Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves

SweatyFreddy

The basic problem is - for a front office that was competent, Keuchel would be a poor move with where this franchise sits. For a competent front office, we would have spent money more intelligently last offseason, done a better job identifying and developing players, and we'd at least be pointed in the right direction. We would have confidence that we would do something intelligent with our 2nd round pick, and we'd have confidence that the next free agent or two that they signed - they'd be the last piece of the puzzle. We'd want the competent front office to use its resources intelligently.

The last time someone asked Rick Hahn if he was competent he replied with "How dare you ask me that of course I'm not I can poop whenever I want to". So while signing Keuchel wouldn't be the right move for this franchise, it would be better than most of the moves Rick made last offseason, and no one has any confidence that Rick Hahn won't go onto the free agent market next season and sign a bunch of magic beans to be his 4th starter. All that combined makes Keuchel look reasonable enough that we're going to keep having threads on him until he signs somewhere else. 

6 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Hypothetical: the day after the draft is completed, the White Sox sign Keuchel. What happens?

I know this scenario won't happen, I'm just curious about the draft effects in relation to the penalties stated in the CBA for signing a QO FA.

Nothing.  After the draft there is no penalty.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

That’s like saying no team is dumb enough to sign a guy’s washed up best friend and trade for his declining brother-in-Law before being absolutely sure they will sign that guy too. Or saying no team is dumb enough to trade the number 1 prospect in all of baseball for a declining (frankly bottomed out) starting pitcher, and also agree to take on his enormous and terrible contract in the process.

You just can’t put anything past this FO at this point. 

34 minutes ago, Special K said:

That’s like saying no team is dumb enough to sign a guy’s washed up best friend and trade for his declining brother-in-Law before being absolutely sure they will sign that guy too. Or saying no team is dumb enough to trade the number 1 prospect in all of baseball for a declining (frankly bottomed out) starting pitcher, and also agree to take on his enormous and terrible contract in the process.

You just can’t put anything past this FO at this point. 

The Sox didn't do this. If you are referring to the Tatis deal, he wasn't a number one prospect in baseball when traded.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

The Sox didn't do this. If you are referring to the Tatis deal, he wasn't a number one prospect in baseball when traded.

Yes, I understand that.  But he became a No. 1 prospect.  It's almost sadder that the FO had no idea what they had when they traded Tatis.  San Diego clearly knew what they had, which is why they traded for a guy who hadn't played a single minor league game.  Just shows you how incompetent scouting department is.  

8 minutes ago, Special K said:

Yes, I understand that.  But he became a No. 1 prospect.  It's almost sadder that the FO had no idea what they had when they traded Tatis.  San Diego clearly knew what they had, which is why they traded for a guy who hadn't played a single minor league game.  Just shows you how incompetent scouting department is.  

Front-office and scouting should have been unloaded prior to rebuild honestly.

12 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Front-office and scouting should have been unloaded prior to rebuild honestly.

Agreed.  Fulmer is a bust (unless he can turn out to be a decent reliever).  Collins up in the air.  Burger injured.  Hansen looks to be a reliever.  Burdi injured.  Let's hope they got it right with Madrigal.  That would be 1 out of 6 success rate with that bunch.  I don't think it's unfair of fans to hope they get 1 out of 6 right.  

20 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Keuchel is the poster boy for why the rule about losing a draft pick needs to go

He's also the poster boy for taking the QO unless you are a lead pipe cinch for a long term offer.  He's losing over $100 Grand per game.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:14 AM, Special K said:

To be fair, we have no idea what our scouts told Hahn when the Tatis trade was on the table. Just a year earlier, we gave the kid about $800,000 bonus to sign.

Just now, oldsox said:

To be fair, we have no idea what our scouts told Hahn when the Tatis trade was on the table. Just a year earlier, we gave the kid about $800,000 bonus to sign.

Fair point. Somebody is incompetent though.  Should've just defaulted with Hahn / KW.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I am sure at this point that he and Kimbrell have deals in place for after the draft.

I think deep down the cubs have had this plan with Kimbrell all along. 

Frankly that'd be a little silly for each of them as who knows what teams could realize they're actually competitive and need a player at that position. No one knows if the Mariners could keep this up, but if the Yankees and Red Sox keep struggling, come June the Mariners might say "you know what we're buying and if it gets us to the wild card we'll roll with it". Tampa Bay looks like a world beater right now, but who knows what other pieces of granite might randomly fall on their cy young award winner. They might have offers on the table, but if they're not accepting them, it's not just the draft pick, it's also that the makeup of the league could change by then.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Quin said:

But actually though.

How much would it take to get him on a 1-year deal over the other bidders?

Great question. I have the same question about Kimbrel. Sign them both and let’s see what happens the rest of this season. What’s the worst that can happen? You burn $30M and finish the season below .500 but spark a heck of a lot more fan interest in the rest of this season along the way.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Great question. I have the same question about Kimbrel. Sign them both and let’s see what happens the rest of this season. What’s the worst that can happen? You burn $30M and finish the season below .500 but spark a heck of a lot more fan interest in the rest of this season along the way.

I imagine signing both of them for the rest of the season would cost a lot more than that, just to outbid the other contenders.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This would seem to be an easy decision for FO.  They burned this much chasing absolute crapolla.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Signing Keuchel and giving up a pick would be yet another comedy act.  If they want him, wait a couple of weeks, and then outbid everyone else.

At this point I agree with you, but The chances Keuchel is more valuable than the pick they’d give up is like 99%

Saw some stories at MLB.com where they are dropping hints he's going to sign with (who else?) the Yankees right after the draft. Guess they no longer give a damn about the Luxury Tax threshold (which they are already over...)

• knightni changed the title to Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves