Time for a change ... Don Cooper needs to go

SweatyFreddy

The great pitching guru Don Cooper has been living off 2005 for far too long. I'm well aware the Sox are in a rebuild, but Reynaldo Lopez and Lucas Giolito have taken noticeable steps back this season, and the Sox pitching staff now has MLB's worst WHIP (1.67). Reinsdorf's loyalty (see Gar-Pax and the Bulls) has got to stop.  Replacing Don Cooper is long overdue.

• Like 1

Calling for anyone's firing is a futile act. Change just doesn't come with this organization no matter how badly it needs it. Might as well accept this fact as it is. It is bad enough that the team has go through another losing season without tilting at windmills.

47 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I went to a Season Ticket holder event and Brooks Boyer said that Cooper has his job for  as long as he wants it. So unless Cooper wants to leave, he's here as long as JR owns the team.

Surprise surprise.  This is one of the reasons both the Sox and Bulls are pathetic teams.  Look no further than GarPax with the Bulls.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:01 AM, SweatyFreddy said:

The great pitching guru Don Cooper has been living off 2005 for far too long. I'm well aware the Sox are in a rebuild, but Reynaldo Lopez and Lucas Giolito have taken noticeable steps back this season, and the Sox pitching staff now has MLB's worst WHIP (1.67). Reinsdorf's loyalty (see Gar-Pax and the Bulls) has got to stop.  Replacing Don Cooper is long overdue.

/scratching head

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

How many guys has he even fixed during his time here? Thornton, Quintana, and Kahnle? Anyone else?

What he did with Phil Humber should be mentioned, even  if it was only for 1 season (and then 1 perfect game the next year). But he overall has a pretty extensive list while here IMO.

I think Coop did a very good job for a long time, but 2012 was the last year I could say he did a great job. But he seems to have been a poor fit to work with a bunch of young pitchers at once, which maybe any pitching coach would fail at. 

But overall, I agree with DA that it would just result in Curt Hasler, and the ideal situation where a pitching coach/manager are aligned with a progressive front office ain't happening.

Blaming the pitching coach is such a meatball hot take. 

Just like blaming the hitting coach if a team isn‘t hitting. People were overjoyed when Greg Walker was fired. Yet, I don‘t think you can point to any tangible change. 

It reminds me of people blaming the teacher when their kid is just a dumbass.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Just like blaming the hitting coach if a team isn‘t hitting. People were overjoyed when Greg Walker was fired. Yet, I don‘t think you can point to any tangible change. 

I 100% agree with your premise. I don't blame Coop for the players being bad, I blame the bad players. But it's still time Coop goes. Maybe it doesn't solve anything, but it's time to get someone in there that is willing to be flexible with the changes in the game and not so hard headed in his ways that had worked for so long. 

It's the same reason you're going to see a new manager on the North Side next year. They're a good front office who will let people go when it's time, even if the failures can't be traced to that one person. 

Edited by mqr

53 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

If the coach has no tangible effect on the success of the players, who cares if they are fired?

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Lets see how it goes with Kopech and Cease. Instead of judging him by the garbage pitching staff we have now.

Rodon, Giolito, & Lopez were concensus top 50 prospects and the former two guys were top 10 at one point.  I don’t blame him for Lucas as he had lost a ton of his prospect shine before coming here, but he should be held responsible for Rodon & Lopez.