Time for a change ... Don Cooper needs to go

SweatyFreddy

When successful and smart organizations get rid of pitching coaches like they have people scouts then I'll stop holding our own pitching coaches accountable for the success of the players. It's not like I am demanding coop fix Ervin Santana or James Shields, I just want to see our young pitching prospects sustain success under him instead of being vacillating between bad and "worst pitcher in baseball".

7 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

How many guys has he even fixed during his time here? Thornton, Quintana, and Kahnle? Anyone else?

Uh...Jenks, Loiaza, Floyd, Santiago, Santos, Humber, all come to mind

The list is pretty extensive, he's turned a lot of absolute messes into competent arms

To me Coop is still one of the best in the game, certainly not the problem although I would like to see more consistency from Lopez and Gio

6 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

What he did with Phil Humber should be mentioned, even  if it was only for 1 season (and then 1 perfect game the next year). But he overall has a pretty extensive list while here IMO.

Yup, not the issue

Don't forget that pitchers everywhere are in peril and teams are ramping up specialties for pitching roles. The game is in flux and who knows where it will lead.  Not sure how we see Coop fitting in. I suppose he is more traditional. There is a reason why he is leery about velocity. Maybe AI will take over the game and it won't matter. 

Kahnle was sent to the minors and came back dealing. How does Coop get credit? It seems anyone who has ever struggled but has a decent stretch owes his career to Coop. Like the same thing doesn't happen all around the league. Isn't making pitchers perform better part of the job description 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 2

On 4/15/2019 at 11:49 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Rodon, Giolito, & Lopez were concensus top 50 prospects and the former two guys were top 10 at one point.  I don’t blame him for Lucas as he had lost a ton of his prospect shine before coming here, but he should be held responsible for Rodon & Lopez.

Lopez & Giolito looked ok this time around. Not sure if it was just KC being awful or they are pitching better. Its pretty early to be judging pitching though. But at the end of the year they need to take a long look at the coaching staff.