatever reason, he's not here, so clearly Yolmer is the best we got to put there. Hopefully Madrigal will be there next year, but I really think we gotta ride the season out with Sanchez. Rondon is batting .203, Yolmer is batting .250; that's a huge difference, huge. 

Yes, he started out the year very badly defensively, but if we're gonna cite small samples, he also threw out two guys at home and threw out a guy at 3rd in that one Boston game. There's an awful lot going on defensively for him to have pulled that off. 

I used to coach basketball, and I had this backup senior post player, and he drove me crazy: he'd get burned on out-of-bounds plays, could only score on offensive rebounds; no offensive threat, and he just took up space. Well, after one game I freaked out with my assistants that we gotta quit playing him; he give us nothing. I was yelling at them. They all agreed with his problems, but then they calmly pointed out that there is no one else better. All the guys on JV were too small and could never defend the post or get a rebound. We had to play him because that's all there was to put in as a back up. 

Until Madrigal comes up, Yolmer is all we have at 2nd base, and really, he is far from terrible. 

• Haha 2

Yolmer isn’t all we have at 2nd base.  He is the most easily replaceable person on the team. He’s been giving plenty of chances and it’s time to say goodbye.  

Mendick has earned a shot and should be given given a chance to see what he can do before Magical takes over 2nd permanently.  

If they feel to loyal to the Yolmer to cut him right now then just make him the backup infielder and send Rondon to Charlotte when Timmy gets back.   

Then have Garcia, Jay and Cordell switch between the 2 outfielder spots.  Though I’d prefer to also get rid of Jay to see what Tilson can do with more playing time.  

Yolmer was for several years underrated in my opinion.  He was a slick fielder and the switch hitting was a useful tool for balancing the lineup.  Like regular people doing ordinary jobs...he has gotten very expensive for what he does.  Garcia can do more things as 25th man and do it at less money.  Sad but it works that way in most jobs.  You simply don't want to price yourself out of a job.  Asking for more money in arbitration doesn't work for everyone.